• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fish pics

Funny enough the first first hit was on powerbait as soon as it hit the water. After that nothing on powerbait, but they did hit worms.
I can't find any treble hooks anywhere. I've got a bunch of #8 & #10 snell hooks. Were you using live worms? Hook type? Depth? I need all the help I can get. Lol

I can't find any treble hooks anywhere. I've got a bunch of #8 & #10 snell hooks. Were you using live worms? Hook type? Depth? I need all the help I can get. Lol

I just use snell hooks, size 12 or smaller but I can never seem to find the smaller ones so I settle for 12s. The spot we were fishing is a kids trout pond and was recently stocked (but mostly fished out already I think) and the water was shallow so I used a bobber, some lead (well tugsten actually) weights and about 24" from bobber to weights then 12" from weights to worm.

In deeper water I use a heavier weight and send it to the bottom. Powerbait is good here as it will float up just off the bottom. I rig it so that when the fish grabs there is not much resistance so they won't spit it out. I have a small stop weight fixed about 12-16" from the bait and then another heavier weight on the reel side of the fixed weight with the line through an eye loop so the line will run through it. Not sure if that makes sense. The fish can grab the bait and run off a ways without much tension so they are less likely to spit it. At least that is how I learned it from a seasoned crusty ole fisherman I knew back in the day.

I just use snell hooks, size 12 or smaller but I can never seem to find the smaller ones so I settle for 12s. The spot we were fishing is a kids trout pond and was recently stocked (but mostly fished out already I think) and the water was shallow so I used a bobber, some lead (well tugsten actually) weights and about 24" from bobber to weights then 12" from weights to worm.

In deeper water I use a heavier weight and send it to the bottom. Powerbait is good here as it will float up just off the bottom. I rig it so that when the fish grabs there is not much resistance so they won't spit it out. I have a small stop weight fixed about 12-16" from the bait and then another heavier weight on the reel side of the fixed weight with the line through an eye loop so the line will run through it. Not sure if that makes sense. The fish can grab the bait and run off a ways without much tension so they are less likely to spit it. At least that is how I learned it from a seasoned crusty ole fisherman I knew back in the day.
Thanks for the tips. I've never really gone after trout specifically. I was gonna rig the Powerbait on a snell or treble on a 9" leader attached to a barrel swivel. Above that, on the main line, I'm gonna thread an egg weight, loose. The bait will sit 9" above bottom. This way, like you said, the fish can run without resistance. It won't drag the weight on the bottom. The line will run through the egg weight for a bit. This is my theory anyways.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I've never really gone after trout specifically. I was gonna rig the Powerbait on a snell or treble on a 9" leader attached to a barrel swivel. Above that, on the main line, I'm gonna thread an egg weight, loose. The bait will sit 9" above bottom. This way, like you said, the fish can run without resistance. It won't drag the weight on the bottom. The line will run through the egg weight for a bit. This is my theory anyways.

Thats the way you should do it. Thats the way i do it anyway. sometimes ill put powerbait and a worm on it. Before I cast, I dip the hook, powerbait, and worm part of the rig in the water to make sure I used enough powerbait to float it. However, I haven't caught a thing yet, only one little bite actually. Then again I have the worst luck imaginable.

Strange thing is, you catch more of them in the spring. Here's the first Quabbin smallie of the year, 3-12. q 5-14 001.jpg

Last edited:
8y8e4yra.jpg

First decent bass of the year.

one of my first fish of 2014. hoping to get into some bass this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom