For those who didn't know, SL Gun Shop in Mason, NH is now....

Thanks, I had noticed that they were closed, but hadn't noticed the new sign.

For those that didn't watch the video, there's an open house on the 6th as well!

Interesting. If any of you guys go, could you post reviews? I'm curious about the new ownership, but not curious enough yet to override previous negative experiences there.

Interesting. If any of you guys go, could you post reviews? I'm curious about the new ownership, but not curious enough yet to override previous negative experiences there.

Went in to check things out, ammo prices are still astronomical. 11 for 30 silver bear 5.45, over 50 cents a round for 5.56 and even "value" 223, 55 dollars for a 60 round sleeve of gp11 7.5x55 Swiss, 8-9 dollars for 12ga target loads. Didn't deal with anyone, so I can't speak to if their customer service has improved, but I don't see myself going back. If I hear they've come back to earth wrt their prices, I might look again, but it's not worth the trip for me right now.

Let me say, when your ammo prices are well above even gun show prices, something is wrong.

Last edited:
I doubt anything will change, possibly maybe the new owner will wake up when the market drags on the ground for awhile. It is the way it is because the people that shop there are usually too lazy to drive any further to get to the better shops.

-Mike

Went in to check things out, ammo prices are still astronomical. 11 for 30 silver bear 5.45, over 50 cents a round for 5.56 and even "value" 223, 55 dollars for a 60 round sleeve of gp11 7.5x55 Swiss, 8-9 dollars for 12ga target loads. Didn't deal with anyone, so I can't speak to if their customer service has improved, but I don't see myself going back. If I hear they've come back to earth wrt their prices, I might look again, but it's not worth the trip for me right now.

Let me say, when your ammo prices are well above even gun show prices, something is wrong.
Thanks. I think I've about given up even looking at ammo prices in LGS except Riley's and Shooters. Old Glory and the rest of them need to figure out that most people know how to shop on the internet these days.

Thanks. I think I've about given up even looking at ammo prices in LGS except Riley's and Shooters. Old Glory and the rest of them need to figure out that most people know how to shop on the internet these days.

Check out Collectibles/619DW in Merrimack, they had some reasonable prices IIRC on ammo when I was in there a couple of months ago.

I've never bought ammo there, as I agree the prices are pretty stupid. That being said, I have always found the staff helpful. It is also nice to be able to walk in and handle longarms off the rack without taking a number or waiting in line.

Yea I actually really like the shop. But the prices are crazy. Some of their used prices are so high it's cheaper to buy new. Iirc MA residents can buy pistols and they have a local ffl they work with to transfer to Ma, but I remember the fee being kinda high and saying I would have to pay MA sales tax. I do still stop by coming home from the county mile occasionally. They have lots of help so someone must buy there.

I really miss Manna distributing, which used to be up the road in New Ipswich. His prices weren't the best but he ALWAYS would negotiate with you. The message boards out front and the "Al-Queda target heads" were priceless. He also had a lot of oddball stuff in his shop you never saw anywhere else. That shop was a CDNN catalog on steroids. OK, I'll stop, I'm dating myself... (It's been at least like 5+ years since he closed)

-Mike

I doubt anything will change, possibly maybe the new owner will wake up when the market drags on the ground for awhile. It is the way it is because the people that shop there are usually too lazy to drive any further to get to the better shops.

-Mike

I might check them out now that they have a new owner. The last guy pissed me off, made me drive 45 mins to the middle of nowhere to get a price on a gun. Then offered me a $20 cash discount from the insane price. Which, had we discussed over the phone I would have taken him up on. But since he didn't and my closest bank would have been about an hour roundtrip away I told them to stuff it. Went on GB and bought the same pistol for $60 less (after transfer).

Good riddance to the old owner. Good luck to the new one.

I might check them out now that they have a new owner. The last guy pissed me off, made me drive 45 mins to the middle of nowhere to get a price on a gun. Then offered me a $20 cash discount from the insane price. Which, had we discussed over the phone I would have taken him up on. But since he didn't and my closest bank would have been about an hour roundtrip away I told them to stuff it. Went on GB and bought the same pistol for $60 less (after transfer).

Most shops do cash discounts, so I wouldn't fault them for that... but if I call up a gun shop and they won't give me a price over the phone, they're not getting my business.

-Mike

Most shops do cash discounts, so I wouldn't fault them for that... but if I call up a gun shop and they won't give me a price over the phone, they're not getting my business.

-Mike

That was my learning experience, haven't been to a shop since that wouldn't price over the phone. If they are that worried about competition price matching them they probably have something to hide.

How exactly does a store owner "make you drive 45 minutes"? Did the store owner make you leave your check book, cash and debit card at home too?

If you don't like that a business won't give you a price, why go? This isn't rocket science.

Who goes shopping without a debit card, check book or cash?

You sure did awesome saving $60 on gunbroker though

How exactly does a store owner "make you drive 45 minutes"? Did the store owner make you leave your check book, cash and debit card at home too?

If you don't like that a business won't give you a price, why go? This isn't rocket science.

Who goes shopping without a debit card, check book or cash?

You sure did awesome saving $60 on gunbroker though

I had a debit and credit card with me, said dealer was charging significantly above market price but offered a cash discount. Had I been given the cash discount price over the phone, I would have come cash in hand and only gotten screwed a bit. Driving there to get a price, finding out the price was ridiculous, then being offered a cash discount when it would take another hour+ to get cash annoyed the shit out of me.

So, as a result I decided to stop doing business with them. And people wonder why a lot of small gun shops can't make it, crap like this is why.

And I went in the first place because it was the only place in southern NH that had the pistol I wanted, I was trying to do business local. Instead I ordered it on GB, transferred at MFLR and had it home, cheaper easier and less hassle. That was the point of the story.

I had a debit and credit card with me, said dealer was charging significantly above market price but offered a cash discount. Had I been given the cash discount price over the phone, I would have come cash in hand and only gotten screwed a bit. Driving there to get a price, finding out the price was ridiculous, then being offered a cash discount when it would take another hour+ to get cash annoyed the shit out of me.

So, as a result I decided to stop doing business with them. And people wonder why a lot of small gun shops can't make it, crap like this is why.

And I went in the first place because it was the only place in southern NH that had the pistol I wanted, I was trying to do business local. Instead I ordered it on GB, transferred at MFLR and had it home, cheaper easier and less hassle. That was the point of the story.

Why not just go to the ATM? Why go in the 1st place if you didnt like not knowing the price. Seeing as how a shop was the only one in the area with a product you were looking for and only a $60 difference between gun broker hardly seems like highway robbery, especially considering your time investment and gas, you actually lost money.

But to each his own I guess

Your post is exactly whats wrong with the gun business / buyers

Why not just go to the ATM? Why go in the 1st place if you didnt like not knowing the price. Seeing as how a shop was the only one in the area with a product you were looking for and only a $60 difference between gun broker hardly seems like highway robbery, especially considering your time investment and gas, you actually lost money.

But to each his own I guess

Your post is exactly whats wrong with the gun business / buyers

Your right. As soon as they didn't give him a price over the phone he should have gone on Gun broker and not even bothered heading down. He was a dummy to try and support a local shop while expecting to pay a reasonable extra cost for a gun. Businesses tend to forget who their competition is. The reality is people can get most things cheaper online, the only thing lgs (and any other local stores)offer is customer service for the most part. I always love how people push push push to support your lgs but then they are given a pass for unreasonable high prices or poor customer service.

His is post is capitalism and reality. It works both ways, gun shops can charge what they want (in a panic or otherwise) but expect that when you unreasonably gouge or anger a customer they won't comeback.

I support the shops that give me a reason to support them.

ohh and $60 + transfer fee (20$ or so) on say....a $400 gun is 20%. That and it needed to be shipped and I'm betting the seller made some sort of profit. Of course if this is a $1,200 gun we are talking about something else and you are right...60$ isn't much.

Prices aside, if the ownership has changed but the staff is the same I think I'll skip OG. I get far better treatment elsewhere. Treatment that doesn't involve pointing an uncleared handgun in my direction while finger f***ing the trigger. To cite one example.

I don't understand people bad experiences with this shop. STATE LINE and blue northern are my go to shops. I don't go anywhere else.

Chris and Paul have always been fair and friendly with me. I also go out of the way to introduce myself, shake hands and generally be a nice guy when in the shop.

Anytime I have called and asked about prices or inventory, I always get an answer. Their prices are a little high, but not obscene and they will haggle if they know you are a buyer.

Yeah ammo is pricey but I don't think you are going to find too many LGS that can compete with ammo engine prices.

I guess if you are a regular and spend money in the shop your experience is going to differ from a random dude that walks in. Full disclosure: more than once I have walked in to buy targets and a can of gun scrubber and wound up dropping 1,500 bucks.
Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does the current owner of State Line still spout the nonsense that sales tax on gun transferred to a MA shop for delivery "must be paid" because it is "just like a car"?

Back
Top Bottom