first time carrying revolvers

So for a while now I've had a 686 smith with a 4" barrel, and im looking to carry it! Im looking for a good shoulder holster and possibly one that has a spot to hold speed loaders.

Aside from that I would like to know how to carry it correctly. The newer guns have transfer bar safety's, is it copacetic for me to have the hammer down on a round if im carrying it? or should i leave the hammer down on an empty chamber? it is a 686 plus.

any thoughts or ideas would be wonderful, its my first revolver and i refuse to carry a gun until im proficient at using it in general and i am at that point.

Dom

most if not all modern revolvers are safe to carry with all 5/6 chambers loaded, at least thats what i was always told by people with more knowledge than me.

bob

Yeah it is safe to carry it.

Only the old SSA weren't safe to carry all chambers loaded.

- - - Updated - - -

At least I think that info is correct. [laugh]

Most revolvers now a days have the transfer bar safety.

This might work for you:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/desantis-ambidextrous-black-bodyguard-vest-rig-n90bjlaz0.html

OR

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2928&GunID=92

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of revolver CCW! I've been daily carrying my ruger sp101 and it is a great carry gun for me. That 686 is bit bigger than mine so good call on the shoulder holster! I carry all cylinders full......that 686 probably has a pretty stiff action to the hammer so even if it did not have a transfer bar I can't see the hammer coming back and letting go on ya. I have carried a 1911 before and I actually feel like my revolver is more piece of mind on the safety aspect......always found myself checking the safety on teh 1911......with the revolver know I have the hard trigger pull as my safety and don't worry about it at all while it is in teh holster.

I carry a 686 plus 3" in a Lobo Leather enhanced pancake holster with a thumb break and a separate speed loader pouch that works great.
I've also been looking at a shoulder rig and am pretty convinced that there's no better than a Mitch Rosen but pretty expensive and will have to wait a while.

Have ALL chambers loaded.

Find a shoulder holster that adjusts to your body shape... There are many types (depending on your build)

Holsters and shoulder holsters are like clothes and shoes. You really need to try as many as possible to see what fits you best. I think galco is really worth taking a look at. Or if you can swing it, take a trip up to Mitch Rosen up in nh for a personal fitting and perfect fit.

Have ALL chambers loaded.

Find a shoulder holster that adjusts to your body shape... There are many types (depending on your build)

This. I carry my GP100 IWB in a Blackhawk holster, and yes, it's a little big, but with an un-tucked flannel or oversize sweater (This time of year) or an Hawaiian shirt (Summer-time) it really works well. I've never used a shoulder holster -- let me know how it works if that is the route you'll be taking.

I would imagine you'd need to keep some sort of jacket on at all times if using the shoulder rig ?

This. I carry my GP100 IWB in a Blackhawk holster, and yes, it's a little big, but with an un-tucked flannel or oversize sweater (This time of year) or an Hawaiian shirt (Summer-time) it really works well. I've never used a shoulder holster -- let me know how it works if that is the route you'll be taking.

I would imagine you'd need to keep some sort of jacket on at all times if using the shoulder rig ?

You carry a GP100 foe EDC?!?!? Hats off to you......that's awesome!

Im eyeing a Galco Miami Classic for my 4506 - a friend of mine carries his in that rig and swaps the holster out for other weapons, such as a 1911 and a Glock. He said the trick to concealing with a shoulder holster is to not buy nylon and to tighten it so the rig sits directly under the armpits.

I'll carry my 586 4" in a desantis holster (forget which one, I'll check when I get home if interested), way more comfortable than my 1911 IWB (Crossbreed)or OWB (Raven) and it disappears better. FWIW, I'm a pretty big guy myself.

Dude, im already rockin a bitchin beard [laugh]

Im going to try out a couple iwb holsters for it but am really leaning towards the galco shoulder. The revolver carry is definitly for cold weather carry, im usually wearing a loose untucked flannel over a tucked shirt or a loose hooded sweatshirt zip up.

Dom

Dude, im already rockin a bitchin beard [laugh] The revolver carry is definitly for cold weather carry,....

Dom

Bull shit! I have successfully concealed my model 64 in the waist band of my surf trunks with a T-shirt and flip-flops.[wink]
I'm still working on the facial hair, but every time I try to grow a 'stache, my wife throws me this look like I'll never see her naked again.

I carry my governor will all the tubes loaded OWB with a desantis scabbard, but with the barrel length i would go with the shoulder holster for sure, and Ive always had good luck with galco

Bull shit! I have successfully concealed my model 64 in the waist band of my surf trunks with a T-shirt and flip-flops.[wink]
I'm still working on the facial hair, but every time I try to grow a 'stache, my wife throws me this look like I'll never see her naked again.

GROW A FULL BEARD!

I'll try it and let you know how that works out. You've got an empty couch, right?

I have a full beard and my wife loves it. once it starts coming in just tickle her neck with it. turns my wife into
Butter-calories.jpg

Back
Top Bottom