Fishing in Boston?

We used to kill the flounder in Quincy Bay when I was a kid. Tons of them where the raw sewerage pipe spilled out in the harbor. That was in the late 70's before Deer Island. My dad called the raw sewerage RubberFish and TamponFish. Everything was floating by. But the flounder were biting.. I'm not kidding...
I didn't eat fish for decades after that.
Old co-worker called it Flounder Junction. As a teenager, he would go boating/ waterskiing near there, and take the newby skiers through the sewage and chop the throttle. He was a fun guy.

There are largemouth up the Charles River toward Watertown & Waltham.

Stripers in the hahbah. Just not sure where you'd cast from shore. Maybe one of the beaches down in Dorchester?

a quick duckduckgo search found a couple potentially helpful sites.

Catfish, sunfish, carp, snappers, and eel are in the Charles. As a kid, I would sell the carp to the local Chinese food restaurant. I'd catch tires, milk crates, shopping carts, etc., too!

HELL NO! That river has been polluted going back to the 60's. Before that, you could swim in it and not worry about a thing.

The Charles was polluted long before the 1960s.

The Charles was polluted long before the 1960s.
I recall friends putting in behind (or near) Sammy White's Brighton Bowl back maybe 1981 ish and going out through the locks to watch the planes fly over us. Not sure you can do that anymore.
The color of the Charles was what I would call "muted anti-freeze".

Screw fresh water. Drive out of the city and go coastal, there's good spots say from Weymouth and beyond, the further, the better on the bay side. Personally, I'm a sea worm man though many will argue the virtues of the clam, don't be fooled by such nonsense. When you enter the worm mongers, ask for the proprietor and say 2 dozen of your finest specimens please. You may want to keep an eye on him though as some are mischievous and may try and slip you a few anemic, less desirable examples.

Ooh, and he would go flounder fishing where the gas tank is now. He barely caught any. Then one day he caught about a billion. Never caught more than 1 or 2 ever again. He ate them. He's 82 now. That was 1961-ish? It wasn't TOO toxic, I guess.

That'd be a scallop... ;)

How would you know. That scarf or whatever is covering her clam. . . or scallop. . . . or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom