Florida non-res. LTC ?

NFD9

NES Member
Can someone give me some advice on how to, and the fastest way to get a Florida non res. LTC. I live in Ma. and have had my LTC/A since 1983. I took a LTC safety course back in the mid 80's, but don't know if I can find the certificate or if I need it to apply?
Thanks in advance
Gary

cgc510,
Thanks.

Cross-X,
I saw that when I was looking on line.
Thanks.

Gary

I got my first FL NR CCW in 2001, so my info is based on that. I don't think it has changed any, but check their packet to be sure.

FL requires the instructor's NRA Instructor Number on the certificate. I had taken an NRA Home Firearm Responsibility course back in the late 1970s and the card we were given didn't have the NRA Instructor Number on it, so I doubt that they (FL) would accept it. You may be in the same boat.

I also wouldn't assume that they would accept a 20 year old certificate without calling and asking them. They are extremely helpful on the phone, so don't hesitate to ask them any questions.

I just arranged with a friend who is an NRA Instructor to go thru a course with him that fit FL's requirements.

I sent in my paperwork to FL in either late July or early August 2001 and didn't receive my FL NR CCW until early December 2001 (the permit was dated late November 2001). There was a glitch, as they claimed my application wasn't Notarized properly . . . they scan it in and on the scan they couldn't see the embossed seal. On the phone with them I had them look very carefully and they then could recognize the very slightest impression on their scanned copy. So my app was likely delayed by a few weeks in processing.

My renewal last November only took a few weeks after I mailed in the check/fingerprint card/form.

An old conveyancer's trick is to rub (gently) the side of a pencil lead over the embossed seal, so that it will appear when instruments are photocopied.

An old conveyancer's trick is to rub (gently) the side of a pencil lead over the embossed seal, so that it will appear when instruments are photocopied.

Carbon paper (look on the back of many checks) works very well also.

Cross-X,
That site is perfect for the info i needed.
Have you had any experiance with FL licensing?
Do you know if it always takes 90 days?
I was hoping to get it within 60-70 days.
Thanks
Gary

If you are pressed for time because you are traveling to Florida keep in mind that you don't need any permit to carry a gun in your car with you. You can keep the gun in your car and in your hotel room. You just can't carry it on you or transport it legally between the hotel and car.

-Cuz.

If you are pressed for time because you are traveling to Florida keep in mind that you don't need any permit to carry a gun in your car with you. You can keep the gun in your car and in your hotel room. You just can't carry it on you or transport it legally between the hotel and car.

-Cuz.

Um...federal law only covers transport if you have a home state license and a NR license to where your going (point A to point B). If you don't have a FL non-res - I wouldn't take the gun.

Um...federal law only covers transport if you have a home state license and a NR license to where your going (point A to point B). If you don't have a FL non-res - I wouldn't take the gun.

Not quite. The federal law requires that one be able to "possess and carry" the firearm. It was originally focused on people transporting firearms for hunting and target shooting, since not that many states issued NR CCWs back in '86. Besides, if they required licenses, everyone from VT would be out of luck. Here's the complete text:
Title 18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Ken

Not quite. The federal law requires that one be able to "possess and carry" the firearm. It was originally focused on people transporting firearms for hunting and target shooting, since not that many states issued NR CCWs back in '86. Besides, if they required licenses, everyone from VT would be out of luck. Here's the complete text:

Ken

I was assuming he was talking about from MA to FL (both have licenses) since the original question dealt with that and that's what I was responding to. [smile]

Cuz is correct. In Florida you can have a loaded firearm in your car without a license or permit as long as it is not accessible for immediate use. You can keep in your briefcase or something similar.

Florida only has licensing for concealed carry not possession. It does not matter if you are from a different state.

However you need to check the peaceable journey law in each state that you pass through on the way.

Needing a license for mere possession is a MA mindset. Most of the country does not think this way.

Last edited:
Needing a license for mere possession is a MA mindset. Most of the country does not think this way.

+1. Go almost anywhere else and you don't need to worry about a license just for bringing a gun with you. CCW is a different story, however.

My FL permit came signed by Charles Bronson. I'm not kidding, he is (or was) the head of the Agriculture Dept.

+1 on the advice to read FL law (and law for the other states the FL license will give you reciprocity for). Mass. has had CCW for a long time and has relatively few restrictions compared to the states that have passed CCW since 1987. The restrictions must have been compromises offered to get the new law passed.

See packing.org for the list of states the FL non-resident permit has reciprocity for. It's a great deal if you travel much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom