First trip to a gunsmith for a re assembly..... update......i had to fix it myself.

I have a 4 didjit serial number and have been delicate with it since Ruger doesn't have the parts.

@whacko whether you get it back together or bring it to your LGS best of luck to you. Nice carbine. [cheers]
Knowing that parts are not available has played a pivotal role in my decision to stop....and take it to a Smith.

Congratulations on finding a Ruger 44 magnum carbine. It took me years to find one of each version offered and yes they are are a pain in the butt, but they do bring home deer nicely. Got my last Maine deer with the manlicher stocked version. I also have a parts rifle for occasions similar to yours, becuse as you said, you can't find many of the 44 carbine parts any longer.
It's hopefully going to be a nh deer hunting gun for sure. But.....its actually a fun rifle to shoot. A Little powerhouse. Put about 50 rounds through it so far and it cycles perfectly.....all touching rounds at 50 yards. That's with my reloads too.

It's hopefully going to be a nh deer hunting gun for sure. But.....its actually a fun rifle to shoot. A Little powerhouse. Put about 50 rounds through it so far and it cycles perfectly.....all touching rounds at 50 yards. That's with my reloads too.
On my last hunt to Maine , I reloaded the Horady 240 gr, xtp, backed up by 22 grains of H110. At a measured 75 yards, that Ruger got a nice buck, on the run, in thick brush, with two heart shots, one inch apart. It's a pretty good shooter for sure. In the name of full disclosure, I did upgrade to fiber optic sights on that Ruger 44. They seemed like flashlights, compared to factory sights.

Last edited:
Google was no help at all, back when many of us were learning the Ruger 44 magnum rifle the hard way. We had diagrams though.
I am not sure what you are trying to argue.

I said nothing about pre-Google / Youtube.

On my last hunt to Maine , I reloaded the Horady 240 gr, xtp, backed up by 22 grains of H110. At a measured 75 yards, that Ruger got a nice buck, on the run, in thick brush, with two heart shots, one inch apart. It's a pretty good shooter for sure. In the name of full disclosure, I did upgrade to fiber sights on that Ruger 44. They seemed like flashlights, compared to factory sights.
I'm loading Hornady interlock 265 grain projos with 20.5 grains imr4227. That projo is designed for 444 marlin velocity and won't likely expand well for hunting at 44 mag velocity. But....with ammo and components the way they are now I came up with what I could to make ammo and test the rifle. Eventually if we hunt with it I'll work up a more suitable load.....or buy factory ammo if available.

Lol. I'm not trying to argue anything. Just pointing out that google was not available when most Ruger 44 magnum rifle owners needed it.You know, the olden days.
Got it. Those days must have s*cked, but at the same time you probably learned a lot more because you had to read rather than someone telling you what to do.

Also guns were simpler, there aren't a lot of parts on a Flintlock. [smile]

I'm loading Hornady interlock 265 grain projos with 20.5 grains imr4227. That projo is designed for 444 marlin velocity and won't likely expand well for hunting at 44 mag velocity. But....with ammo and components the way they are now I came up with what I could to make ammo and test the rifle. Eventually if we hunt with it I'll work up a more suitable load.....or buy factory ammo if available.
If you'd like some 240 grain Hornady XTP's give me a hollar. Glad to help.

Got it. Those days must have s*cked, but at the same time you probably learned a lot more because you had to read rather than someone telling you what to do.

Also guns were simpler, there aren't a lot of parts on a Flintlock. [smile]
Yes and those smooth bores weren't so accurate either. Had to sneek up real close to those damned red coats.

I’d have no problem bringing anything to somebody more qualified than me if I was stuck, more so if it’s my own sons and it needs to go bang every time.

Given the chance I’d like to watch and learn if they had time for me, but my sanity is more important to me than any pride or ego, which have both long since left me.

Damn whacko. That's good shootin! On second thought, with your rounds all touching at 50 yards, you don't need any xtp's from me. What your doing ain't broke and you sure don't need to fix it.

Last edited:
Damn whacko. That's good shootin! On second thought, with your rounds all touching at 50 yards, you don't need any xtp's from me. What your doing ain't broke and you sure don't need to fix it.
That was from a bench rest using an bullseye that was orange on black. Can't say I could do that offhand at a deer lol

That was from a bench rest using an bullseye that was orange on black. Can't say I could do that offhand at a deer lol
You're being modest. I don't know anyone else, that can say that all of their rounds, touch each other, at 50 yards, using a Ruger, 44 magnum carbine. It's not exactly known, for that level of tack driving, but yours is.

You're being modest. I don't know anyone else, that can say that all of their rounds, touch each other, at 50 yards, using a Ruger, 44 magnum carbine. It's not exactly known, for that level of tack driving, but yours is.
I worked that load up from 18.5 grains .5 at a time and stopped at 20.5 when I was getting that grouping. It seems to like it. Brand new starline brass. Individually weighed charges and a good crimp with good bullets will do it. Especially from a good bench rest.

I worked that load up from 18.5 grains and stopped at 20.5 when I was getting that grouping. It seems to like it.
LOL. No doubt about that. Everyone with a Ruger, 44 carbine would like it too. What's the vecocity of those tack drivers? The reason I like the 240 gr. XTP with 21 gr. of
H110, is that with the two heart shots on that running buck, both XTP'S, came to rest just under the hide on the opposite side of the entrance wound, without exiting, so all of the enrgy stayed idside.

The “firt” thing to remember In reassembly is to use all the parts!🤣
Wish I could link to my anecdote about my club's cleaning session
where someone "reassembled" their SIG pistol and didn't think it felt right.
I try working the decocker/safety (
Decocker-on-Sig-220-COPY.jpg
),
and it's utterly frictionless. I'm all like,
"I've never held one of these in my hand before,
but shouldn't this make some crunchy noise and decock the hammer?".
Then she sez, "and I couldn't find where to put this back",
and shows me a boomerang-shaped wire spring
that she left out of the "fully assembled" pistol
because she didn't know where to stick it!
It didn't necessarily go here, but it's the same shape I remember:

IMG_6393.jpg

[shocked]

Figure it out yourself, much more gratification and you will learn.

I do the same thing when working on motorcycles, get frustrated take a break. I have sat on problems for a week trying to figure things out. The key is to take a break when you get frustrated.
Except when the problem is that you can't find the key...
...then you're all...
56bi6s.jpg

[rofl]

Last edited:
Gonna out myself... Had a Marlin 60 about 10 years ago, plastic buffer on the "action assembly" broke into pieces. Taking it apart I took the circlips off one side, figured the side plate would just come off. It didn't, until after about 4 progressively stronger "taps" with a hammer when the entire thing spontaneously disassembled itself. All over the bench and my garage.

Couldn't find all the parts. Looked on line for weeks, couldn't find the parts I needed separately or an entire assembly for anything under like $100. I actually karma'd the rifle off here, @C-pher won it.

I have four softcover books put out by the NRA on firearms assembly back in the 1970s. The section on the Ruger .44 Magnum says "Disassembly of trigger mechanism parts from housing (73) is not recomended and should only be undertaken at factory or by a qualified gunsmith when repair or replacement parts is needed."
Oh, well.

I have four softcover books put out by the NRA on firearms assembly back in the 1970s. The section on the Ruger .44 Magnum says "Disassembly of trigger mechanism parts from housing (73) is not recomended and should only be undertaken at factory or by a qualified gunsmith when repair or replacement parts is needed."
Oh, well.
My intention was not to disassemble the the trigger mechanism. It was to drop the entire trigger group from the receiver.....which is part of the field stripping process. There are at least 4 pins on that trigger group.....one takes the whole group to drop free.....like an m1 trigger group or a mossberg 500 shotgun. The others all hold little pieces on place inside the mechanism. I chose wrong.

But yes I've also read that it should be left to a gun smith to disassemble the mechanism.....which is why I just dropped the thing off to a gun Smith.

Don't feel bad , you sure as hell wouldn't be the first guy to do the cardboard box walk of shame or the last.
When Dad and I had the shop we had more than a few come in, and now and then some of those kicked our asses for a few days .
Way pre youtube.
Mom would come to the top of the stairs and shut the door to drown out the cussing.

Took my sons ruger 44 carbine down for full cleaning last night. That's not a user-friendly rifle to disassemble to get to the gas tube and bolt assembly. You tube is asweome.....unless of course you remove the wrong pin. 😂 I popped out the pin that the trigger pivots on instead of the pin that holds the trigger group in. The second that pin came put I knew it was the wrong one because the trigger dropped free and I heard a pop. Shit. Spent half hour looking at a schematic I downloaded and couldn't figure it out. Oh well. Rifles perfectly clean but ill be taking a drive with the trigger assembly in a box to the local shop today to pay a Smith to put it back together.
[rofl] [rofl]Laughing with you, not at you. Did this with a Ruger 10/22. One wrong pin....Fortunately, my brother had one and I was able to dis-assemble his down to the point right before I knew it would "pop". I couldn't figure out with way to put the sear back in, until I looked at his. To this day, I refer to this as "The Ruger Solution". They sure don't make anything easy to disassemble/reassemble (except an LCP). One of the biggest reasons I keep going back to Glocks.

Yeah that's usually my routine. This one was different. Was expecting the whole assembly to drop out....pulled the wrong pin.

In the directions/ manual for one of my belt fed when you remove the OProd/spring. It specifically says it “dont look at it”

Things like that you got to be careful with..It refuses to come out and then you look at it it’ll stab your eye out like a daisy Ryder BB gun. You don’t need a trash bag for that it’ll be in your eye

Back
Top Bottom