• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firewall Avoidance for Weapons Block?

MaverickNH

NES Member
A new company firewall blocks most anything with guns/firearms. Are there any aliasing sites, or something of that sort, that can be used to get around this problem?

We make cosmetic surgery products, and as you might imagine, the standard firewall package blocks almost all human parts we "service" - it even blocks our company site.

One-size fits-all stupidity ...

I might consider not trying to bypass any restrictions they choose to put on you. Not out of respect but out of a sense of self preservation. Auditing and filtering go hand in hand. It's never been an issue for me.

Last edited:
I just had a new firewall installed at work. The co that installed it worked with me setting it up. They wanted to know what I wanted blocked.. I told them nothing. We haven't had a problem with the 100 computers yet, so no nned to block stuff yet.

There is a setting to also block, 'spoofing' sites. (those that try to make you anonymous)

So even if you use one, it might not work.

Have the same problems at work, except their filter is context sensitive and can even work with proxies. When I want to go onto any of these websites I use a USB tether to my cellphone. You do need a decent data plan though.

Alternatively,
You can use google cache. The downside is you won't get latest topics, but it's perfect for browsing historical posts.

Use a remote terminal program like PcAnywhere or VNC or whatnot. Just log
into a machine that's at home, and you can run a browser through the
remotel. The only tailings it will leave behind is the open connection
on the ports it uses, assuming that the firewall isn't so aggressive that it
blocks everything. If you use an encrypted protocol of some sort, even
a primitive one, it will obscure most primitive means of traffic analysis.

Of course, depending on how hard-core your company's AUP is, and whether
or not they enforce it, you obviously want to be mindful of that. A lot of
these "websense" or other filtering things are half assed affairs which are
forced upon a given company by the corporate mothership and not really
monitored. You have to know what you're dealing with in that regard
first... if the people mandating it are fully enabled communists, you're
screwed six ways to sunday, and it's not worth bypassing them, unless you
have another job lined up.

Also, +1 to the verizon EVDO thing... if you have a laptop and can afford it, that's a pretty good
undetectable end around attack. While they might whine at you for "misusing time" they can't say
you're compromising their network in any way.

-Mike

Also, +1 to the verizon EVDO thing... if you have a laptop and can afford it, that's a pretty good undetectable end around attack. While they might whine at you for "misusing time" they can't say you're compromising their network in any way.
Honestly, that is horribly horribly wrong and plain laughable. You are potentially circumventing all of the security your corporation has put in place. Using tools like Websense doesn't make your company a nanny state, sure it could be viewed as a means to enforce the corporate culture and political views but really they are paying you to perform a task other than surfing the web so it is no only their right but potentially a regulatory/due diligence requirement. If you have to ask people how to circumvent the controls that your corporation has put in place to protect their information and assets you are the worst threat to that corporation's information security and integrity. But you all will be the first ones bitching when your non-public information is compromised in some form of a breach.

EDIT: I am horrified to see that your profile indicates you are a network admin. If you truly think that this activity wouldn't compromise your network I have a few links I will send you to click on while at work tethered to a mobile device.

Last edited:
Honestly, that is horribly horribly wrong and plain laughable. You are potentially circumventing all of the security your corporation has put in place.

Not if you have your own machine and you keep work "off the
laptop". (eg, never had connected to their network in any way,
no wireless (other than the cell modem) no cached passwords, nothing.)

I don't see the risk, unless the person that's doing it is deliberately
using the computer to steal internal data. And hell, if they wanted to
do that, they could just use a USB key instead. (course at that point
the security problem is more human than computer based!)

Using tools like Websense doesn't make your company a nanny state,

I beg to differ- instead of installing software to monitor people's
use they should just go back to the old method... which was firing
people that don't produce. People seeking software solutions to
human "problems" is almost always an abject failure. I've never seen
the benefit of content filtering, except for trying to nanny people who
shouldn't be working at a given company to begin with.

sure it could be viewed as a means to enforce the corporate culture and political views but really they are paying you to perform a task other than surfing the web so it is no only their right but potentially a regulatory/due diligence requirement.

Indeed some requirements are by regulation but more often than not
I see content based filtering systems put in place as a matter of corporate
politics and lawyerism. They're not "real security" in any sense. A firewall,
IDS, bandwidth monitoring.... is one thing... but content filtering is usually just plain
obnoxious. Sometimes the filtering even conflicts with existing corporate policy...
eg, a policy may allow for "personal internet use" but then they decide that mary
hairnet buying wigs is acceptable but that some guy browsing a gun board is not..... [rolleyes]

Further, the vast majority of filtering is not installed as a result of
something like, government banking regulations, etc. It's installed because
some PHB thought it would be a good idea to apply a software bandaid
to a human problem, or decided to buy it to suck up the remainder of a
budget allocation.

You missed the part, apparently, where I laced a few disclaimers into
my post, for precisely the reason's you're talking about. Obviously in
some situations doing -anything- to circumvent security would be
unsuitable. People have to use their own discretion and judgement when
it comes to these things. Obviously if the cards aren't in your favor
then you could be fired, have your career ruined, etc. Circumvention is
not acceptable for everyone, I will agree with that. (And in some rare
cases, not adhering to policy can result in criminal charges, but that's doubtful
99.9% of the time, unless you work for the government or a tightly regulated
entity. )

If you have to ask people how to circumvent the controls that your corporation has put in place to protect their information and assets you are the worst threat to that corporation's information security and integrity. But you all will be the first ones bitching when your non-public information is compromised in some form of a breach.

Yes, so installing software that blocks a gun board while allowing phishing
sites that don't have "offensive" keywords in them.... yes... everyone will be
saved at that point. [rolleyes]

EDIT: I am horrified to see that your profile indicates you are a network admin.

Where was the oath about having to agree to crap technology like
content filtering and poorly written process automation software?
I must've missed that memo. There are some things I oppose on
principle, and if it means that the customer has to use a different vendor
than so be it. Theres plenty of other work to be done in computing that
doesn't involve dealing with worthless technology. Yes, opposing
crapware is such an irresponsible concept! There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth if
software like "elrond internet manager" didn't exist.... oh, how did we get
along without it?" [laugh]

If you truly think that this activity wouldn't compromise your network I have a few links I will send you to click on while at work tethered to a mobile device.

I'd love to see someone pull that off.... jump from a laptop that's not connected to a
corporate network in any way shape or form, and have the screen summon an ethereal
fairy which would then pull information out of the air through that compromised machine.
You should call up the NSA- I'm sure they'd love to give you a 6/7 figure job if you have
software that can defeat an entire physical layer of separation. (Note, I'm not doubting the
efficacy of a local root exploit, but making a machine connect to a network
by a network link that doesn't exist would be pretty difficult. )

Edit: Just to be perfectly clear here- A company can make any policy it pleases WRT internet
use, etc. It's their right to do so.... Doesn't mean I necessarily will agree with it, especially
if the policy is misguided and benefits other companies that produce worthless crapware. IMO buying
that stuff is worse than having a policy, as it basically rewards individuals for producing utterly
worthless crap.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom