• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First attempt at fried squirrel and gravy

It was. We got 5 squirrels this morning. Tasted fantastic. Odd thing is one of those squirrels must have been an old hen lol......tough as hell. The other was a tender as eating a chicken drumstick. Taste was amazing and the gravy was awesome.
Nice work!

I like to simmer mine a bit before I fry them. It helps with that odd old rooster mixed in.

not a fan of squirrel but that looks really good. i think when i had it, at a gun club game dinner, the meat may have started to go south. i'd give it a chance again and try this.

Heading out this week to scope some potential hunting areas. I saw that video at work recently. Definitely going to have to try it out.
It's a very easy recipe. Never heard of mayo/egg whisked together for a batter for deep frying. It's outstanding. I used old bay on the squirrel before putting the flour and batter on. Just a little.......it was perfect.

I've never had squirrel. The way the guy in the video cut the pieces, are there little bones you are picking out of your mouth or is it more like chix off the bone? Looks great

I've never had squirrel. The way the guy in the video cut the pieces, are there little bones you are picking out of your mouth or is it more like chix off the bone? Looks great
I cut up squirrels at the joints. Front quarters and back quarters and leave the backstrap piece whole. 90% of the time it's like eating chicken off the bone but......it's small game killed with a shotgun so every now and then your going to find a bone fragment. Have to eat any wild killed small game carefully even rabbit grouse dove etc ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom