• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flying with declared firearm

What happens if you fly with a pistol and plane has to make an emergency landing or due to weather, your connecting flight doesn't happen and you're stranded at an airport in the great state of NY where your gun is illegal?

As far as I know, you leave your bag on the carousel and walk away. The airline is responsible for getting your bag to it's final destination.
This. Do not take possession of your luggage. You are holding a contract with the airlines that they are responsible to deliver it to the final destination. Ignore it.

Since luggage is the airlines responsibility to get to your destination they are not supposed to release it to you if there is an intermediate stop overnight. I've had that happen a few times and they will flat out refuse to give it to you. Mostly because the ground staff won't have access to it. It won't appear on the carousel as it has to stay in the controlled part of the airport.

The last few times I flew with firearms the suitcase was held in the Baggage Service Office (BSO) not put on the carousel. The bags were tagged "BSO." The first time they forgot to tel me, so I waited for the bag to appear. Now, I know what that tag means.
What happens if you fly with a pistol and plane has to make an emergency landing or due to weather, your connecting flight doesn't happen and you're stranded at an airport in the great state of NY where your gun is illegal?

If flying Delta, it goes to an office. You leave it there. Delta os great to fly with checked guns.

If flying other airlines, I don't know. But they are not supposed to go to a carousel.

That was my fear when flying over NY. There is a thread about it.

It's a recent change because of the very issue you point out. Early on, the TSA often checked the firearm box in a semi public place outside the "sterile zone." Now, it's all done on the other side, at least that's what I've seen. Passengers are not allowed into the secure area where they do that check. This happened to me a few years ago at Logan. What they finally did was allow me to stand in the doorway and observe them open the firearms box.

They don't check as much as they used to. Only if the box alerts to explosives or some other contraband. Gun powder residue doesn't trigger any alarms.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Not true.

Detroit: they open it in front of everyone. Detroit TSA checked mine. Like actually checked all around the foam, even found my air tag behind the foam.

Boston: Delta opens it, checks it (right there at baggage check where everyone can see it), then sends it to TSA, and I don't know the rest because they told me to wait 5min to hear back from TSA. When TSA called they said to move through.

Solving the key problem ... get a couple of Abus locks with a rsetable combination. Set it to what you like. Done.

Since luggage is the airlines responsibility to get to your destination they are not supposed to release it to you if there is an intermediate stop overnight. I've had that happen a few times and they will flat out refuse to give it to you. Mostly because the ground staff won't have access to it. It won't appear on the carousel as it has to stay in the controlled part of the airport.
I agree. However, there have been instances where a plane was diverted to an airport almost at the destination, for whatever reason but usually due to weather, and the airline cancels the remaining flight. It is up to you to find your way. Hell, I landed at one airport 10 miles away from my destination due to weather and we had to call for a cab to get to the airport where we were expected.

I could easily see New England airports, where airports are so close to each other, stranding passengers 'close enough' to their destination.

Matt

I agree. However, there have been instances where a plane was diverted to an airport almost at the destination, for whatever reason but usually due to weather, and the airline cancels the remaining flight. It is up to you to find your way. Hell, I landed at one airport 10 miles away from my destination due to weather and we had to call for a cab to get to the airport where we were expected.

I could easily see New England airports, where airports are so close to each other, stranding passengers 'close enough' to their destination.

Matt
Happened to my wife. Landed at Albany and was told she could take a cab to Boston, she did, the airline paid.

But she also had the option to stay overnight and fly the following morning.

At this point you are at your destination, so should have no problem. The case in New York happened when the guy checked in a firearm. The airlines have to notify the PAPD when a firearm is checked in, but apparently not when someone is picking one up.

The one time I went to the BSO and a cop was there he was just hitting on the cute young woman behind the counter. He was probably pissed when she asked me if I'd take her shooting sometime. I declined, but with regret.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom