• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firefighters Rescue Teenager Locked In Gun Safe At Sporting Goods Store

If this ever happens to somebody you know...

Hold a vacuum cleaner hose tightly to the seam around the safe door.

The vacuum will cause enough negative pressure to provide enough air circulation to survive long enough to dial it open or get the fire department.

Many safes have an outer layer that is thin enough to drill a small hole into it.

You can drill a small hole at the bottom and a small hole at the top and use a vacuum cleaner hose to create a draft.

Even a screwdriver is enough to pry and release a seal on a door to allow air to flow out of a vacuum cleaner.

Many safes have a hole for an electric cord that is also suitable to pump air in or out - although its at the back of the safe so the safe must not be bolted down for access.

As long as the trapped person can breath, you can take your time opening the safe.

The BassPro store where we bought our safe had every model on the sales floor closed and locked. A sign on each safe directed customers to ask sales staff for assistance. At home, however, our very curious little cat, Gwin, loves to climb into our safe. We always check twice before locking it so she doesn't get trapped in there. She seems to like guns. Too bad we can't teach her how to clean them!

Reminds me of one of my favorite statutes, RIGL 11-9-10:

11-9-10

§ 11-9-10. Abandonment of refrigerator in place accessible to children.

Whoever, having been the owner of any refrigerator, icebox, chest, or other similar article, abandons that refrigerator, icebox, chest, or other similar article in any place accessible to children if the abandoned unit has an attached lid or door which cannot be opened easily from the inside, and who fails to remove the door or doors from it before abandoning the unit, unless the unit may be easily opened from the inside, shall upon conviction be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100).

History of Section.
(P.L. 1955, ch. 3523, § 1; G.L. 1956, § 11-9-10.)

Get blowtorch and apply to the fire seal making the safe air-proof...good idea to accelerate Darwinism for this young rocket scientist.

The BassPro store where we bought our safe had every model on the sales floor closed and locked. A sign on each safe directed customers to ask sales staff for assistance. At home, however, our very curious little cat, Gwin, loves to climb into our safe. We always check twice before locking it so she doesn't get trapped in there. She seems to like guns. Too bad we can't teach her how to clean them!
You might want to get this book:
D5B3AE9F-19F9-491A-8A27-548F22964D02.jpeg

The vacuum will cause enough negative pressure to provide enough air circulation to survive long enough to dial it open or get the fire department.

Many safes have an outer layer that is thin enough to drill a small hole into it.

You can drill a small hole at the bottom and a small hole at the top and use a vacuum cleaner hose to create a draft.

Even a screwdriver is enough to pry and release a seal on a door to allow air to flow out of a vacuum cleaner.

Many safes have a hole for an electric cord that is also suitable to pump air in or out - although its at the back of the safe so the safe must not be bolted down for access.

As long as the trapped person can breath, you can take your time opening the safe.
If this happens to someone I know over 16 I think I would just let natural selection run it’s course. Then I would reflect on my poor parenting skills or judgement in selecting friends.

You might want to get this book:
View attachment 459970
We tried. Here is little Guin, in action. The Glock 26 in the forefront is mine. The Glock 19 behind it belongs to my wife.

Attachments

• 20210310_093430.jpg
    20210310_093430.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 17
Do safes on showroom floors not have default combinations?
The salesman at BassPro opened it for us. We checked the inside, determined it met our needs, paid for it and backed our SUV to the dock area in the rear of the building. A few minutes later, we were driving it home. The model we chose was on sale and fits even a small closet perfectly. Should have chosen a bit larger, though.

Attachments

• 20210310_100201.jpg
    20210310_100201.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210310_100229.jpg
    20210310_100229.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 35

Until they have to poop.

Reminds me of one of my favorite statutes, RIGL 11-9-10:

11-9-10

I guess I'm a BIT old, but damn I remember them talking about refrigerator safety in elementary school every year. It was right after Stop, Drop and Drool and before What To do If You Get Caught In Quicksand.

It was YEARS later that I realized this was due to those lever-open fridges and not the "modern" magnetic-seal fridges. Even the teachers were dumb about it. I recall in 3rd or 4th grade several of us questioning the logic. "Oh no. Those magnets won't let you open them when you are inside." [rofl][rofl]

The salesman at BassPro opened it for us. We checked the inside, determined it met our needs, paid for it and backed our SUV to the dock area in the rear of the building. A few minutes later, we were driving it home. The model we chose was on sale and fits even a small closet perfectly. Should have chosen a bit larger, though.
Um....wut?

I did lock my wife in my gun safe when I ran into some issues replacing the lock and needed an "insider" to diagnose.
She had a flashlight and Allen wrench with her and knew how to unscrew the lock to get out.
With two holes, one for the humidifier cable and another for the keypad cable, I don't think it was unsafe, no pun intended.

I did lock my wife in my gun safe when I ran into some issues replacing the lock and needed an "insider" to diagnose.
She had a flashlight and Allen wrench with her and knew how to unscrew the lock to get out.
With two holes, one for the humidifier cable and another for the keypad cable, I don't think it was unsafe, no pun intended.

How many hours did it take to sort this all out? Was there alcohol involved?

If it was anyone other than you I'd be like how the hell could you possibly know that... but I read reptile and was like yup makes sense

Hahaha imagine if that had turned out poorly for you. No officer I swear I don't know why the cat sat on the airholes

How difficult would it be just to write the combo with a grease pencil, crayon or affix a label somewhere on the outside of the safe?

It's not like they're compromising security or anything.

Depends on how "Italian Job" we're imagining. Drilling a hole and using a fiber optic camera to spy on the code would probably be easier than breaking into the safe outright if this was a common practice. But that being a complete fantasy scenario makes it a bit of a non-factor. Maybe just put a lever on the inside? Something that sits flush and you push it in to have it pop out before you can turn it to make it semi-tamper proof from any type of slim jim?

Depends on how "Italian Job" we're imagining. Drilling a hole and using a fiber optic camera to spy on the code would probably be easier than breaking into the safe outright if this was a common practice. But that being a complete fantasy scenario makes it a bit of a non-factor. Maybe just put a lever on the inside? Something that sits flush and you push it in to have it pop out before you can turn it to make it semi-tamper proof from any type of slim jim?

My safe came with a security screw installed in the edge of the door with a label. You could not lock the door until the screw was removed.

We tried. Here is little Guin, in action. The Glock 26 in the forefront is mine. The Glock 19 behind it belongs to my wife.
Should we be concerned?
Freestatefeline.jpg

This particular cat lacks opposable "thumbs", poses minimal threat (beyond the concealed edged weapons all good cats naturally are packing).

Back
Top Bottom