• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fisher cat problem

Thanks so much guys, that's excellent advice. I'm in Hopkinton, MA, we do have an animal control officer, I'll contact him and get advice.

On a totally different note.... unrelated..... how loud is a 22 quiet round???

-Steve
The striker is louder than the report in my Savage (22" barrel)

Meh, predator doing its thing. I'd say 1st step is to 'harden' the coop. If that doesn't do it, take out the fisher. If the coop is not properly protected, eventually other predators will be a problem too.
Exactly! Have a fenced in pen, using chicken wire, with a net covering. That keeps out ground predators and birds of prey. The Coop needs to be tight enough to keep out weasels.

Man up and put the thing down. Relocation is cruel to the animal and I live right next to what some people call "a forest somewhere". I don't want your pest dropped off near my house.
This is why relocation is illegal. Your just giving your problems to someone else.

For woodchuck problems in my yard I trap them in the cage.....then I take them on a little trip to the closest wma property and walk the trap into the woods.....put a 22 between the headlights from my revolver and dump it. Safe.....easy....legal. I do it this way because my town has a no discharge of fire arms order and I'm way to close to my neighbors anyway to be legal or safe in firing a pistol.

But I digress......woodchuck is not a protected species. I Believe fishers are so......call the epo is my advice.

Man up and put the thing down. Relocation is cruel to the animal and I live right next to what some people call "a forest somewhere". I don't want your pest dropped off near my house.
This 100% plus more.

My property is surrounded by state forest. People randomly dumping animals in the "woods" is just a headache for me and the neighbors. Think I want someone dumping a fisher near my property? No. Why? Because we have animals including chickens. Take care of your own problem. Hire an animal control person, or just shoot the damn thing. Stop worrying about shooting a 22 in your yard. Christ, no one will even notice one shot from a 22.

Christ, no one will even notice one shot from a 22.
This is NES. Ever been to a car shoot? A fisher in a trap at point blank range will require at least two full mag dumps.
And then dropping in a lake as the coup-de-grace. Because even .22 is expensive now

How do you feel about jellyfish?

Ha, ha...to recall the old SNL skit...

"the jellyfish...it is neither jelly, nor a fish, discuss..."

[cheers]

I actually don't have a problem with the word "jellyfish" because they are called "jellyfish", while there is no such thing as a "fisher cat"...it's a made up word...

Burns me almost as much as people that say "heigth"...

[banghead]

This is NES. Ever been to a car shoot? A fisher in a trap at point blank range will require at least two full mag dumps.
And then dropping in a lake as the coup-de-grace. Because even .22 is expensive now
You confused Fisher with porcupines. Those little bastards are tough.

Ha, ha...to recall the old SNL skit...

"the jellyfish...it is neither jelly, nor a fish, discuss..."

[cheers]

I actually don't have a problem with the word "jellyfish" because they are called "jellyfish", while there is no such thing as a "fisher cat"...it's a made up word...

Burns me almost as much as people that say "heigth"...

[banghead]
Yeah!
And what’s up with “I could care less”?

What about pole cats?
Since you asked, All of these animals are Mustelids They are a family of carnivorous mammals, including weasels, badgers, otters, ferrets, fisher, pine martens, minks and wolverines, and skunks. Which what I believe you were asking about?

Found last Spring behind my shed. Wish I knew a taxidermy guy back then. Even just for teh pelt.

He was still warm. No idea how he died. Not sarcasm. We just found him laying there. I had been out behind the shed maybe an hour or two before. Saw him in the neighborhood a few times in the week leading up to this.

Look at those F'ing claws!!!!!!!

tempImageN2WCmf.png

Found last Spring behind my shed. Wish I knew a taxidermy guy back then. Even just for teh pelt.

He was still warm. No idea how he died. Not sarcasm. We just found him laying there. I had been out behind the shed maybe an hour or two before. Saw him in the neighborhood a few times in the week leading up to this.

Look at those F'ing claws!!!!!!!

View attachment 546923
Very interesting. UNH Durham has done some necropsisies on fisher and have found that some had high levels of Rodenticide (Rat poison) in them. So if someone was using decon or other like substance in the area and the Fisher ate those rodents. Then the Fisher would also be affected.

[crying]

Kill-um-freeze-um and feed them into the chipper for mulch around shrubs that get eaten by deer [thumbsup]

Fisher Trapping season here in NH starts on Dec 1st. Only allowed 2 and must turn in the lower jaw when having the pelt tagged.

Very interesting. UNH Durham has done some necropsisies on fisher and have found that some had high levels of Rodenticide (Rat poison) in them. So if someone was using decon or other like substance in the area and the Fisher ate those rodents. Then the Fisher would also be affected.

One of the reasons I refuse to use poison for outside rodent issues. Even some of the supposedly "safe" poisons.

I like my cuddly woodland critters and try to only kill my targeted species.

One of the reasons I refuse to use poison for outside rodent issues. Even some of the supposedly "safe" poisons.

I like my cuddly woodland critters and try to only kill my targeted species.
That is as it should be, But the thing to think about is even if the rat poison is used indoors the rats and mice go outside and still be food for the predators.

Back
Top Bottom