Fly Tyers?

Fixxah

NES Member
Anybody into tying their own? I think I may get back into it, my bench is slowly coming into view again now that there is some organizing finally taking place.

Living near Boston doesn't allow me to get into any decent water but tying flies is a lot of fun.

I learned to tie flies in grade school .
Most of my tools such as the vice and spool holder came from Herters back in the late 60s when I was a kid.

I make a few salt water teasers, fluke rigs, crab imitations and buck tails every year.

John I have tied for salt water only, about 8-10 years. Not much lately. I have a large box that was given to me full of fresh water material w/ some tools, vises, bobbins etc. if someone would like it. Are you interested. If I get the boat going this year we will have to out and see what comes up.

When you figure it out let me know. I have one of the basic kits but have only made some hack ugly looking things. I wonder if BPS has a class on that? Gonna have to look into that.

i got a whole kit years ago... i tied all sorts of real looking great flys just like the real deal.. i couldn't catch a trout with a single one of them... then i got pissed and one day just used a crappy green mess of a fly i made and HOLLY CRAP i caught trout..

that's my fly anyway, i don't even take care in making them.. green or yellow or pink feather mess on a #10 hook, spin a quick head to hold it and a spot of glue and they catch trout!!!!!!!!!!... if i need them to sink i just jam a split shot on there with it..

Anybody into tying their own? I think I may get back into it, my bench is slowly coming into view again now that there is some organizing finally taking place.

Living near Boston doesn't allow me to get into any decent water but tying flies is a lot of fun.

I haven't done that in quite some time. I should dig out my gear, too.

Any one who wants to learn all about fly tying with free friendly expert help, nothing needed but a smile and about $5-10 ( I don't remember how much) should look up United Fly Tyers. There is a chapter in Ma. that meets once a month in Woburn I believe and another in RI that meets in Warwick. Usually a great group of welcoming friendly people eager to introduce any one interested. My son and I started out there years ago and learned alot. Can't go wrong there.www.uftri.org/ www.unitedflytyers.org/

John I have tied for salt water only, about 8-10 years. Not much lately. I have a large box that was given to me full of fresh water material w/ some tools, vises, bobbins etc. if someone would like it. Are you interested. If I get the boat going this year we will have to out and see what comes up.
I would be all over that. Let me know how we can meet up.

Any one who wants to learn all about fly tying with free friendly expert help, nothing needed but a smile and about $5-10 ( I don't remember how much) should look up United Fly Tyers. There is a chapter in Ma. that meets once a month in Woburn I believe and another in RI that meets in Warwick. Usually a great group of welcoming friendly people eager to introduce any one interested. My son and I started out there years ago and learned alot. Can't go wrong there.www.uftri.org/ www.unitedflytyers.org/

Great bunch of folks. I went to an auction and bought my first book on tying, it's one of my favorites. Seems I have too many thumbs for tying little dry flies but I will be trying very soon.

Back
Top Bottom