For those that use the mil discount at Lowe's...

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
1646842691300.png

It can't be used on lumber, plywood, electrical wire, appliances....wtf???

It'll be cheaper to buy my lumber and appliances locally (which I've been doing since I moved here last October). Lowes had shitty lumber anyway. It'll save me the 90 mile trip one way to shop at Lowe's and then find out, even though they said they had it in stock on the phone, they don't.

Last edited:
I have a friend that works part time at Lowe’s…I called him a few minutes ago. He said people are finding out about this when they try to cash out….they are leaving everything they were going to buy in the checkout line and walking.

It is new. I just got the notice today. I believe that HD only offers a mil discount on certain holidays. With this new change to the Lowe’s program, I can almost guarantee HD will have the same exclusions.

How did you get the notice? I haven't seen anything yet.

HD does the universal 10%, but now you have to sign up on their app which creates a code you scan at checkout. They have also changed to annual limits. I never looked into exclusions, but I'm sure they're similar.

yep

What items are excluded from The Home Depot Military Discount?
  • The Home Depot Military Discount cannot be applied to select items, services and fees, including, but not limited to, some commodity products (including lumber, wire, building materials), value priced merchandise, appliances, tool rental fees, labor items, gift cards and services including freight and delivery.

View attachment 587883

It can't be used on lumber, plywood, electrical wire, appliances....wtf???

It'll be cheaper to buy my lumber and appliances locally (which I've been doing since I moved here last October). Lowes had shitty lumber anyway. It'll save me the 90 mile trip one way to shop at Lowe's and then find out, even though they said they had it in stock on the phone, they don't.
Thank you for the heads up sir! I did not realize this.

It is new. I just got the notice today. I believe that HD only offers a mil discount on certain holidays. With this new change to the Lowe’s program, I can almost guarantee HD will have the same exclusions.
I mostly go to Home Depot and I’ve used the discount there every single time on multiple things but never on a major appliance. Hopefully Home Depot doesn’t go full retard like Lowe’s.

HD does the universal 10%, but now you have to sign up on their app which creates a code you scan at checkout. They have also changed to annual limits. I never looked into exclusions, but I'm sure they're similar.

yep

• The Home Depot Military Discount cannot be applied to select items, services and fees, including, but not limited to, some commodity products (including lumber, wire, building materials), value priced merchandise, appliances, tool rental fees, labor items, gift cards and services including freight and delivery.
I signed up on the app, but haven't used it yet. Occasionally a cashier will tell me about it and explain they're transitioning to it, more often than not they don't even mention it (or even glance at the ID) and punch in the discount.

yep

I got the Lowe's thing in my email this morning...

Why even go to either of them anymore? Without the discount, plus gas used going to and from the store, it's most likely a wash to shop local.

I got the Lowe's thing in my email this morning...

Why even go to either of them anymore? Without the discount, plus gas used going to and from the store, it's most likely a wash to shop local.

Interesting. Haven't gotten it yet, although I see plenty of info about it online. Maybe it is a regional rollout. Who knows.

but yeah, I agree. Where I am at now, I can travel 30 mins to Lowes/HD or 10 minutes to Ashland Lumber.

I signed up on the app, but haven't used it yet. Occasionally a cashier will tell me about it and explain they're transitioning to it, more often than not they don't even mention it (or even glance at the ID) and punch in the discount.

It's kind of a pain in the ass, but using the self checkout once you are done scanning all your items, you'll see military discount on the screen. Punch that then scan the code in the app. Then hit pay and you'll see that the discount took.

It's kind of a pain in the ass, but using the self checkout once you are done scanning all your items, you'll see military discount on the screen. Punch that then scan the code in the app. Then hit pay and you'll see that the discount took.
They cap it using the app - I forget what it is, I want to say $300 in purchases a year, but I'm trying not to eat into that cap for as long as possible. I expect to spend more than $300 there this year.

So I meant to go to Lowes today to test this out, but ended up at HD. Doing some pressure treated 2x4 price research I noticed HD was selling ground contact rated stuff for the same price as Lowes non ground contact pressure treated.

Can confirm that there is no military discount on lumber at HD, but yes for the other stuff like screws and structural hardware I was buying. Any penny discount is generous IMO.

Cashiers are also under increasing pressure to force using the app's bar code, but they still have access to the override when seeing ID.

I’ve never not had the mil discount work on building materials there — or at least not that I’ve noticed. Have used it on major appliances, countertops, etc.

I’ve never not had the mil discount work on building materials there — or at least not that I’ve noticed. Have used it on major appliances, countertops, etc.
I had to buy a few things at the Lowe's in Springfield, MO yesterday. I bought a few plumbing odds and ends and I got the 10% discount on those. I had to suck it up and buy a 1/4 sheet of plywood. They stuck it to me...no 10% discount.

I was talking with the person at the self check out...she said the way they rolled this out really sucks. She told me a few vets at that store up and quit the day this started and she said this happening company wide...and this is after record breaking profits, she said.

Last edited:
...yes, wire, and major appliances. I'm going to be in the market for a grill soon. I wonder if that's included in the "no discount for you" list too?
Lowe's and Home Depot don't carry Yoder grills though.

Lowe's and Home Depot don't carry Yoder grills though.
yeah...2 large (minimum) o_O is more than I want to spend on a grill that all I'm going to cook on it is dogs, burgers, chicken and steaks. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom