FN Browning HP Discontinued. Rumor? Maybe

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Would seem there is a fairly active rumor going on that FN has discontinued production of the Browning HP and that the last shipment came to the US in March. Since that time FN has disassembled the production line and stopped all versions of the Browning HP. There are some fairly lengthy discussions happening over on Gunboards and The Firing Line on this with many of the rumors being backed up.

There seems though to be someone who knows several Browning reps over on The Browning Owners forum who has talked to FN and got the scoop. Here is the breakdown of that discussion.

Good news is that the Hi-Power is not discontinued. Yet. Browning still has them available, and will continue to distribute throughout the rest of the 2017 model year.
Unfortunately however, it is on the chopping block. Whether it returns for the 2018 catalog is all up to how well it performs this year. Due to low sales, the Hi-Power is currently being reviewed for dismissal from production. If sales boost, then it will return. If they continue to remain stagnant, it will be discontinued from the manufacturer, and will not be available starting the 2018 catalog year.
Also what concerns me is the rumor of discontinuing the Hi-Power being fairly well known. This will no doubt increase sales, as people will want to buy in before the prices increase (which happens whenever a popular firearm is discontinued), which might save it from being discontinued this year, but will likely have an adverse affect in the following year, due to sustainability of sales.
I also asked about a possible catalog replacement, and he hit up on the idea of a possible 9mm 1911 to fill the void.
All in all, no the Hi-Power is not discontinued. But brace yourself, as the announcement will likely come this fall.

Hummmm, a rumor from an unknown source states Browning HPs are done being imported, sales skyrocket as people who have been waiting to get one scramble to get one and then production continues for a few more years. Soooo, yep. FN/Browning is the source of the rumor. Interesting sales tactic.

Though I would hate to see the HP be discontinued for a 1911. Glad I got my Inglis when I did before prices start to fluctuate.

Expensive, too. Great design but price is simply not competitive.

This^

I have a High Power that is fabulous, and I'm wishing right now I didn't sell my other one, but real metal costs money.
Look around, polymer guns have taken over the market, they even have polymer frame revolvers now.
Metal framed handguns simply can't compete on a cost basis with plastic.
Except for a lone G27 which I bought when I lived in Mass during the late 90's, I've resisted buying plastic guns up until recently. Just this year I bought an FNS9 new with 3 mags for $399, and an S&W Shield in .45 for only $225 dollars! (after rebate)
At those prices, I'd be an idiot if I didn't buy them.

It is a really old design, no wonder it's not selling.

Yeah I hear all the u.s. manufacturers are going to stop selling the 1911 due to their slumping sales of that old designed too

In fact there's a rumor substantiated that I heard lately that all us manufacturers are going to stop selling revolvers because those are so old and nobody wants the anymore. They are l going to make glocks damn it! Only Glocks will be manufactured from now on! All the old designed just suck![rolleyes]

****ing troll[rolleyes]

Last edited:
It is a really old design, no wonder it's not selling.

So is the 1911 and a large percent of many guns are old browning designs still being pumped out.

If you really look deep nothing really has changed in the design of a gun and ammunition in over 100 years.
Material maybe....but that's old news also. Only reason polymer has come into play is the cost now.
John C Garand designed a polymer stock and one piece upper hand guard for the Garand but it was to expensive to produce in large numbers..... go figure.

Last edited:
Glad I got my Inglis when I did before prices start to fluctuate.

Noted, but it shouldn't make a difference. If Colt stopped making series 80 1911s next year, it wouldn't have any effect on the current market for, say, 1944 Remington-Rands.

I love the HP and have one, but Zappa's right. I'm not surprised they're throwing in the towel. Apparently, the machinery is worn and sales of an all-steel 1935 pistol design ain't exactly likely to recoup the investment in new plant. I buy that.

Do the Argentinians still make them? I've got no idea. Anyone?

Noted, but it shouldn't make a difference. If Colt stopped making series 80 1911s next year, it wouldn't have any effect on the current market for, say, 1944 Remington-Rands.

I love the HP and have one, but Zappa's right. I'm not surprised they're throwing in the towel. Apparently, the machinery is worn and sales of an all-steel 1935 pistol design ain't exactly likely to recoup the investment in new plant. I buy that.

Do the Argentinians still make them? I've got no idea. Anyone?

This might just be the only reason. I don't know what the tooling is and how old it is. I'm doubting these days that they are using tooling that is that old. I'm sure many of the parts are made on modern CNC machines. If they are not selling and no entity is ordering them as a service side arm ...move on.
I would not want to hear FN goes bankrupt for holding on to production of guns that don't sell.

Also if browning did not sell his patent for the 1911 to colt the HP might never have been.
The French might have used the 1911 or 1903?

Last edited:
True; certainly there are no new military customers on the horizon. I doubt there are enough countries with the HP still in service to even justify a big parts market. And I don't want FN going under due to nostalgia, that's for sure.

Like it or not (I don't), the plastic pistol has proven itself. Pretty soon, only pachyderms like me are going to want metal guns.

True; certainly there are no new military customers on the horizon. I doubt there are enough countries with the HP still in service to even justify a big parts market. And I don't want FN going under due to nostalgia, that's for sure.

Like it or not (I don't), the plastic pistol has proven itself. Pretty soon, only pachyderms like me are going to want metal guns.

F' Polymer! Avoiding it as much as possible.
Just not picked a polymer yet that felt right.
Closest thing I have to "plastic" is the alloy frame SW 39-2

I bought a Glock 21 once, but in fairness it was 1997 and everybody was buying Glocks.

I had it for 12 years and fired it maybe three times? Every time I looked at it I wondered why I bought it; I'm one of those guys who needs to feel a connection with a gun, and plastic just doesn't do it. But I'm fine with alloy.

Granted and I was being a little flip, but if prices do fluxuate I'll be glad I have at least one type. I've been wanting to get an original HP, but just never had the opportunity to get one at a decent price. Yes, it's a skinflint thing, but I have no aversion to buying guns second hand.....

Also if browning did not sell his patent for the 1911 to colt the HP might never have been.
The French might have used the 1911 or 1903?

Didn't the exclusivity rights on the 1911 parts expire just in time for JMB to 'complete' the design before passing? I know he didn't actually fit and finish what we know as the HP today, but it wouldn't be here in its current form if it wasn't for his earlier designs.

I spent WAY too much on a nice Nazi vet bring back that was received in trade from a young French boy for a bar of Hershey chocolate at the close of the European Theatre. It doens't have tangent sights, but not too many of us can shoot 9mm 500 yards anyway...maybe if the target were a lake or or something.

I've got a concentration-camp-labor made Nazi stamped HP. Reminder of what terrible people will do. Won't ever sell it. Might be the second-to-last gun I would own.

Have a 90's vintage (I think) tangent-sighted FN-BHP. No idea why I bought it. LOL But it's fun to shoot as well.

Never had any luck with magazines with either gun. The ones they came with (the newer one with neutered ones) were the only ones that ever worked. :(

Expensive, too. Great design but price is simply not competitive.

This is entirely the reason why I haven't bought one. I would love to have one. I like the gun a lot, it's a proven design like the 1911, it's a great piece of history, but it's too goddamn expensive even in free states! The mass penalty tax on top of it makes it just way too much money. I can get a 9mm 1911 cheaper were I so inclined, and any of the plastic pistols even cheaper than that.

This is entirely the reason why I haven't bought one. I would love to have one. I like the gun a lot, it's a proven design like the 1911, it's a great piece of history, but it's too goddamn expensive even in free states! The mass penalty tax on top of it makes it just way too much money. I can get a 9mm 1911 cheaper were I so inclined, and any of the plastic pistols even cheaper than that.

I would agree, I had one and loved it, but its ~900 for a new one, (at KTP, maybe less elsewhere) for a 13 round capacity full size with a mag disconnect. For that money you can get a 1911 9mm, or a CZ-75 (better trigger, nearly as good ergonomics, no mag disconnet)) or two polymer framed guns. Or a Sig 320 X5 that has lightened slide, MOS mount option, and adjustable sights.

Yeah I hear all the u.s. manufacturers are going to stop selling the 1911 due to their slumping sales of that old designed too
I sold my Kimber and own a .45 Shield now. Lighter, same ammo capacity and magically not a ton of recoil. New alloys and polymers are improving gun design.

Last edited:
I sold my Kimber and own a .45 Shield now. Lighter, same ammo capacity and magically not a ton of recoil. New alloys and polymers are improving gun design.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. So you sold your 1911. Good for you.

And tha ks for posting....I never would have known that polymer guns held more ammo and weighed less. Jeezus you saved my life. What would NES do without you. [rolleyes]

Ok.....sarcasm switch off now.....

And because you are such a fantabulous awesome gun guru expert ninja warrier commando your opinion should be everyones opinion and we should all stop buying 1911s?

Stop trolling.

You need to get through you head that not everyone buys a gun to carry it daily......some buy for history and collectability. The high power by the way.....is an amazing gun. I don't own one but a friend does......they shoot very well and are beautiful.

You may go back to your ninja patrol at the mall now.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the text duped in my post, removed it.

It is, with the current discount I could buy 4 Shields and some ammo for the same money and arm my entire neighbourhood.

And all of your mall ninjas friends too I bet!

Yawn. It's run its course, unless they're going to update it. (they could start by putting a safety on it that isn't a piece of shit, and removing the magazine safety. ) There's no point in buying these guns, CZ takes all the good stuff from the BHP and incorporates it into a crapload of models.

-Mike

I've got a concentration-camp-labor made Nazi stamped HP. Reminder of what terrible people will do. :(

Which camp has it been made at? IIRC they were made in the occupied FN plant, along with 1910/22's.

Mine are a 1938 w/ tangent sight and a 1943/44 w/ fixed sight, the latter with the German acceptance marks.

Not surprised. They are great guns.. but they never really caught on aftermarket/customization wise.

If I wanted a heavy low cap all steel 9mm Id buy a 1911 in 9mm. There are millions of 1911 parts, accessories, holsters, sizes etc.

I love me a 1911.. I have two full customs. The HP never appealed to me.

Right, like the 1911. Wicked old design. It's been around for over 110 years! (design predates 1911)

It is an "old design" but it is the bomb-diggity.

IIRC, the P35 is an improved (?) design by JMB, who had to work around the 1911 patent rights, which he no longer possessed. He removed the pivoting link, and that one change alone made
that pistol a breeze to disassembled and re-assemble. It was one of the first three handguns that I ever bought and it was a "Made in Belgium".

Back
Top Bottom