First radio suggestions??

Welcome to the hobby. I started with an ICOM T-70A handheld. Never regretted it, ICOM makes a newer handheld now. Well worth the money in my opinion if you can afford it. Check out the ICOM 7300 when you start looking for a base station. My Elmer is a big ICOM guy so I was “guided “ in that direction. There are other good radio MFGs out there.

Is the 7300 worth the grand after rebate? What does one need for accessories and antenna to get it up and running for HF/VHF/UHF?

What else should one look at? Already have a couple
BF handhelds.

Thinking about starting with the SDRPlay Rx only but it's $160 with accessories.

Is the 7300 worth the grand after rebate? What does one need for accessories and antenna to get it up and running for HF/VHF/UHF?

BF handhelds.

Thinking about starting with the SDRPlay Rx only but it's $160 with accessories.
I think it is but for another $100 I think the YAESU FT-991A is a better buy.

That Yaesu FT-991A does give you VHF-UHF capabilities. Can also look at the Kenwood TS-2000, but that is 20 year old tech. (still works fine without the fancy displays though)

j-

Interesting range table
$4k and your good to go!
In Stock! $2600, $275, $68
Power $408, $440
Base station ground rod $13.50 plus wire & rod clamp

In Stock! $2600, $275, $68
Caveat:

Normal turnkey ham HF shortwave transceivers are band-restricted
in a way that I don't think (more expensive for very similar innards?) Marine SSB rigs are.
However, Marine SSB rigs may last longer when installed in a boat.

At least one ham has been willing to skinflint with a merely kilobuck
HF transceiver (Yaesu FT-897) even though it means they can only talk to hams in a pinch.

Which is reasonable, because while there must be some dedicated yachtsmen
who mount a meaningful radio watch on their SSB gear, there are plenty of
ham yachtsmen and their hangers-on who definitely monitor traditional
maritime mobile ham frequencies and hold periodic nets. So there are lots
of hams trying to listen for ham boats in trouble.

But I've read of a guy who installed a ham rig in his boat,
totally protected in the cabin -
perhaps never even unboxed until going inside the cabin.
He discovered after only one summer that the radio was ruined
just from the salt air - the PC board had turned to green crap.

So I wouldn't drop a lot of coin on a ham shortwave transceiver for boat use
without a cunning plan to protect it from atmospheric corrosion.

Many sailboats with Marine SSB install insulators at both ends of their mast backstay,
and use that as the antenna.

Then again, sailboat topsides are busy enough that no one's mounting a whip antenna
on the cabin top. Depending on what else is going on, either top of the mast
or some monstrosity hanging off the stern, like where they mount most radomes.

But I've read of a guy who installed a ham rig in his boat,
totally protected in the cabin -
perhaps never even unboxed until going inside the cabin.
He discovered after only one summer that the radio was ruined
just from the salt air - the PC board had turned to green crap.

So I wouldn't drop a lot of coin on a ham shortwave transceiver for boat use
without a cunning plan to protect it from atmospheric corrosion.

Many sailboats with Marine SSB install insulators at both ends of their mast backstay,
and use that as the antenna.

Then again, sailboat topsides are busy enough that no one's mounting a whip antenna
on the cabin top. Depending on what else is going on, either top of the mast
or some monstrosity hanging off the stern, like where they mount most radomes.
Marine and Mil equipment have IPX ratings and conformally (epoxy or parylene) coated electronics.
I'll have to check on restricted frequency capabilities on the ICOM M803, that's a new one to me.
The whip antenna is mainly for non-sailboat applications, and could be used off season at home.

Last edited:
If you want to actually learn, get the book: The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual Spiral Spiral-bound – June 4, 2018 edition

If you want to just pass the test, I'd suggest downloading the HamStudy app. Has all of the latest questions/answers, practice tests and explanations for each answer; technician, general and amateur extra. I started studying Monday, passed the technician test today.

IMO

I'm going to ask this here instead of starting a new thread. I'm not really interested in ham as a hobby, but I am interested in knowing what's going on if the SHTF. If I bought something like the Icom IC-V86, would I be able to transmit at all, on any frequencies without having a license?

Just for the record, I'm a total new RE Tardeau with this stuff. Also not looking to highjack the thread. If there's another one more appropriate feel free to move it.

I'm going to ask this here instead of starting a new thread. I'm not really interested in ham as a hobby, but I am interested in knowing what's going on if the SHTF. If I bought something like the Icom IC-V86, would I be able to transmit at all, on any frequencies without having a license?

Just for the record, I'm a total new RE Tardeau with this stuff. Also not looking to highjack the thread. If there's another one more appropriate feel free to move it.
Nope except in an Emergency. There are better and more options than this.

what would you suggest? Thanks!!
IDK I think if it's a disaster any AM/FM radio is going to give you more information than Ham bands. Hard to beat cell phones for communication other than that a cheap dual band with VHF/UHF would be good to follow the local repeaters if they are not down or you can monitor 146.52 simplex. and maybe 156.800. My daughter just bought a new CB and that might come in in a pinch. I strongly suggest going for your Ham license, it opens a whole new ball game and it's not hard to get.

what would you suggest? Thanks!!
IDK I think if it's a disaster any AM/FM radio is going to give you more information than Ham bands. Hard to beat cell phones for communication other than that a cheap dual band with VHF/UHF would be good to follow the local repeaters if they are not down or you can monitor 146.52 simplex. and maybe 156.800. My daughter just bought a new CB and that might come in in a pinch. I strongly suggest going for your Ham license, it opens a whole new ball game and it's not hard to get.
I got a uv5r and an ed fong antenna several years back. I have been able to listen to stuff within 30 miles. I never got a ham license so never attempted to xmit. I might get the license in short order now though......
Go for it.

Thanks. I've been looking into getting the license now. They have tests pretty close to me on a regular basis, so I'll probably just do it.

I am interested in knowing what's going on if the SHTF. If I bought something like the Icom IC-V86, would I be able to transmit at all, on any frequencies without having a license?
For what purpose?
No one will want to talk to you.

Nope except in an Emergency.
Cite?

Why, because I'm not part of the club? Is it like the jeep club or the Harley club?
Because you don't have a call sign.

And when you try and use someone else's,
half of them will figure it out within 90 seconds.

And some of them will be motivated
to use direction finding equipment to locate your house.

Is that the kind of attention you're looking for?

None, unless you're controlling a satellite in orbit.

Negatory. None, nada, nil, zilch.
It just attracts the attention of people who want to dime you out.
I saw grms supports text messaging. One can encrypt/decrypt text .

Any radio computer sw that supports this ? Can you text the space station?

I saw grms supports text messaging. One can encrypt/decrypt text .
4u7c1t.jpg

BF handhelds.

You can do a search on U-toob for the Icom 7300 and also for the Yaesu FT-991A.

There are numerous videos on each.

Some videos will show what each radio is capable of, and there are also other videos that do a comparison between the "pros & cons" of the 2 transceivers.

Because you don't have a call sign.

And when you try and use someone else's,
half of them will figure it out within 90 seconds.

And some of them will be motivated
to use direction finding equipment to locate your house.

Is that the kind of attention you're looking for?

So if SHTF (for real), you're telling me I'm going to upset the Ham Community by asking if anyone knows what's going on, because I don't have a call sign.

Also, I did say it's probably worth just taking the test and being done with it. Sounds like an awfully fickle community though if they're going to report me to the Feds for asking what's going on in an emergency situation, because I don't have a special piece of paper issued by the government saying it's okay for me to do something.

(This has swayed much too far from the topic - apologies, that was not my intent)

Back
Top Bottom