• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fishing season is coming.....

....who's getting ready? Anything new for this year? This year is tuna, tuna, and more tuna. I'm tempted to give up on groundfish all together when the tuna come.

I've never seen an umbrella rig for freshwater. Have any pics? I've got piles of saltwater ones, but no freshwater.

I'm getting the itch like crazy. Less than a month till cod open, haddock are already here, herring are here, mackerel are starting to show up(so I hear). Everything is coming way early.

Today I put together some daisy chains and 2 darts for my harpoon.

I've been building more lobster traps, reorganizing my lures and debating when to cut the shrinkwrap off the boat. If the weather stays like today that's going to be sooner rather than later.

I've been building more lobster traps, reorganizing my lures and debating when to cut the shrinkwrap off the boat. If the weather stays like today that's going to be sooner rather than later.

That's what I need for next year....a boat to cut the shrink wrap off of. [smile]

how do you make a lobster trap?

I picked up a new fly rod and reel yesterday. Dedicated to learning to fly fish this year. For the last few years I've tried to get some guys together for a tuna charter, and people just wouldn't commit, so I've given up on it. Envy to you tuna guys. :)

Freshwater guy here, the ponds are warming up fast. Bought one of those new umbrella jigs for trolling for bass in fresh
Please be aware that the "Alabama rig" is illegal in MA in freshwater if you have more than two baits with hooks. You can replace them with spinnerbait blades or soft plastics with no hook, but no more that two hooked baits.

alarig.jpg

cant friggin wait, i literally go every day in the summer.

im also going to try to learn to fly fish this year. i wanted to last summer but spent way too much time on the spinning reel.

wanna get a nice baitcaster too

Last edited:
Ultra/micro light, the last few years, when not hunting monster stripers. A >1 lb bass is like reeling in a whale! Fun![smile] Tackle is cheaper too.

Please be aware that the "Alabama rig" is illegal in MA in freshwater if you have more than two baits with hooks. You can replace them with spinnerbait blades or soft plastics with no hook, but no more that two hooked baits.

alarig.jpg

And my personal favorite:

images

The clambrella rig.

I went out a few weeks back before that last snowstorm, didnt catch anything but ill probably get out on wednesday and try to find some bass. I saw those umbrella rigs at dicks recently and they look interesting, might pick one up for some river trolling perhaps, let us know how it works for you.

UPS man brought presents today. Three top shot gaffs. 4x4, 6x6, 8x4. Two sabiki rods, spinning ones.

IMG_20120319_184743.jpg

IMG_20120319_184751.jpg

IMG_20120319_184756.jpg

Can't wait to go stick something!

Boat prep is underway already, getting ready for slip splash In early May. Then time for fluke and stripers. Get me into latter June and let the sharking begin south of Block and then the hunt for tuna. U am determined to put one of those little school bluefin in my boat solo this year, can't wait. I am a marine angling addict, on the water every weekend May through September.

Much new tuna gear this year, ready for the hunt.

Posted with my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm anxiously awaiting stripers to start hitting the canal. Spring surf Fishing at the Canal is my favorite.

Tapatalkin

Nice fish. Nice outfit, too. I have 4 Loomis casting rods. Love 'em but a tad pricey.

anyone know of any good places on the south shore (or close to there) for some bass? me and a few buddies usually go to Lake Nip in raynham to fish.

also, a 'secret' place down in Bridgewater too near the correctional facility[smile]

There are pike in East Brimfield Reservoir and a few lakes out west like Onota. There are some good sized ones in the CT River (try Barton Cove). If you are really serious, head up to Lake Champlain. We catch the damn things all the time while bass fishing.

I joined. Looks like a great forum.

Saw your registration! [wink]

The public side of the forum is a bit slow right now, but we have a good core group of guys and it's growing slowly but surely. There's a large section of the forum that is viewable to members only, and we hold our monthly club meetings there via a live chat module so that everyone can participate.

We're planning another beach clean-up at Gooseberry Island for Saturday, April 21st. This will be our 3rd year hosting a clean-up event at that location. Would be great to see some of you guys down there for this!

Back
Top Bottom