First Build(s)

tommyc

NES Member
Now that I’m retired and have the time I’ve purchased several 80% lowers. My question is to you that have done this would you recommend a drill press or a mini milling machine? Any particular brand or model? Thanking you all in advance.

Tommyc

Depends upon what you want for results.

You can use a hand drill and a router. It'll be a less than perfect finish, but it will work.
Or you can mill it out, and depending upon your skills and patience, you can get a perfect finish.
DefCad is out with their Ghost Gunner 3, 2's are being sold on Ebay.

Whichever way you go, you need a jig - and pay attention to your trigger pin holes. To do them properly, you should drill them undersize and hone them. Or just drill them and go with "good enough is good enough". Either way - get them in the right place.

Thank you Allen
Patience is something I’ve been working on (for 70 years), Ive purchased the neces jigs, my skill level on a scale of 1-10 is probably a 3.

Tommyc

i like to tell the true story of a friend of mine, a 80+ year old bartender from a club i frequent, who built his own 80% at the kitchen table, the lower in the jig, held between his knees, hogging it out with a hand drill. it worked, it functioned as it should, pin holes perfect. moral of the story, we don't need no stinking fancy tools.

i like to tell the true story of a friend of mine, a 80+ year old bartender from a club i frequent, who built his own 80% at the kitchen table, the lower in the jig, held between his knees, hogging it out with a hand drill. it worked, it functioned as it should, pin holes perfect. moral of the story, we don't need no stinking fancy tools.
My father is 85 and I barely trust him to use a spoon let alone making an 80%

Not cheap to get into but great to have access to a mill (and add a 7x14 lathe to round out a desktop machining setup)

The LittleMachineShop brushless drive unit is better but the cost is higher

Will be about $1500 for the machine and basic tools to start.

Last edited:
If you go with a small "mill/drill", no need for a jig. That's what the handwheel dials are for. I got my RF45 square column mill drill off craigslist for $600. Have made all sorts of fun toys with it. Once you have the tools, all sorts of interesting possibilities will come to mind.

Not cheap to get into but great to have access to a mill (and add a 7x14 lathe to round out a desktop machining setup)

The LittleMachineShop brushless drive unit is better but the cost is higher

Will be about $1500 for the machine and basic tools to start.
You can get the 10" HF lathe and put the 16" bed on to make it more usable.

You can get the 10" HF lathe and put the 16" bed on to make it more usable.
I have the 14" version which was cheaper to buy 15+ years ago than to get the HF and upgrade (I don't even think LMS had the kit at the time)

I have the 14" version which was cheaper to buy 15+ years ago than to get the HF and upgrade (I don't even think LMS had the kit at the time)
I can't even imagine how inexpensive yours was 15 years ago! Mine was relatively inexpensive compared to now. I think $430ish or so with the 20% off coupon plus whatever the the 16" bed cost at LMS. You could do well with tooling at Enco but sadly they are gone now.

I can't even imagine how inexpensive yours was 15 years ago! Mine was relatively inexpensive compared to now. I think $430ish or so with the 20% off coupon plus whatever the the 16" bed cost at LMS. You could do well with tooling at Enco but sadly they are gone now.
I think it was $299 which was quickly dwarfed by tooling

I just use a Modulus jig and a Ryobi finish router. Make small passes, take your time, and use light and gentle motions, and you'll have a superb finish.

Most hobby grade drill presses have too much run-out for smooth passes to get you a uniform finish. It'll look wavy

Been my experience, I've done more than a few with no problems to speak of.

Hat's off to you. A lot of people just want to assemble finished pieces these days. True parts fabricators are few and far between. 70? Heck, you're still a youngster; I'm 77.
Almost any tabletop mill is going to be more accurate than most drill presses. Machining is supposed to be accurate and maintaining top level quality is something to be proud of.

My jig came with instructions to drill all holes clear through from one side, through the other. I think they call it "peck drilling".
I've been a machinist for 50+ years and still occasionally manage to get a bit that wants to wander. Any introduced error only compounds itself from step to step.
I refined the exit side, side plate by picking up the exit hole centers, then drilling them out to accept steel drill bushings. That way I can drill each hole in from both sides with very little chance of wandering.
Also remade the top drill guide plates out of 4130 chrome moly bar stock. The originals are aluminum and even if you're lined up exactly, dragging chips up through the guide holes will eventually wallow them out.
With good tooling and fixtures, any parts made are all identical and interchangeable.

Back
Top Bottom