• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firefighters Rescue Teenager Locked In Gun Safe At Sporting Goods Store

yep, rule of thumb when buying a safe...buy more than you need in that moment.
That's a slippery slope. I did just that. And then I started to look at all that empty space. All I wanted to do is fill it up. I was able to accomplish that. Now I have several locked cases on the shelf beside it. Because I need another safe. It's a vicious cycle. I don't want to get another safe. Because I know once I see empty space. I will want to fill it up.

Can We leave them there for 24 hours so they can figure out they are a Dumbass?
While rescuers are fussing about, failing to unlock the safe,
the victims will be convincing themselves that it's being done on purpose.

Do safes on showroom floors not have default combinations?
How difficult would it be just to write the combo with a grease pencil, crayon or affix a label somewhere on the outside of the safe?

It's not like they're compromising security or anything.
And when some shopper changes the combo on the showroom floor...?
05-how-to-operate-a-safe-13july2013-058.jpg

I guess I'm a BIT old, but damn I remember them talking about refrigerator safety in elementary school every year. ...

It was YEARS later that I realized this was due to those lever-open fridges and not the "modern" magnetic-seal fridges. Even the teachers were dumb about it. I recall in 3rd or 4th grade several of us questioning the logic. "Oh no. Those magnets won't let you open them when you are inside." [rofl][rofl]
Where I come from, people bought mag-seals
and threw out their old lever-open models.

While rescuers are fussing about, failing to unlock the safe,
the victims will be convincing themselves that it's being done on purpose.

And when some shopper changes the combo on the showroom floor...?
05-how-to-operate-a-safe-13july2013-058.jpg

Where I come from, people bought mag-seals
and threw out their old lever-open models.

Didn't think of that (my safe doesn't have it). Wonder if it started as a prank (close door on friend, but not to worry--I know the combination), then the friend inside panicked and pressed the red button?

How difficult would it be just to write the combo with a grease pencil, crayon or affix a label somewhere on the outside of the safe?

It's not like they're compromising security or anything.
Someone might memorize the combo. Then haunt the place until they found out who bought it. Follow the guy home. Case the place for 2-4 weeks to wait for delivery. Next day, GUNS!

remember. There are grown men who bring their gloves to baseball games in case an errant fly ball attacks them.

I got my safe at Dependable Lock in Nashua and all their display safes are programmed with 1-2-3-4-5-6... pretty fool proof and reprogramming while easy takes several steps and is very intentional, no way you could do it by mistake and unless you know how to do it you wouldn’t be able to, they don’t have the manual with instructions on on display...

I've got GITD filament and a 3d printer...
trunk.png
Maybe shape it more like an AR-15 charging handle?

Didn't think of that (my safe doesn't have it). Wonder if it started as a prank (close door on friend, but not to worry--I know the combination), then the friend inside panicked and pressed the red button?
Not saying it's ever yet happened.

I think the Red Button is part of a three-finger salute,
and it's ill-positioned for frantic victim scrabbling inside a safe.
Don't know enough to say one can't trigger a combo reset by accident,
but a deliberate malicious reset was what I had in mind.

But we live in an millennium where there's always some hacker floating around.
Some days it seems like you can't get admitted as an MIT undergrad
if you don't demonstrate some lockpicking skills.

And they want to let these idiots vote. lol
No they just want the name on the voter roll a vote can be assigned to their name. HR1 orders states to put all "persons" not "citizens" on the voter rolls automatically so that team (D) can crank out as many baloney ballots as they want.

That's a slippery slope. I did just that. And then I started to look at all that empty space. All I wanted to do is fill it up. I was able to accomplish that. Now I have several locked cases on the shelf beside it. Because I need another safe. It's a vicious cycle. I don't want to get another safe. Because I know once I see empty space. I will want to fill it up.
Yeah, I said that 3 safes ago too. Now I need a ammo safe, for the extra ammo, that I bought, before the SHTF pricing.

I’d breathe up all the air inside in the first 5 seconds of panic.
A kewl thing about the former bank vault back dining nook
at (the former?) Herrell's by Harvard Square is that
the Oh Sh¡t I Got Locked In panel included a little opening
that you could crank open to admit air.

Photo #3 in this blog post.

I don't think the crank itself turned a fan -
it was just a way to open a hole that was normally closed
(for fire safety?)

Back
Top Bottom