• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fixed mag lower build

Just need to satisfy my curiosity as I was reading an earlier post somewhere and got to thinking. Would it be possible to build a MA compliant fixed mag lower with a pre ban 30 round magazine and have it still be legal? I’m sure I already know the answer but just thought I’d ask. .... be gentle

Purely to answer the question, no. It's a new build. Mag is irrelevant in this instance.

To echo @DPR. Build whatever you want. Register if you're feeling frisky. Call @TPNES and grab that Gucci flavor.

Or grab a block of aluminum and a file and Shawshank yourself a rifle. Cheaper and more prideful solution.

Just need to satisfy my curiosity as I was reading an earlier post somewhere and got to thinking. Would it be possible to build a MA compliant fixed mag lower with a pre ban 30 round magazine and have it still be legal? I’m sure I already know the answer but just thought I’d ask. .... be gentle

This has been brought up in the past on this forum, and I think the general consensus is that it's not worth it for a number of reasons. But the one that I find most intriguing is that going fixed mag would be a compliance move. MA has a kind of shaky truce over fixed mag AR's right now, where some FFL's even got specific AG guidance on the matter, but only for models specifically set up as 10rd versions (Minuteman Armory, for one). So if you want to go for compliance, but then test the waters with a 30rd preban, who knows how that would be "interpreted". In concept, it sounds like it might be ok on paper. But this is MA, meaning I'm sure you'd still get messed up over it. Either real trouble or the type of trouble that ends with you with a pyrrhic victory (lengthy legal process and ridiculous lawyer bill). Doesn't seem worth it given the other options at hand.

f*** the fixed mag nonsense. Unless of course you’re building an AR pistol.
Otherwise just buy a standard lower and build it. TPNES is selling some.

To answer your question, no. The state's opinion is you are mfg a new large capacity feeding device.

Also, I get way more people looking to get rid of a fixed mag setup than looking to buy one.

Look around, you'll find regular lowers for sale.

One could build a standard AR compliant under the real AWB.

One could also build a fixed mag AR with whatever features they want and not be subject to the AWB. They make speed loaders for fixed mag AR's now that make reloading a breeze. Collapsable stock, threaded barrel, pistol grip, etc, etc.

... provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: <sic> (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition;

Back
Top Bottom