• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

fisher cat road kill

Some of the fisher cats I have seen would kick a Japanese cars ass. Must have been hit by an American made truck. I saw one running through my yard and my first thought was if Arnold Schwarzenegger was to own a cat that would be it.

Just an FYI, they are NOT a member of the cat family. They are closely related to weasels. Does that make them a rodent?

it was dead! head squished right up. Co worker told me some one pulled up and scooped into a back of a truck. The pelt seem to be in good shape. I was going to go grab the tail. Thats when I noticed it was gone.

it was dead! head squished right up. Co worker told me some one pulled up and scooped into a back of a truck. The pelt seem to be in good shape. I was going to go grab the tail. Thats when I noticed it was gone.

Watch out for Environmental Police....It's illegal to pick up any road-killed fur bearer without a valid trapper's license.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/trapping_regs.pdf

edit: or a valid hunting license during the open season.

Last edited:
rick, good to know !!!! Today on the way to the dump 10;00am there where 2 dead in kingston near 3A and 80 right by the river...

Fishercat-56389.jpg

I had no idea what a fisher cat was until I googled it and saw one..

I have heard about them when i started hunting,
not until I heard them screaming a few years ago in wooded area behind my house, then spotted one crossing the road a few years later. I did not think they where around....nice fur on them

Just an FYI, they are NOT a member of the cat family. They are closely related to weasels. Does that make them a rodent?

Actually, they are a member of the weasel (Mustelidae) family. Since they're part of the suborder Caniformia, they're more closely related to dogs than cats. I believe, actually, that humans are more closely related to rodents than fisher cats are. (Someone who knows better feel free to correct me, though...)

I have a fisher behind my house. I've only seen it once.

On a side note I have seen 8 dead beavers on the road in the last 3 weeks and I haven't even counted the turkeys, but maybe a dozen of them.

I have also seen 2 dead hawks. I wanted to pick one up, but I know they are protected and didn't know who to call for permission to take it and have it mounted.

While turkey hunting in Georgetown/rowley forest I observed one from about 25 feet for a few minutes before he scurried away. I didn't know if I could hunt it so I let it stroll away...

Back
Top Bottom