• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First rifle for 13 year boy ?

Is there an -ideal- training rifle; BB/Pellet or .22, what action/stocks/sights-scope, tripod, bench rest- sled-to sling or not to sling ? ; budget unlimited.

How about the best family club in the Lakes Region NH ??

Stateline Guns, Ammo and Archery had a couple Henry mini bolts in stock if interested in seeing in person. Was there a few weeks ago picking up a 10/22 for the girlfriend.

There is probably not an "ideal" first rifle, but there are some good choices.

Caliber: 22lr. Easy and cheap to shoot, won't scare someone new.

Action: single shot or bolt action (magazine). No semi's (too easy to try to pop off a bunch of quick rounds). Teach them the discipline of slow, accurate shots first.

Sights: Start with traditional iron sights. Teach the basics first.

Beyond these basics it should be a wide market.

As a reference, I started out my kid shooting a .22 at 4 or 5 years old. At 11 he shot his first deer with a .243 at 200 yards. So at 13, the kid and definately use a .243. But i still suggest a .22 to start and get the basics on and then bring him up in caliber. But honestly shooting large calibers is overrated. No one ends up using those guns alot because its expensive and recoil sucks.

Suggest you spend some money and buy a decent high quality .22 at 13 years old. Something non "youth" that will carry him thru his life and he can keep. A .22 is still one of my most used guns because the ammo is cheap and its fun to shoot. I like adult sized guns that actually feel like a regular bolt action or lever action rifle, as its easy to transition for deer hunting practice.

My kid will have several nice brownings and rugers to choose from that got handed down from my father, that I used. I also just added a nice walnut stocked, stainless ruger .22 american bolt to the collection as well that will get handed down as the perfect squirrel rifle.

Last edited:
CZ 452, 455 or 457. With regular iron sights. Great learning rifles and very accurate for the money.
These are nice guns. If I didn't see the Ruger stainess Talo, I would have bought a 457.

They make a 457 .22 package that also easily converts to a .17 with both barrels included for a decent price.

These are nice guns. If I didn't see the Ruger stainess Talo, I would have bought a 457.

They make a 457 .22 package that also easily converts to a .17 with both barrels included for a decent price.

I have the .457 precision varmint in .22. It's a beast. Amazing, accurate rifle. But for a new shooter I'd go with a regular old sporting rifle with iron sights.

There's many good choices today.

I will break with the group here. My son started shooting with a single shot, break barrel pellet gun. When it was time for his first rifle, I wanted it to be something that he loved to shoot, was tons of fun, could shoot ANY ammo, and would be something he cherished his whole life.
As an added bonus, EVERYONE loves shooting this rifle. My wife loves shooting this thing.
Great magazine capacity and you can run 22 shorts for subsonic, no ear protection, plinking just about anywhere. Another bonus is the rifle is beautiful and high quality.

1628343301908.png

I used to hate everything about the mere idea of a grownass man shooting .22LR. But after some reflection (and being all out of 6.5 Creed and .223 FGMM) I can see where that caliber is useful for practicing fundamentals. I am looking at something I can get a chassis for. I don’t have Vudoo money, so I’m looking at CZ and Christensen right now, as well as the Tikka TS1X (Front runner right now).

Is there an -ideal- training rifle; BB/Pellet or .22, what action/stocks/sights-scope, tripod, bench rest- sled-to sling or not to sling ? ; budget unlimited.
How about the best family club in the Lakes Region NH ??
in a same situation i got the 20" cz 457 varmint mtr - whole family can shoot it and it is a great precise rifle, a lot of fun.
the stock is ok for 11yr old (she is tall) as well as for me and my son. cheap inaccurate .22lr boomsticks are getting frustrating fast. varmint is capable of hitting same hole in the target at 100yds if handled well - a very good rifle.
trainer barrel is shorter and less heavy and less accurate - i like what i got the mtr, but, there are options, of course, from $500 to $1100 on that platform.

Those are great for young kids, but may be a bit small for 13.

Personally, I would go one of two directions:
1. CZ 457 Scout if you want bolt action

2. 22lr AR, either an M&P 15-22 or a build with a dedicated CMMG 22lr upper. The KP-15 actually works as a great option for a 22lr trainer lower. And Echo-93 offers versions that are cut down for shorter lengths of pull. It helps with both squared off shooting, and those with shorter arms. I believe the default is 11 3/4” LOP, but they can do anywhere between 11 3/4” and A1 length if you want.

The bonus of an actual AR lower with a dedicated 22lr upper is he can upgrade to a legitimate upper when he gets older.

Accessories: Go with iron sights to start, and once he’s comfortable with that and can maintain consistent sight picture, move to optics.
Yes, go with a sling. Just a simple two point. An Edgar Sherman Design would work: Edgar Sherman Sling | Edgar Sherman Design: Military Equipment
i looked at scout, but, it has 12" LOP. it will be ok for a pre-teen and may be up to 14 yr old - but my 15 yr old is already higher than me hitting 6". kids grow fast now.
what is the point with a 12" LOP? MTR has 13.75" LOP and is good for everybody, and weight is 7.5# - not too much above the scout. i paired it with 4-12x vortex diamondback that is only 14oz and it lets rifle to remain light enough for kids to be able to shoot it standing up.

i looked at scout, but, it has 12" LOP. it will be ok for a pre-teen and may be up to 14 yr old - but my 15 yr old is already higher than me hitting 6". kids grow fast now.
what is the point with a 12" LOP? MTR has 13.75" LOP and is good for everybody, and weight is 7.5# - not too much above the scout. i paired it with 4-12x vortex diamondback that is only 14oz and it lets rifle to remain light enough for kids to be able to shoot it standing up.

Kids should be learning to fire from the prone position.......that is the skill they will need in the future.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND A LITTLE FURTHER INTO THE FUTURE.......YOUR ENEMIES HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR DECADES.

I think any "youth sized" rifle will be too small. My 11 yr old can use his marlin youth but it's small. I think a 13 year old would love a 22lr ar.

I think any "youth sized" rifle will be too small. My 11 yr old can use his marlin youth but it's small. I think a 13 year old would love a 22lr ar.
i can tell from my kids sample - both love shooting pistols the best, girl shoots .22lr AA kit in glock - it weights next to nothing, son shoots g34 with leupold dpp. CZ shadow is too heavy for him.
as of rifles - both tried ARs and bergara 6.5cm and definitely both like the CZ the best. they like the wooden stock, feel and less weight. i gave them to try both .223 and .22lr with cmmg insert in ARs - still the preference is to shoot CZ. and i see nothing wrong with that.

a tavor x95 was also rejected, btw. :)

12” length of pull may not work for a bladed standing position, but 11 3/4”-12” works for prone just fine, and is great for squared off shooting, whether it be standing unsupported, standing supported or kneeling supported.

But I could see a 12” LOP bolt action not being ideal for some. Definitely worth trying any out in person first.

CZ 457

If the LOP is too long for them, then drop it in a precision chassis and they can keep shooting that same exact rifle for ever and get involved with NRL22 with it.

Get him a 32-gun storage locker ;)
A 13yo needs a grown-up sized rifle - the Henry Mini-Bolt is awesome for little kids Mini Bolt Youth | Henry Repeating Arms

The Savage Mk ii's are quite awesome - they had the ones with peep sights at scout camp Rimfire
the 10-22 is popular at appleseeds & you can get a bus-load of accoutrements for it Ruger® 10/22® Carbine Autoloading Rifle Models
CZ's have legendary accuracy StackPath

The Henry Lever action is the most fun though!
More of a total sensory experience than an autoloader, plus you feel like John Wayne.
If you get the octagon-barrelled one, it's very accurate & you can put a peep sight or scope on the dovetail.
plus they don't burn through your ammo like an autoloader Lever Action Octagon Frontier | Henry Repeating Arms

.22 lr in single shot Crackshot, my son got one at 10 and still shoots it at 45 years old. Slow and safe !

Back
Top Bottom