For those who didn't know, SL Gun Shop in Mason, NH is now....

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll give them another try at some point once the new management dust settles. It has been years and you're right - there's new management and it certainly deserves a chance.

Wait, you bash SL in favor of Blue Northern? Thas probably the 1 shop in mass you couldn't pay me to set foot in! On two out of the three occasions I've bought there, special order pricing increased 5-10% from the original quoted price when prdering. I bought a SR9 there for $65 for than four seasons, and then was offered $215 on trade in 3 months later

What do you mean by that? You ordered something and when it came in it cost more than what they quoted you? That's pretty ghey, that sounds more like an Al in Amherst kind of trick. [laugh]

ETA: As far as the trade in values, seriously? I know of ZERO shops that will offer anything close to what something is worth... its part of not wanting to have lots of capital tied up in guns that don't move, and 50% of the guns on the market are crap that most people don't want. An SR9 is one of those guns nobody buys used because they're so cheap to buy new to begin with.

-Mike

Last edited:
What do you mean by that? You ordered something and when it came in it cost more than what they quoted you? That's pretty ghey, that sounds more like an Al in Amherst kind of trick. [laugh]

ETA: As far as the trade in values, seriously? I know of ZERO shops that will offer anything close to what something is worth... its part of not wanting to have lots of capital tied up in guns that don't move, and 50% of the guns on the market are crap that most people don't want. An SR9 is one of those guns nobody buys used because they're so cheap to buy new to begin with.

-Mike

In thinking about this, I'm guilty myself of acting like a child . Yes, prices changed after the special order items arrived. Yes, trade in price was lower than 4 other dealers.... but, when feeling though I was wronged I never once brought it to ownerships attention and attempted to resolve it like an adult. So, I've outed myself as another NES cInternet crybaby

I don't need anything to "work" for me, your irrelevant to me. If ID for certain items is required by ownership, that's there business. Shop elsewhere. Your not missed. If you feel as though you need to vilify a person because of what they feel they need to do to protect their business interests, do whatever works for you.

If you really care about this shop,you should stop alienating potential customers..the gun/ammo rape pricing of the past is coming to an end and every shop will need every customer they can get.

In thinking about this, I'm guilty myself of acting like a child . Yes, prices changed after the special order items arrived. Yes, trade in price was lower than 4 other dealers.... but, when feeling though I was wronged I never once brought it to ownerships attention and attempted to resolve it like an adult. So, I've outed myself as another NES cInternet crybaby

I've found since I became a business owner myself I am much better about confronting owners with problems. The worst thing in the world is to not know why a customer left unhappy. Usually when I explain to a business owner or manager why I am unhappy with the service I am not open to offers to make things better. My reasoning behind this is I do not want them to take my complaint as an attempt at getting something for nothing. I want them to take it as an area they can improve on to offer a better experience to future customers.

My issues with SL were before this, and as a result I just stewed on it and was pissed.

If you really care about this shop,you should stop alienating potential customers..the gun/ammo rape pricing of the past is coming to an end and every shop will need every customer they can get.

I don't speak for any shop, period, end of story. I never have. SL gunshop doesn't exist anymore, it was sold and the owner retired. This thread was about the purchase and opening of a new shop in the same location. I cannot speak to their new or changing policy, but from what I know the new owner is a more than capable business man with much experience.

My comments in the post you quoted were also specifically directed at only the person it was in response to.

Your underlying premise that the firearms industry is about to be turned on its heads couldn't be more correct. Many shops have benefit greatly from the past 6-7 years and many more have popped up thinking this current buying trend is maintainable. It's not.

Last edited:
My issues with SL were before this, and as a result I just stewed on it and was pissed.

Similarly , with the shop I mentioned I was new to the sport / hobby and didn't feel like I could approach ownership with an issue like this. In hindsight and after rereading my post, I'm sure the guys a the shop I mentioned where good guys and more than willing to at least discuss the situation. Shame on me, for not giving em the opportunity to rectify the situation before blasting them in the internet

Ultimately, most gun shop owners dont get rich in this business... at best you might be able to live comfortably. Most get into this becuase they have a passion for the sport / hobby and most are very much good people. Sometimes I guess that's easy to forget

Similarly , with the shop I mentioned I was new to the sport / hobby and didn't feel like I could approach ownership with an issue like this. In hindsight and after rereading my post, I'm sure the guys a the shop I mentioned where good guys and more than willing to at least discuss the situation. Shame on me, for not giving em the opportunity to rectify the situation before blasting them in the internet

Ultimately, most gun shop owners dont get rich in this business... at best you might be able to live comfortably. Most get into this becuase they have a passion for the sport / hobby and most are very much good people. Sometimes I guess that's easy to forget

Unfortunately having a passion for something does not necessarily make you able to run a business in it. Not all, but several of the gunshop owners I have met are completely shitty business men. They came into some money either through "protected class" loans or through an estate. Then decide "hey, I like guns, I'll own a gun shop! How hard could it be". They end up becoming an FFL for their buddies until they run out of money paying rent and go under.

Not saying this is Paul, but it is many of the small LGS around. When I think of a good business man I think of Jim at MFLR and whoever owns RIley's.

I pass this shop everyday on the way to work. I have yet to go in... From everything said so far... I'm still iffy...

I pass this shop everyday on the way to work. I have yet to go in... From everything said so far... I'm still iffy...
You should stop in to see for yourself. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. Worst case is you've only lost a few minutes of time if it's already on your way to/from work.

I went Saturday, I met the new owner, seemed nice also saw Paul,Chris and Dan.All and all enjoyed the time there.Over the years I have bought a ton of stuff there, as well as other places also. I have had a few small issues with them but when I brought it to Paul's attention it was always dealt with quickly and to my satisfaction

good luck to the new owner Dana

Last edited:

Dont let the herd make decisions for you...You have to remember some people here expect shop owners to cater to all their insecurities.I think a lot of it boils down to people not knowung what they want and going to the store and secretly wanting to be talked into something, anything,.as long as its a gun.

I have neverwent to buy a gun not knowing exactly what I want and how much I am willing to pay.

You should stop in to see for yourself. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. Worst case is you've only lost a few minutes of time if it's already on your way to/from work.
I'm always passing by before they are open or right during closing... I'll have to catch them on a weekend.

I hope for many that it was a learning experience, and they go somewhere else.

They won't. SL is a "love it or hate it" shop. When I run into people they either love the place or they hate it. I'm more in the "Doesn't go there anymore because everything is way overpriced" camp, I have heard some gunsmitthing hack job horror stories from there from friends, but not have anything like that happen to me directly.

Not to mention, the region isn't exactly awash in bigger gun shops. SL/OG will be around because the "too lazy to drive crowd" will keep it in business. A good location means a lot. It's the reason why 4 Seasons does WAY more business than Collectors, its the reason why The Gun Room was around for 10 years longer than it should have been, and the reason "The Rat"stays in business, as well as the Powderhorn, and Al on 101A, amongst other things.

-Mike

They won't. SL is a "love it or hate it" shop. When I run into people they either love the place or they hate it. I'm more in the "Doesn't go there anymore because everything is way overpriced" camp, I have heard some gunsmitthing hack job horror stories from there from friends, but not have anything like that happen to me directly.

Not to mention, the region isn't exactly awash in bigger gun shops. SL/OG will be around because the "too lazy to drive crowd" will keep it in business. A good location means a lot. It's the reason why 4 Seasons does WAY more business than Collectors, its the reason why The Gun Room was around for 10 years longer than it should have been, and the reason "The Rat"stays in business, as well as the Powderhorn, and Al on 101A, amongst other things.

-Mike

I don't care how good of a location Al has, I still can't believe that scum sucking piece of shit is still in business. Only rumor I have heard is he does a lot of LEO transactions... I just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom