• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First PRS match

PappyM3

NES Member
I took my 16” 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10 to my first PRS match and it was the first time taking the gun out past 200 yards. Overall, it was a lot of fun, met a lot of great people, and gained a lot of confidence in this rifle. I did have one failure to extract malfunction but it was otherwise good.

For anybody that was out with me, thanks for helping me along as a new competitor.

It was definitely challenging. Not just from a technical perspective, but also from getting a handle on the procedures during the rushed cadence and to validate my ballistic calculator drops during a match.

Overall, I think I did pretty well for a first time out. Definitely a lot of room for improvement. I managed to take top of my division, but that’s not saying much and I was pretty low on the overall scoreboard.

I was pretty happy with the performance out at 1k yards. After a couple shots of missed wind reads, I hit 4 IPSC targets in a row out there. That’s rather satisfying. But then the wind started reversing occasionally.

Lessons learned:
- Get your mind right, try to forget the stress as a new competitor. On my first stage, it was steadily increasing targets from 300-780. This should have been fairly easy, but I got in my head and only got 4 hits out of the 8 shots I got off. My fundamentals mostly went out the window. Trigger squeeze was fine, but I did not get a natural point of aim, nor did I incorporate breathing into my shot cadence.

- Practice getting into a position and your shot cadence at home. Now that I know the timeline of most stages (105 seconds), I can practice some timed dryfire to get the pace down pat.

- KYL targets are a bitch. Validating your ballistic calculations beforehand and getting your wind reads on point are key. It doesn’t help that my first 5 shots were with the wrong dope dialed in. Which leads me to…

- Make your DOPE cards clearly readable to be easy to check quickly under stress. I accidentally dialed on my stage number instead of the DOPE. I’ll have to more clearly differentiate them next time.

- Don’t forget about your parallax settings. Accidentally left mine at 300 yards until I got to the 2nd to last stage at 1k.

Last edited:
Congratulations on making it to your first match. Getting outside your comfort zone is the biggest hurdle. It was definitely a challenging day with the heat.

Taking notes and accessing your performance is key like you are. We build on each match and try to get better.

Hopefully, you can get out and attend some of our other ranges and matches in New Hampshire and New York.

Biggie

That’s awesome. Went to a beginner PRS event at Granby a couple years back and had a very similar experience as you. It’s a lot of fun. Got a warm fuzzy feeling when I hit the 1000 yard target. Though I only hit it once. My dope was less then stellar but still fun.

Nice job and congrats! Pressure for competition and time constraints definitely is a different animal than simply shooting for fun at your own pace. Sounds like a great day for you and as you acclimate to the routine the scores will climb.

Excellent "lessons learned list". Thanks for posting that.

Congratulations sounds like you did well for your first match. Making impacts at that distance for the first time is a really good feeling. Sometimes it is even harder spotting misses as you saw. And switchy winds are tough too. We learn stuff every time and try to improve while having fun.
It sure was hot in that sun.

How did you get your wind holds being your first time past 200 yards with that gun (and possibly that round)?

I used both StrelokPro and Applied Ballistics ballistic calculators and cross-checked their calculations, to include spin drift and coreolis effect, which combined added left 0.3 MIL windage at 1k. The wind calculations seemed pretty close

I’ll need to stretch the gun out a couple more times to be more comfortable with the DOPE I collected though.

Also, there is a degree of fudge factor due to my wind reading ability. I could easily be a few MPH off on my wind read at any given call.

Last edited:
Congratulations sounds like you did well for your first match. Making impacts at that distance for the first time is a really good feeling. Sometimes it is even harder spotting misses as you saw. And switchy winds are tough too. We learn stuff every time and try to improve while having fun.
It sure was hot in that sun.
Thanks. Yeah, spotting misses is something I’ll have to improve. With my rifle being somewhat light and not actually designed for this sport, it can be a little jumpy after the shot. And it was much more pronounced when I didn’t position my body directly behind the gun. I’ll have to work on paying attention to that next time when I get into positions.

And it’s even tougher with no dirt or rocks behind.

Wind was mostly right to left Saturday but also nothing to almost a mil for me out far
Yeah. Wind was light, mostly consistent, and easy to manage for most of the day. Especially the first half of the morning. The biggest adjustment for me was similar at probably 1.2 MIL on stage 1, which was my 2nd to last stage of the day.

It wasn’t until my last stage at the end of the day when it started to switch a little. At that point it was only stages 2 and 3 still shooting.

And it’s even tougher with no dirt or rocks behind.

Wind was mostly right to left Saturday but also nothing to almost a mil for me out far
Berms had a lot of vegetation close to the plates? Makes for some very difficult spotting of a miss!

Yeah. Wind was light, mostly consistent, and easy to manage for most of the day. Especially the first half of the morning. The biggest adjustment for me was similar at probably 1.2 MIL on stage 1, which was my 2nd to last stage of the day.

It wasn’t until my last stage at the end of the day when it started to switch a little. At that point it was only stages 2 and 3 still shooting.
wind picked up a bit towards end of day. it was pretty consistent 4-5mph full value right to left most of the morning. Later in the day I don't think it was really switching so much as the speed picked up a bit and there was a left to right wind out past the 400yd berm that was inconsistent. Overall it wasn't bad. My rifle is a 4.5mph gun and I hit 1k with a 1mil hold and then next stage held .5mil @400 on the barricade and still dropped a shot off the left edge. oh well.

Berms had a lot of vegetation close to the plates? Makes for some very difficult spotting of a miss!
some, but I'd say overall Granby is the easiest to spot your misses. There's really only 3 targets against brush, one at 613yds and two at 950-980. The rest are against berms or on a dirt hillside.

wind picked up a bit towards end of day. it was pretty consistent 4-5mph full value right to left most of the morning. Later in the day I don't think it was really switching so much as the speed picked up a bit and there was a left to right wind out past the 400yd berm that was inconsistent. Overall it wasn't bad. My rifle is a 4.5mph gun and I hit 1k with a 1mil hold and then next stage held .5mil @400 on the barricade and still dropped a shot off the left edge. oh well.

some, but I'd say overall Granby is the easiest to spot your misses. There's really only 3 targets against brush, one at 613yds and two at 950-980. The rest are against berms or on a dirt hillside.
Same A through G (or whatever letter) positions as usual?

That's open now?
If you got the email about qualifications and requirements to shoot from there it might answer some questions. It was open for the match, we also shot from there after clearing brush, weed whacking and setup last month in preparation for the match. I don’t know when members will be able to shoot from there or who you speak to about getting qualified and who to pay.
The match was fun first time being able to have a match up there. I thought it went well

Like MC56 said, some especially G just left of the 1000

Also a plate was placed in front of a large stump and blended in once the white paint was gone, it helps if you have young good eyes and a clear scope ;) otherwise just another challenge

Like MC56 said, some especially G just left of the 1000

Also a plate was placed in front of a large stump and blended in once the white paint was gone, it helps if you have young good eyes and a clear scope ;) otherwise just another challenge
I'm starting to become a big fan of the gray primer paint that Eric is using at F.O.D. That shit does not come off and keeps the targets a solid color throughout the day. I'll take a consistently dark, solid color target over a shot up neon/white painted target any day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom