First Radio Recommendations - Mobile

Hi,

I'm taking the test Saturday (hoping I pass, study with hamtestonline.com). I'm looking for recommendations on a first radio that I can use mobile (car, home, out and about). My primary purpose is emergency/shtf and not spending a ton of money but reliability and ability to potentially recharge with a solar charger (any recommendations there?).

Thanks.
JC (potential Ham)

I picked up the Yeasu FT-60 for $160. Pretty decent radio for the money and it has a memory that stores 1000 entries. I also picked up the programming software and was able to load all the 2M repeaters into it in seconds.

Edit: Picked up a $25 mag mount and a $15 dollar adapter that greatly increases my range from my truck. In other words for less than $200 you can get set up pretty good. Also you don't need a license to buy a radio, i picked one up and have been listening for the last month and it's really motivating me to get my license.

Last edited:
+1 for the FT-60. Great dual-band handheld. For SHTF you can get a battery pack that accepts standard AA batteries. I use the free software (FT60 Commander).

For mobile, a mag mount car antenna works great. For short money you can also stick a 2M/70cm dual band antenna on the roof of the house and you'll be able to hit a lot of repeaters from home.

It's a haul, but NEAR-Fest is in a week half in Deerfield, NH. It's probably the biggest Ham flea market in the north east. It only happens twice per year.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE TEST!

Last edited:
Guys thanks so much, much appreciated, I'll check out that radio and for fun let you know if I pass Saturday! Cockpitbob, any idea how much that would be to setup the roof antenna, I like the idea of multiple uses out of one rig.

Thanks!

One other question, newbie question, can you listen in on Police/Fire/EMS stations on that or any other Ham radio? What about in an emergency scenario can you call into a first responder frequency (sounds like a no no I'm sure, but just wondering technically).

One other question, newbie question, can you listen in on Police/Fire/EMS stations on that or any other Ham radio? What about in an emergency scenario can you call into a first responder frequency (sounds like a no no I'm sure, but just wondering technically).

You can listen to a lot of those frequencies, but you can't transmit outside the ham bands without physically modifying the circuitry of the radio (referring to the FT-60).

Like ochmude says, yup. I have one memory bank filled with the fire and police frequencies for the towns around me and let it scan. However, lots of the public service agencies are now using "trunking" systems that only a trunking radio can receive. So, it may or may not be very useful in your area.

Cockpitbob, any idea how much that would be to setup the roof antenna, I like the idea of multiple uses out of one rig.
Thanks!
The cable may be the most expensive part. Because the frequencies are high you'll need RG8, LMR400 or a similar low loss cable at about $1/ft. You should put a lightning arrestor on the cable (~$30). Then the choice of antennas is endless. You can make a simple 2M groundplane or J-pole antenna for $10-$15 or you can go high-end with a Cushcraft 2M/70cm Ringo Ranger for $130. Lots of good antenna information on NES here.

As for me, I have a "roll up" J-pole made from 300 ohm TV antenna wire hanging in my office for the HT and a 2M/440 J-pole up in the attic for the base station.

Let us know how you did on the exam!

Hey guys, passed! Now the tough part, choosing first radio. I'm thinking of a mobile unit that I can move back and forth between car and house. Anyone ever do this?

Also very interested in a setup to run off a car batter and charge that battery via solar for true "off the grid" preparedness, welcome to any thoughts.

Thanks!

Hey guys, passed! Now the tough part, choosing first radio. I'm thinking of a mobile unit that I can move back and forth between car and house. Anyone ever do this?

Also very interested in a setup to run off a car batter and charge that battery via solar for true "off the grid" preparedness, welcome to any thoughts.

Thanks!

Unless you're using whatever radio you buy very sparingly it's unlikely a solar charger will meet your needs. Generally the solar part is in addition to a regular system. My advice to you is to buy a radio that meets your needs. I've never had any luck using a handheld in a mobile environment. The audio output power usually isn't good enough for you to hear well over road noise in most vehicles. Lots of hams use a radio in both mobile and base applications with a power supply. But like almost everyone else you'll get tired of moving it back and forth and buy one for each location. Handhelds are nice but not everyone can use them. In order for them to be of even moderate utility the repeater you want to use has to be either close by or have really substantial coverage. There aren't any handheld usable 2 meter repeaters near me so mine collects dust. I use it on the rare occasions I travel. Welcome to ham radio! Have fun with it.

For both home and car I'm still using a 2M mobil that I picked up at a flea mkt for $65 (NEARFest is this weekend). I have a cig lighter plug on it and a female one on my power supply in the shack. I just set the radio on the front seat of whatever car I'm driving and stick the mag antenna to the roof. Of course, I don't use it all that much. If I did I would get tired of commuting the radio between home and car like capewalk says.

ETA: Congratulations on getting your ticket. [cheers][rockon]

Back
Top Bottom