Florida carry permit

PATRON

NES Life Member
NES Member
Hi does anyone here have an out of State Florida carry permit,and how did they go about getting it.
Thank you.

It's not hard, you do need prints by a LEO on their card (not FBI card) and it's not cheap. The packet above lays out everything. I've had one since 1999 but am letting it lapse due to LEOSA and never intending to visit FL again anyway.

Hi does anyone here have an out of State Florida carry permit,and how did they go about getting it.
Thank you.
Get ahold of Rob, he does a Multi State Course...

He will even come to your club if you have enough people for a class... I used him before for classes that I set up for a club I use to belong to, he does a Gr8 job... If I remember correctly he's the person that helped MA set up their "requirement" for MA LTC's...

Multi-License (MA-CT-UT-FL-ME-NH) Firearm Course

Or you can go to Florida's website to get a "package" and have your Local PD do your finger prints...

Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Last edited:
Have had FL for awhile. No need for a class. You will need to have the pd do the fingerprint cards. Woburn does it free for residents . Ymmv

You do need a live fire course or other proof of “competency with a firearm.” Among other ways, any state certified/NRA/LE instructor can teach it. Requirements for live fire are at the end of following quote:

QUESTION 6
Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
• any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
• any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
• any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
• any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security officers, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
• any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name, your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearms Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license/ certification number.
Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
• documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition; • active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience
with a firearm gained during service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry for your current active-duty period;
• former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service. PLEASE NOTE: Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course, any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, or any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association must include live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in Section 790.001, Florida Statutes, in the physical presence of an instructor.

DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL TRAINING DOCUMENTS OR OTHER RELATED MATERIALS TO THE DIVISION.

You do need a live fire course or other proof of “competency with a firearm.” Among other ways, any state certified/NRA/LE instructor can teach it. Requirements for live fire are at the end of following quote:

That's why I recommended Rob, you get a 6 Plus State Course with Live Fire that covers you for any Permit...

That's why I recommended Rob, you get a 6 Plus State Course with Live Fire that covers you for any Permit...

No doubt. I only mention it because many MA residents who took a bfs class did so with a live fire portion.

I am all about further training, but if it’s just to get a certificate to apply for a state license, it is good to know you may already have it.

No doubt. I only mention it because many MA residents who took a bfs class did so with a live fire portion.

I am all about further training, but if it’s just to get a certificate to apply for a state license, it is good to know you may already have it.

Yup your right, I wasn't thinking that way...

I was thinking of the person that wanted to get a MA LTC or Florida LTC...

If your going for a MA LTC or a Florida LTC why not go through the 6 Plus State Class and get covered for almost all of the Country was my thinking...

I just ordered the packet and did it myself. I took a class back in the 80’s that had live fire plus I had my DD214.

I checked the box for free expedited processing for veterans and I had the permit back in less than two weeks from the date I mailed it.

Bob

Funny thing about this Thread is I just got my renewal in the mail...

Now I just have to get my Local PD to sign the Finger Print Card, make out a check and then send it back...

Yup your right, I wasn't thinking that way...

I was thinking of the person that wanted to get a MA LTC or Florida LTC...

If your going for a MA LTC or a Florida LTC why not go through the 6 Plus State Class and get covered for almost all of the Country was my thinking...

I get that. I used to have FL, UT, ME, NH, & MA Res. FL and UT get you virtually all of the same states. But I have family in FL, so I allowed UT to lapse. ME and NH are no longer needed, so I let those expire as well.
CT is the only real hole in my local plan, but my rule of thumb is, if they won’t let me carry, I don’t go.

I get that. I used to have FL, UT, ME, NH, & MA Res. FL and UT get you virtually all of the same states. But I have family in FL, so I allowed UT to lapse. ME and NH are no longer needed, so I let those expire as well.
CT is the only real hole in my local plan, but my rule of thumb is, if they won’t let me carry, I don’t go.

I keep ordering the CT Forms but I haven't done it yet... I just got another Package from CT to do it at the same time as my Florida renewal... I go to CT enough with my Hotrod and I'm sick of pulling my holster and stuff off each day before I head down to one of the shows... I might as well do it at the same time, that way I only have to go to my PD once for the Finger print cards ;)...

I keep up my NH, Florida, UTAH and Maine LTC's, I figure it's easier to renew instead of starting all over again incase they change... As well as my CommyWealth of MA (home state) LTC...

I haven't tried for a RI LTC yet, Rob told us that they are a very heavy rejection State... Then you have the rejection over your head every time you try to renew another LTC and having to explain why you have a rejection... I hardly ever go to RI so I haven't tried for it...

Last edited:
I keep ordering the CT Forms but I haven't done it yet... I just got another Package from CT to do it at the same time as my Florida renewal... I go to CT enough with my Hotrod and I'm sick of pulling my holster and stuff off each day before I head down to one of the shows... I might as well do it at the same time, that way I only have to go to my PD once for the Finger print cards ;)....

I got my CT non-resident last year. They quoted a 4 month turn around and that is what it was; almost to the day.

Four separate checks were required for:
$15 fee to be fingerprinted.
$70 application fee
$75 CT fingerprint processing fee
$12 FBI fingerprint processing fee

The $15.00 finger print fee is because I had them do my prints there when I applied in person. I wanted to apply in person as I wanted to make sure that they would acccept my course from 1984 and they did as it had live fire.

I can say that the staff there was absolutely terrific.

I haven't tried for a RI LTC yet, Rob told us that they are a very heavy rejection State... Then you have the rejection over your head every time you try to renew another LTC and having to explain why you have a rejection... I hardly ever go to RI so I haven't tried for it....

I’ve been debating this myself.

The Mosby V Devine Supreme Court decision determined that having a C&R was sufficient reason to issue a pistol permit but there are a lot of hoops to go through.

Bob

I got my CT non-resident last year. They quoted a 4 month turn around and that is what it was; almost to the day.

Four separate checks were required for:
$15 fee to be fingerprinted.
$70 application fee
$75 CT fingerprint processing fee
$12 FBI fingerprint processing fee

The $15.00 finger print fee is because I had them do my prints there when I applied in person. I wanted to apply in person as I wanted to make sure that they would acccept my course from 1984 and they did as it had live fire.

I can say that the staff there was absolutely terrific.

I’ve been debating this myself.

The Mosby V Devine Supreme Court decision determined that having a C&R was sufficient reason to issue a pistol permit but there are a lot of hoops to go through.

Bob

I thought it was 4 checks, I couldn't remember that when I was answering before so I didn't want to say a number...

I bought my own Finger Print Cards, Finger Print Pad and a few other things to do prints... I think my PD (very small town and I know them all) will just sign the cards for me if I bring them in already done... Saves time that way, they only do Firearm permits once a month... If not I'll just do another set there...

As far as RI I think I'd be fine, I have the C&R also plus my Honorable Discharge, my Police Firearms Certificate and all my other LTC's... I'd just hate to do it and get a reject for some reason...

FL is the only state I have seen that has the words "Consumer Services" in the name of the agency that issues permits (Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services).

OK,so I sent my Florida licence application on 9/19/19.On 10/7/19 licence approved,and today 10/11/19
licence arrived in the mail. What I like about the system is the application has a big number on the front
that you use on their web page to track the status of your licence process.This State could learn from that.I forgot to thank you guys on this post who helped me.

Last edited:
ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG

Florida just sent me a new Fingerprint card to redo, they said mine that I sent "wasn't readable enough to pass a complete back ground check"...

Both the Cheif and I looked at the card after I did it and said it looked fine, this is stupid!!!

Back
Top Bottom