First gun for carry and Target

yes, seems like the most popular choice in every gun shop at the moment tbh. Seems someone is fondling a compact in every shop everywhere all the time. :)

Last edited:
I feel weird suggesting this since I don't own one, but you really can't go wrong with a 9mm shield given they're one of the most popular carry guns, and the rebate ends up giving you it at crazy good price.

would a sig P320 be good for a beginner?
perhaps.. i think a p229 9mm would be a better choice.
Some guns are good for carry and target... but just like anything else specialized tool for specialized tasks.

Youll end up with more than one gun.. the classic p series (220 226 229) will never be a purchase you regret.

Try (shoot) a number of pistols before you make your choice.

If you're going to carry it a lot, size is really important. You won't carry something that's not comfortable or convenient.

The Shield is popular, as is the G43. I have an LC9s which is about the same size as the Shield and G43.

I just looked at the size of the P320 Subcompact. It's not a small subcompact. It's a full inch longer and half a pound heavier than my Ruger LC9s. And I'll say some days I wish the LC9s was a little smaller.

See the silver lining in a small gun. You'll probably shoot it a lot since lives depend on carry gun skills. If you can master a little gun it will make you a much better marksman. For a challenge I'm working my way through the NRA Pistol Qualification ratings (pro-marksman, marksman first class,...) with the LC9s. I'm 900 rounds into it and it's really improved my fundamentals and trigger finger.

Oh, and WELCOME to the board[wave]

Last edited:
Take a look at the Walther PPS gen2 in 9mm. Makes a comfortable carry gun. If you want to go bigger find a Glock 19. The Sig 320 is also nice but feels bigger than a G19 for carry purposes.

Ever since San Bernadino, I carry a Glock 19.

Find one, buy a good holster and a few Pre-ban 15 round magazines. It's a carry and target gun, you just need to get your head around carrying something that size.

Most of the sheep are clueless, and you can walk through life without worrying about it.

First gun for carry and Target

Unfortunately almost no single handgun will fill both these jobs perfectly.
Concealed Carry almost always means "short barrel, light weight, low profile, 9mm or better caliber"
Target almost always means "full-length barrel (5"+) super-light trigger, adjustable sights, .22 right through .45+"

To that I say: What is your biggest need right now?

Like mentioned above, The S&W Shield-9 will allow you a sturdy, well received and dependable platform that you will have fun with at 50 yard targets.
Oh, and they are on sale until June 30, 2017. $75 bucks will buy a lot of 9mm to practice with...

180051_01_lg_3.jpg

~Matt

Last edited:
For concealed carry, it's tough to beat a Shield. And as already stated, price is great right now. I'd go with the 9.

I just googled athol, ma. There are a few gun shops near you. Visit all of them, discuss what you're looking for, and hold an dry-fire a few guns.

Most likely, you'll choose a Shield 9mm (no safety) and pick the lowest price out of those stores and then apply the $75 MIR.

perhaps.. i think a p229 9mm would be a better choice.
Some guns are good for carry and target... but just like anything else specialized tool for specialized tasks.

Youll end up with more than one gun.. the classic p series (220 226 229) will never be a purchase you regret.

I'll agree that a P-series is a good investment. I just started carrying concealed this week, the 229's weights isn't bad at all with a nice holster. You might want to either visit a range and rent a bunch of guns or borrow your friends to shoot. Once you find one you like, invest in a good holster and play around with its location until its comfy and concealed. Also not to derail anything are there any 229 carries here that have pointers on how to keep the grip from printing heavily?

G19, Sig 320, Shield, nothing new here.
Ask around and try some out first to see what you like. YouTube reviews only tell part of the story, you may be surprised when you actually hold and shoot.

I'm looking for suggestions on a first gun. Looking for a gun that I can carry concealed and use for targets. Would a sig P320 be good for a beginner?

That's a fine choice. or as others have said the SW Shield 9 is great (just go ahead and have the apex trigger put in - don't fight it as a new shooter the stock MA trigger will discourage you, just like it discourages experienced shooters).

No love here for the Ruger LC9s? Absolutely great gun. Very similar in size and features to the Shield. And no one makes a trigger kit for it because there's no point. The LC9s has a great trigger right from the factory.
{The "s" stands for striker fired, as opposed to the hammer fired one.}

Last edited:
No love here for the Ruger LC9s? Absolutely great gun. Very similar in size and features to the Shield. And no one makes a trigger kit for it because there's no point. The LC9s has a great trigger right from the factory.
{The "s" stands for striker fired, as opposed to the hammer fired one.

Agreed. Love my LC9s and it does have a very nice trigger from the factory. Very comfortable to carry as well. Can't beat it for the price, great entry point.

I'll agree that a P-series is a good investment. I just started carrying concealed this week, the 229's weights isn't bad at all with a nice holster. You might want to either visit a range and rent a bunch of guns or borrow your friends to shoot. Once you find one you like, invest in a good holster and play around with its location until its comfy and concealed. Also not to derail anything are there any 229 carries here that have pointers on how to keep the grip from printing heavily?

It depends on alot of things..if its cool enough to wear a hoodie i do.. if not i just dont worry about it too much. People in MA are oblivious to such things and anyone who notices wont care..

i usually carry a 5 shot .357 s&w 360pd when i feel like traveling light. I took me awhile to cave and give up 17+1rd capacity of 9mm but itll get the job done.

Sig 320C - great gun, but for the size you can get a similar sized gun that accepts pre-bans
Sig 229 - excellent gun with 13 round capacity, but for a first time carrier it's freaking heavy
Glock 19 - perfect medium. Smaller then 320 (not by much), lighter then 229 and you can run 15 rounders.
Shield - great CCW gun, but low round count and it's a 20 footer due to barrel length
LC9 - same as Shield with a side of ehh

My suggestion, buy once cry once. Grab a 19 and a 26 at the same time.
That way you can switch back and forth between the two due to clothing choices. Plus you can use the 19 mags in the 26.

Glock 19. Perfect size for both carry and range work, lightweight, and very reliable. Relatively easy, though somewhat costly, to buy 15 round pre-ban mags. The MA compliant 10 round mags can be had for around 20 dollars a piece direct from Glock.

Keep your eye on the classifieds if you're interested, every so often a gen 2 will appear for a decent price.

Get a G19. Prebans are out there and accessories are plentiful and usually cheap. At current shield prices it would be hard for me to pass on one of those as well as the G19 though.

Thank you everyone, going to try and shoot a few before I get a gun. Wish it didn't take so long to get my ltc.

It's worth the wait. First time you are in a gun shop where you can buy a firearm legally you'll be a like a kid in a candy store. Hide your CC because once your eyes get all ougly mougly the final receipt can be downright painful to look at.

Back
Top Bottom