• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FOPA and Indian reservations

ochmude

Marine Veteran
So I recently got a job that will be taking my wife and I out of the beautiful state of Massachusetts. We'll be relocating to Yuma, AZ, and will be driving our personal vehicles. I've already read up on FOPA as well as reviewed the possession and transport laws for each state we'll be driving through (btw, FOPA protection isn't even necessary once you get past NY, it's pretty awesome). Anyway, I was just looking at our likely route, and I see that we'll be going through some pretty substantial Indian reservations on I-40 in AZ. I'm assuming it's kosher to just drive on through, but does anyone know with certainty what the laws are for traveling through reservations with firearms?

So I recently got a job that will be taking my wife and I out of the beautiful state of Massachusetts. We'll be relocating to Yuma, AZ, and will be driving our personal vehicles. I've already read up on FOPA as well as reviewed the possession and transport laws for each state we'll be driving through (btw, FOPA protection isn't even necessary once you get past NY, it's pretty awesome). Anyway, I was just looking at our likely route, and I see that we'll be going through some pretty substantial Indian reservations on I-40 in AZ. I'm assuming it's kosher to just drive on through, but does anyone know with certainty what the laws are for traveling through reservations with firearms?

Carry beads and firewater as just in case you need to bribe the locals.
Congrats on getting out of MA!

I spent about four years in Yuma back in the 90's. Felt like at least a decade. [grin]

(Sorry, can't help with the laws on the rez.)

I wish you all the best!

I couldn't even begin to guess what the laws are on being in or driving thru a reservation in AZ.

My best advice would be to go on AR15.com to the Hometown Forums for AZ and ask there. If that doesn't give you any results, PM or Email me and I'll send you contact info for a friend who is a MA-escapee and lives in Morristown AZ. He's a big gun activist and should be up on the laws out there.

Federal law does not apply in the Indian Nations. Check with each of them that you will be passing through.

Federal law does not apply in the Indian Nations. Check with each of them that you will be passing through.

I don't know for sure what the answer to ochmude's question is so I have not jumped in but I know the above is 100% wrong.

Tribal lands are under the full and sovereign administration of the tribes with regards land, water and air rights. The tribes also have criminal and civil authority over all TRIBAL members when on those lands. The tribes have the authority of states to extradite tribal members for crimes and/or civil matters pertaining to the actions of tribe members when on the tribal lands. So tribe members can not be punished by the tribes for actions taken off tribal lands.

The tribes are required to abide by Congress. Period. The constitution makes it clear that Congress has all authority to regulate commerce with the tribes as it does with the states. So if congress has the power to regulate the actions of citizens in the states or the states themselves, it can regulate the tribes. FOPA is one such regulation. The federal constitution covers non tribe members on tribal lands as it does many aspects of the tribal to tribe member relationship. Tribe members have constitutional rights where members of the 50 states have the same.

It is because of the above and Oliphant v. Suquamish Indian Tribe (a ruling stating that tribal courts have no jurisdiction over non tribal members) that I think FOPA will apply to you brad but I am not sure of this so you need to look further for more accurate/knowledgeable answers.

Back
Top Bottom