• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FN 57 30-06

So, a little while back I picked up 32 rounds of surplus 30-06 head stamped FN 57 on en blocs. At the time, I was told it was non-corrosive and being the (gullible) trusting guy I am, I went with that assumption. After getting home, I googled it and see that FN switched to non-corrosive on Dec. 6, 1957. So, while it’s possible that these were made in those c.25 days at the end of the year, I’m not optimistic.

Is there any definitive/easy way to determine if these rounds happened to be in that small non-corrosive time? Other than shooting it and waiting, of course. I’ve tried looking online but didn’t see anything other than trying to test control metals, etc. which to me isn’t worth it for 32 rounds.

I shoot corrosive in my Mosin without hesitation as long as I can clean it promptly, but it’s less involved with a bolt gun. I don’t think I want to shoot this in a Garand with the gas system, etc.

I’m thinking I might just pull the bullets and use them for reloading since I assume the prospect of reselling or trading these cartridges is slim. The cases are berdan primed so that’s a loss.

Last edited:
Just flip them.... go to local gun club breakfast and sell them. Someone will buy them if priced right.

Or you can keep them until your M1 is ready for a detail strip and clean and shoot them just prior?

Just flip them.... go to local gun club breakfast and sell them. Someone will buy them if priced right.

Or you can keep them until your M1 is ready for a detail strip and clean and shoot them just prior?
Our club breakfasts aren't that happening; at least the few ones I've made it to. I usually save the corrosive 7.62x54R for when I have time to shoot a ton of it (like the car shoot at Monadnock) or it's getting a thorough clean anyway. So maybe that's the best remedy.

As mentioned many times before, many of the foreign berdan-primed cases are perfectly reloadable. It simply isn't worth the effort for most.
Except for most 7.62x54R and some .303 British, which require the 6.47mm primers, most others utilize the .217" diameter. The latter had been available until the Russian trade embargo.

Look up "brite nail test" on YouTube. I was a little scared of setting off primers with a hammer, but it turned out to be no big deal. I have some FN57, which proved to be corrosive.

Back
Top Bottom