• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fireforming brass: max or min powder load

I have a brand new bag of 6.5CM brass and would like to fireform it to my rifle. This is the first time I've bought brass. Previously, I would buy a few boxes of factory ammo and reuse the brass. Factory brass is typically loaded to the max but I usually load a little lower(use the trick where I increase until I see signs of pressure then back off by 0.1gr until groups stop shrinking in size)

My question is: is there a general consensus as to how much powder to use for fireforming? Min? Max? Same as the load I plan to use?

Last edited:
when i fireform my 30 herretts from 30-30 brass, i use the starting load recommended in my old lyman manual. i'm not going for accuracy obviously, just want to form the brass. of course i also have to reform the brass before i fireform.

12gr of Unique, fill the rest of the case with Cream of Wheat and plug with toilet paper or white bread.
Not kidding, look it up.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time, my powder or my primers doing it.

Last edited:
I would not waste time and materials fireforming factory brass already in the desired chambering.

Why are you fireforming? Your not going to neck size only are youo_O
The idea is to get the brass shoulder matched to the firing chamber and then full-size it with a 0.002 shoulder bump.
This is what I'm looking for(this example is over-exaggerated but it makes the point)
chamber-vs-brass.jpg

The idea is to get the brass shoulder matched to the firing chamber and then full-size it with a 0.002 shoulder bump.
This is what I'm looking for(this example is over-exaggerated but it makes the point)
chamber-vs-brass.jpg
One or two firings and they’ll be there anyways. I could see fireforming if going to an improved chamber or something like that.

chamber-vs-brass.jpg
Heres some orher ways to fireform

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom