• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Foaming Bore Cleaner , poor old mosin

mac1911

NES Member
I was using GunSlick Foaming bore cleaner for years then GunSlick brand was bought up by the Hoppes/Vista Outdoors
I then gave Wipe out a try. It worked very well and I used up the can more quickly than usual doing some projects. Well when I decided to buy more its been back ordered or Expensive!

So I have a project bubba 1891 that needs a deep cleaning to see if the bore is even salvageable for cast loads. Already pre bubba'd so no real worries.
Heck I might even cut the barrel back to 16" and it will sport a 4x scope and be a ranch gun ?

Any how decided to try Hoppes Foaming bore cleaner to see how it does. I will give the bore a pre scrub with soapy hot water then go from there

Not the worst bore I have seen but it aint pretty

View: https://youtu.be/hlf5ZGVaun0
1896 Hex nothing matching
9541B6C6-F4D3-4B94-BEA0-FC4CF9C27BBC.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not just use a bore snake? Cleaner and works just as well without getting chemicals everywhere
might use the bore snake ? might use some old brushes I have.
Not to worried about the chemicals getting everywhere. The snake does just a good a job flinging shit around when you pull it through as a brush or patch ?

I will cover the end of the muzzle with a old card board box to help contain the fling of shit when you push a brush or snake through

I was using GunSlick Foaming bore cleaner for years then GunSlick brand was bought up by the Hoppes/Vista Outdoors
I then gave Wipe out a try. It worked very well and I used up the can more quickly than usual doing some projects. Well when I decided to buy more its been back ordered or Expensive!

So I have a project bubba 1891 that needs a deep cleaning to see if the bore is even salvageable for cast loads. Already pre bubba'd so no real worries.
Heck I might even cut the barrel back to 16" and it will sport a 4x scope and be a ranch gun ?

Any how decided to try Hoppes Foaming bore cleaner to see how it does. I will give the bore a pre scrub with soapy hot water then go from there

View attachment 579473

After the foaming bore cleaner, I'd give that some serious scrubbing with a jag and several patches with JB bore cleaner paste.

Put a plastic water bottle over the muzzle and brush/patch from the chamber to the muzzle. Keeps all the icky toxic stuff contained and if you are running a million patches on jags, the patches can be let to fall neatly into the bottle for disposal.

That bore is one of the worst sewer pipes I've ever seen. Hard to tell if the rifling is still there or if it's been pitted into oblivion.

Put a plastic water bottle over the muzzle and brush/patch from the chamber to the muzzle. Keeps all the icky toxic stuff contained and if you are running a million patches on jags, the patches can be let to fall neatly into the bottle for disposal.

That bore is one of the worst sewer pipes I've ever seen. Hard to tell if the rifling is still there or if it's been pitted into oblivion.
Thats not bad, I could get the bore snake through it.

Why not just use a bore snake? Cleaner and works just as well without getting chemicals everywhere
A bore snake works well for a decent quick cleaning but that’s FAR from a deep cleaning.

I will say I use a bore snake for all of my guns when I get home from the range. But they’re kept clean and lubed unlike mac’s rifle there😂

A bore snake works well for a decent quick cleaning but that’s FAR from a deep cleaning.

I will say I use a bore snake for all of my guns when I get home from the range. But they’re kept clean and lubed unlike mac’s rifle there😂
I use a bore snake also for that quick rip to get the loose shit out.
When I get home its snake, wet patch sit for a few minutes dry patch and a oil patch . Then into the safe.
I generally dont “clean” my rifles unless groups open up , I do a yearly check and oil for rust prevention

View attachment 579473

After a good scrub with just hot soapy water.....only a hint of any rifling

View: https://youtu.be/MpV_aXmjWM0

Bore snakes have the same problem as old Lee Enfield twine pull throughs, cord wear from embedded grit. Carbon and rust flakes get stuck in the fibers and act like sandpaper.

Rods or coated pull throughs need to be cleaned with each pass through a bore. That's something which can't be done with a fabric pull through short of washing it between each pass.

That rifling is so worn and pitted it's hard to tell if it will do anything or if rounds will keyhole through a target no matter what. Maybe try firing some high quality copper jacketed rounds so that the pitting can be filled in with copper to see if the barrel is worth anything. Might tighten up after a few rounds when the pitting is filled in with copper, or it might not matter.

I'd bronze bush it a dozen times with oil to polish out any loose steel flakes first.

Bore snakes have the same problem as old Lee Enfield twine pull throughs, cord wear from embedded grit. Carbon and rust flakes get stuck in the fibers and act like sandpaper.

Rods or coated pull throughs need to be cleaned with each pass through a bore. That's something which can't be done with a fabric pull through short of washing it between each pass.

That rifling is so worn and pitted it's hard to tell if it will do anything or if rounds will keyhole through a target no matter what. Maybe try firing some high quality copper jacketed rounds so that the pitting can be filled in with copper to see if the barrel is worth anything. Might tighten up after a few rounds when the pitting is filled in with copper, or it might not matter.

I'd bronze bush it a dozen times with oil to polish out any loose steel flakes first.
Eh I will get it clean put the poor thing back together send some rounds down range and sigh

Eh I will get it clean put the poor thing back together send some rounds down range and sigh
Other than the Bubba stock is the rest of the rifle still an untouched M1891? Or is the receiver and muzzle screwed with too? I can't tell if the bolt handle was Bubba'd by Bubba or if that's one of the rarer extended bolt handles Russia tried in the early 20th century and never adopted.

Can probably make replacement wood for a M1891. I swear it was in their catalog or some other reproduction maker a few years back.

Last edited:
Other than the Bubba stock is the rest of the rifle still an untouched M1891? Or is the receiver and muzzle screwed with too? I can't tell if the bolt handle was Bubba'd by Bubba or if that's one of the rarer extended bolt handles Russia tried in the early 20th century and never adopted.

Can probably make replacement wood for a M1891. I swear it was in their catalog or some other reproduction maker a few years back.
Bubba bolt on bolt handle, Drilled and Taped Scope Mount.
Only matching numbers is Date on receiver tang and barrel .

You guys are all 'Glass half empty' types. That rough surface is a blessing. It creates a turbulent zone of separation around the projectile greatly reducing drag and allowing the bullet to reach hyper-sonic speed. I'm pretty sure this type (if not this exact rifle) was used to sink the Yamato.

image.jpg image.jpg
Does not even look like they cleaned the cosmoline off. Bolt and inside reciever where caked in it.
Scope mount screws are only a few threads into the reciever. .
Bore only has a hint of rifle left. Maybe I can load some round ball into the case neck and call it a ultra rare mosin musket

What was done to that rifle is a crime. 😓
They went all out on the ATI stock set…lol
Something tells me it was a gun smith quicky to get it out of the shop or practice.

Yeah I talked to a old gun smith that specialized in “sporterizing” rifles back in the 50s and 60s.
He said pointing to a group of military collectors “they would hang me if they knew how many surplus rifles I sported”
I have seen his work , stupid nice
Krags, 1903s , mausers all really well done.

My friend says he can't remember how many M1917s he chopped into hunting rifles back in the day along with other makes. It was just a thing you did with what were cheap guns at the time.

It makes the ones that survived in tact that much more valuable I suppose.

My friend says he can't remember how many M1917s he chopped into hunting rifles back in the day along with other makes. It was just a thing you did with what were cheap guns at the time.

It makes the ones that survived in tact that much more valuable I suppose.
Also brought life back to rifles that most likely would have been scrapped anyway

You guys are all 'Glass half empty' types. That rough surface is a blessing. It creates a turbulent zone of separation around the projectile greatly reducing drag and allowing the bullet to reach hyper-sonic speed. I'm pretty sure this type (if not this exact rifle) was used to sink the Yamato.
How much shot fits in x54 cartridge?

They went all out on the ATI stock set…lol
Something tells me it was a gun smith quicky to get it out of the shop or practice.

Yeah I talked to a old gun smith that specialized in “sporterizing” rifles back in the 50s and 60s.
He said pointing to a group of military collectors “they would hang me if they knew how many surplus rifles I sported”
I have seen his work , stupid nice
Krags, 1903s , mausers all really well done.
As long as there are some legacy museum quality examples somewhere, the collectors seriously need to lighten up regarding sporterizing. Here's what @mac1911 needs to do with that one:

pix989847559.jpg

Back
Top Bottom