Fisher cat problem

Stevireno

NES Member
Hi All,

We raise chickens and we've lost a few batches to a fisher cat in the area. Just spotted her this morning. I'm thinking of trapping her and relocating, but wanted to run that idea past you guys... I believe they are protected, but I'm not looking to trap them and sell the pelts or hunt them, I'm just trying to stop my livestock from getting eaten.

Anyone know the legalities? I have a small animal trap (racoon), I was going to bait it and see what happens..

Thanks

-Steve

here in CT they are regulated and illegal to hunt. however, should you be a trapper and take one, that's fine, hypocritical, but fine.
so I suggest you look up your MA trapping regulations to see what the state has to say when a trap takes a fisher. likely they have it defined.

your best bet is the good 'ole "shoot - shovel - shutup" method.

By Law, You can not relocate wildlife, plus That animal will find its way or another will take its place. If free range your birds this is what happens. Our birds are in a pen with a net covering over the top. That keeps all the predators from getting the birds and they go into the coop at night and the doors shut.

Laws vary greatly by state. If your town has an animal control officer, call them. If not, call the state Fish and Game department and ask before setting a trap yourself.

While fishers are protected in some western states, AFAIK they are not a protected species here in New England. That's the good news. The bad news is that they typically range over a very large area, so if you've suffered multiple fisher attacks it may well be the result of having more than 1 fisher nearby.

I do believe Hopkinton has a law stating a resident has a right to protect his livestock, even if it is from another domesticated animal...

-Steve

Thanks so much guys, that's excellent advice. I'm in Hopkinton, MA, we do have an animal control officer, I'll contact him and get advice.

On a totally different note.... unrelated..... how loud is a 22 quiet round???

-Steve
I wouldn't even call them. I guarantee no good will come of it.

22 quiets are my go to for pests. The longer the barrel, the quieter. If you need some, let me know.

There is a season for trapping Fisher, But I believe that season is over in Ma. for this year. You may have to contact an Animal Damage Control Trapper to take care of the problem. If you have an ADC problem, you most likely be told to pen your birds and coop them at night.

Box trap...swimming lessons. Shhhhhh!
They like venison scraps I hear, and have no problem going in a box trap.

Ive had several groundhog problems that the wife and kids wouldnt let me solve with the 10-22. I have no idea what the laws are on wildlife relocation and frankly don't care. I pay enough in property taxes. Captured three in live traps over the last 2 years and released them on my Mother's property across town (she doesn't have a garden and didn't mind).

Was tempted to release them at a nearby farm that plasters its property with moonbat candidates every election but decided against it. I could see myself getting caught and being called the groundhog avenger or some shit in the local news.

Okay, Fisher will come to a box trap. Use a trap big enough to catch a raccoon. tie a wing feather in the bait end of the trap so that it is hanging and moving with any breeze, place about a tablespoon of canned cat food in the bait end. Fisher usually have about a one week route of travel.

Drowning an animal in that shit hole state is now a seven year felony. So beware of where you do it, and who you talk to about. That is if you decide to violate the law.

Okay, Fisher will come to a box trap. Use a trap big enough to catch a raccoon. tie a wing feather in the bait end of the trap so that it is hanging and moving with any breeze, place about a tablespoon of canned cat food in the bait end. Fisher usually have about a one week route of travel.

Drowning an animal in that shit hole state is now a seven year felony. So beware of where you do it, and who you talk to about. That is if you decide to violate the law.
Good point, I didn’t real th op was in mass. Would never consider doing that here, would only do in a state where legal.
i think injecting them using a big needle full of acetone is still a legal method iirc from trapping class. although it was a long time ago.

Thanks so much guys, that's excellent advice. I'm in Hopkinton, MA, we do have an animal control officer, I'll contact him and get advice.

In Mass, chances are they are going to refer you to a Problem Animal Control Agent.

A .22 quiet will only be cheaper if your neighbors don't drop a dime on you. I like eggs and chicken soup as much as the next person, but neither is worth risking your LTC over.

I caught what I assume is the same fisher two nights in a row in my Have-a-heart trap. Both times I used raisens for bait. A couple of nights prior I had dumped out a stale box of Raisen Bran and I happened to see a fisher sitting there eating the raisens out of the pile so I baited the trap with some and it worked like a champ.
The first time I put the trap in my truck and drove about 1.5 miles away and released it. When I caught it again the next night I brought it about 5 miles away. Haven't seen it since.
PS. He wasn't happy.

"Fishers make wonderful mounts. I love doing them! I would love to do yours!"

Looks like everything is lining up

Back
Top Bottom