• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First 1911

I'm looking for my first 1911, there's so much awesome information out there that it's overwhelming. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR1911, from what I've read it's one of the best sub-$1k 1911s that I can get in MA. If anyone has one, I'd love to get their feedback on it.

Also, is there a shop in the Boston metro area with a good selection of 1911s? I'd like to see a couple before I actually purchase one.

Thanks!

If I was going to look at anything I would go to Four Seasons in Woburn....I got my S&W Pro Series there. They had some others. You can call or check out their website. Very knowledgeable and helpful...

There's a couple of colt 1911's up for sale now in the classifieds, one of each, a series 70 & 80, different sellers. Buy the original 1911, colt, if you can find them here. I think but don't quote me, they were under $1K.

SR1911 is outstanding (I have had mine for 2 years and it's my favorite shooter) but I've also heard great things about the Remington R1 Enhanced. (NOT the basic R1.)

I thought you shot my r1 basic .
I love mine. There isn't really a lot of difference between the two besides cosmetic stuff . The enhanced ones I've had my hands on dry firing the trigger felt the same.

I thought you shot my r1 basic .
I love mine. There isn't really a lot of difference between the two besides cosmetic stuff . The enhanced ones I've had my hands on dry firing the trigger felt the same.

I'm trying to remember… I may have shot yours, Ben.

My other buddy also has an R1 basic and I found the slide action, and the controls in general, to be pretty rough compared with the Enhanced models I've handled. So much so, in fact, that it often doesn't return fully into battery when cycling. Could just be a bad example, but the ones I've handled in the shop have similar differences from the Enhanced versions.

Add to that my tendency toward slide bite with my monster meat hooks in the basic version without the beavertail grip safety, and I generally prefer the Enhanced version.

Speaking of entry level 1911's I was debating getting a Ruger SR1911, a Remington R1 or an SR 1911 Commander sized.

Does anyone know of problems with the Commander sized one? I'm talking performance, parts availability etc.

I've been all over the internet looking for decent information and I'm not finding it.

The SR1911 was my first 1911 and it is the best gun I've owned. I like it so much that I bought another in CMD size. If you live near Andover I'd be happy to take you to the range to try it out before you buy one. Just send me a pm if interested. Good luck with your decision.

The ruger SR1911 value is unmatched. Seriously incredible for the price.

personally i am very content w my S&W 1911TA E-series...excellent 1911 but certainly not cheap.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm going to meet Mark later tonight, he's being awesome and letting me try his SR1911. :) Hopefully it all works out and I've got a nice new shiny 1911.

Also, I saw there's a gun show this weekend at Shriner's... Should I hold out for that or just go to a store this week?

Thanks again!

Another reason I preferred the SR1911, but then there are even some who still hold Bill Ruger's opinions against the company he once led.

If people prefer the Remington, I don't begrudge them that choice, despite Remington's political compromises.

I got mine before the drama lol ...

I'd take the ruger over the s&w. Just cause I like my 1911's to have the same parts and every other 1911.

I like my R1 a lot. Took a bit of effort to figure out which mags run best in it but after that it's been dead reliable and a lot of fun to shoot.

I am, however, putting it up for sale soon (NOT because it's a bad gun or there's anything wrong with it) so if you're interested, let me know. Soon enough I'll get off my lazy behind and actually make a "for sale" post.

Why haven't you looked into Springfield ? Nice whole range kit and quality firearm all for. 8 bills

Generally "off-list" guns go for way more than they should... I don't want to pay $200-$300 more than I should just because it's not on the ominous list that no one can get ahold of. If the SR1911 is 95% as good, and I can get it for <$700, I don't think I can get the Springfield for anywhere near that. I'd love to be wrong though.

Just buy the SR1911. I've had mine for a year now. I took it to my gunsmith to get some fiber optic sights put on it and he said for the money its the best 1911 on the market. He should know. Just do it man...

If I could do it all over again I think I'd have saved my pennies and bought a Dan Wesson 1911.
Pretty much this. Since my 1911 is a range toy, it might as well be a true WWII model. That'll take some saving up though.

But on the cheaper side it comes down to Ruger and Remington, as mentioned upthread. Ruger wins hands down on customer service, but you can't get a blued one.

Back
Top Bottom