• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First buck!!

StevieP

NES Member
slept in until 6:20. got up & dressed & hit the woods by 6:40. I was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y walking to my blind, basically still hunting on the way in when I heard his footsteps off to my left. I hid behind a small pine tree & waited. I peeked around it and he was staring right at me, so ducked behind again... I could hear him take a couple more steps, and I peeked again. He was standing broadside, thirty yards away. I took the shot, and dropped him where he stood with a Remington Premier Accutip bonded sabot slug. I am so stoked. Off to Mass Wildlife to get him checked in.
327778.jpg
1348901.jpg

I'll save the antlers, but don't have the cash to put into getting him mounted. I have a friend who's a bow hunter, who has all the butchering tools & will help me with that part. Field dressing was quite an experience, seeing as I'd never even seen it done, nevermind done it myself. Only seen an on-line video once, and another in the hunter ed. class. I actually think I did a real clean job!

Congrats on your first deer!

My first deer was a big doe - she was mighty tasty! [grin] My first buck had dropped his antlers, LOL: controlled hunt on Bluff Point in CT in mid of Jan (that was a VERY cold and windy day!)

Congrats! Hopefully the bug has bitten and you'll be back next year? I feel like were a dying breed (unless I'm on NES). I walked into a gas station in orange and camo today and you'd think I just dropped a stink bomb!

Last edited:
Congrats. Nice buck. What did he weigh?

Wow, I didn't even realize it's shotgun season. Howie Carr is slipping.

Yes I did field dress it. I'd watched an on-line video from (I think) Kentucky Outdoors (i.e. Mass Wildlife), and also one during hunter ed. class. I had the field dressing gloves, and a really SHARP Browning folding hunting knife. Someone who knows what he's doing could probably do it in ten minutes, but I took my time, and did it in like, a half hour. Pretty clean job if I say so myself and considering I'd never done it before or even seen it done in person.

He weighed 142 lbs dressed at Mass Wildlife HQ in Westboro, so I figure +/- 170 lbs "before." They said he's three and a half years old. I've cut out the tenderloins, and the rest is "dry aging" hanging in the garage.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I'm sure it won't be my last.

Yes I did field dress it. I'd watched an on-line video from (I think) Kentucky Outdoors (i.e. Mass Wildlife), and also one during hunter ed. class. I had the field dressing gloves, and a really SHARP Browning folding hunting knife. Someone who knows what he's doing could probably do it in ten minutes, but I took my time, and did it in like, a half hour. Pretty clean job if I say so myself and considering I'd never done it before or even seen it done in person.

He weighed 142 lbs dressed at Mass Wildlife HQ in Westboro, so I figure +/- 170 lbs "before." They said he's three and a half years old. I've cut out the tenderloins, and the rest is "dry aging" hanging in the garage.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I'm sure it won't be my last.

well done

Congrats! Hopefully the bug has bitten and you'll be back next year? I feel like were a dying breed (unless I'm on NES). I walked into a gas station in orange and camo today and you'd think I just dropped a stink bomb!

I grew up in the tristates of Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois. It was a given that soon as whitetail and turkey season rolled around, all the boys would be out of class. You could tell how the whitetail season was going by how many of my neighbors had them hanging in the front yard. Will never see anything like that up here.

Congrats on the deer Stevie. Always makes for a great memory and a story you can share amongst fellow hunters. And field dressing by yourself is something to be proud of. I never could do it right so friends would always have to help out.

Back
Top Bottom