• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FOPA-Protected Travel through CT and/or New York State

I drove from home in New Hampshire to Minnesota with my AR, Saiga, and three handguns with scary high-cap mags. I had several thousand rounds of ammunition, some tannerite, and a horribly evil knife.

I went through NY, IL and surprisingly enough I never got pounced on by the JBT because I didn't drive like an assh*le.

So I'm planning to travel to North Carolina this summer to visit my brother. I am thinking of bringing a long gun or two and some ammunition.

The guns would be unloaded and locked in cases separate from the ammunition. I have no plans to stop in either Connecticut or New York State. However, in that I live in Massachusetts and am traveling by car, I am obliged to pass through New York State and possibly CT as well, depending on the route. I am legally allowed to have the firearms and ammunition in question in both MA and NC.

Question: in light of recent changes to NY and CT law, what do my fellow NESers think about FOPA-protected travel? Am I placing myself at risk of becoming a test case?

Please note my route would not include New York City or any part of New Jersey. We already know the answers for those two holes.
You do not need a permit for a long gun in New York. My former boss lives in NH and hunts in upstate NY every year. Just keep the thundersticks unloaded, locked in hard cases and separate from the ammunition. The trunk is the best place. Put the rest of your luggage on top of the gun cases to further conceal them.

and this, right here, this is how FOPA works in NY/NJ, probably CT now given their new laws. do not stop, do not give them a reason to stop you, do not consent to a search.

FOPA is essentially null and void in these states. good luck, be safe.

NEVER consent to any search.

and NEVER talk to the police.

It also helps to not do anything that would give them probably cause to pull you over.

[video=youtube_share;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

Back
Top Bottom