• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For Your Consideration

Infinite Jester

Navy Veteran
Or more aptly titled- How I Got My Guns, Lost Them, and Got Them Back Again

Some of you might remember back in December, I had a post up entitled "Need Help Now". I had Derek take it down a few days after posting it. It recounted what happened to me while trying to take possession of some firearms I ordered online. In a nutshell, I ordered a rifle and a handgun online, they were shipped to my FFL in late December. I filled out the 4473, and was delayed. After 3 days, per federal law, the shop had the option to release the guns to me. They did, and I brought them home. I promptly took them both to the range and tested them out.

About 2 weeks goes by, and I'm enjoying my new purchases. One day at work, I get a frantic call from the FFL. "Hey man, it's [employee] from [LGS], I got a denial back on those guns. I need to get them back in the shop" Here's where the story gets good. Hang in there.

I contact a few attorneys and get mixed advice on what to do next. To keep the story short, after about a week, and some serious consideration, I decide to bring them back. I speak with the owner of the LGS, and he agrees to hold them free of charge till I work this out.

Step 1. I call the New Hampshire State Police gun line. After 4 consecutive days, I finally get a supervisor. Due to the privacy act, they can't tell me much. Just that it's something from Connecticut.

Step 2. I call a random CT State Police post, and ask if anything comes up. It does. A bench warrant from 2003 failure to appear on a moving violation. Hmmmm. Ok, well...

Step 3. I contact several attorneys licensed in CT, and get consult on how to proceed. Of the 4 I spoke with, the answer was always the same thing. The one thing I didn't want to hear...."You have to come down and turn yourself in"

Step 4. I spend a grip of cash, and bite the bullet, and hire an attorney. We set a date (this past Thursday) to do the deed.

Step 5. I book a night at the Omni in New Haven. My wife and I drive down Wednesday afternoon, check in, freshen up, and hit the town. We go out for a top notch steak dinner and some good high end bourbons. Hey, if I have to do this, why not do it in style?

5am Thursday I'm standing in Union Street station's lobby, in my best suit and tie, talking with a desk sergeant. You could tell by the way he just shook his head and chuckled, that he was really thinking "Oh, you poor bastard, this is gonna suck".

After about 15 min., a young officer who couldn't have been over 22 comes in, and tells me he's going to have to cuff me, but he'll do it in front, and loose. I hand my wife my phone and wallet, and follow the nice young officer. We head next door, and I'm handed off to the world of the Connecticut Judicial Marshalls at the lock up.

I spend 4 hours in a single cell, and at 9am, transport shows up. I am placed in leg irons and cuffs, and helped into the back of the transport truck. 10 min. later I'm in the basement of the courthouse. I'm placed in "Interview" with 5 other guys. They all speak with their public defender, and I just wait.

From there I'm taken to the holding pens. 3 pens and 4 cells. Pens are for us city guys. 3 to a pen. Cells are for county. State pen is in another room next door. I stay there from 10 am-3:30pm. before we're brought upstairs for our arraignment. As I walk in, my attorney rushes up, and whispers in my ear "I got them to drop it. They're going to dismiss it". I'm the second guy called, and as I stand in front of the judge, for a total of 30 seconds, all I want to do is get the hell out of this place. My attorney states that I haven't even had a speeding ticket in the last 13 years, and that we should dismiss. The judge agrees, and I sent back downstairs.

Going back down was the hardest. I waited an hour till the clerk filed the paperwork, and when the marshall came to get me I was more than ready to go. They took off the leg irons, and sent me into an office to sign for my wedding ring, Masonic ring, belt, tie and shoelaces. I walked through the opposite door and was FREE!

Conclusion- I walked into that LGS tonight at 5pm. I filled out a 4473, got an proceed after the longest 15 minutes ever, and was given my 2 firearms back.

Great long story snipped

Please, for the love of all that is holy, remember this story on your next renewal application as you have now appeared in a court as a criminal defendant!

I'm glad it was a relatively easy and swift process to get it cleared up, it shouldn't be that hard when you're trying to do the right thing.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, remember this story on your next renewal application as you have now appeared in a court as a criminal defendant! I'm glad it was a relatively easy and swift process to get it cleared up, it shouldn't be that hard when you're trying to do the right thing.

Or cost as damn much.

Or more aptly titled- How I Got My Guns, Lost Them, and Got Them Back Again

Some of you might remember back in December, I had a post up entitled "Need Help Now". I had Derek take it down a few days after posting it. It recounted what happened to me while trying to take possession of some firearms I ordered online. In a nutshell, I ordered a rifle and a handgun online, they were shipped to my FFL in late December. I filled out the 4473, and was delayed. After 3 days, per federal law, the shop had the option to release the guns to me. They did, and I brought them home. I promptly took them both to the range and tested them out.

About 2 weeks goes by, and I'm enjoying my new purchases. One day at work, I get a frantic call from the FFL. "Hey man, it's [employee] from [LGS], I got a denial back on those guns. I need to get them back in the shop" Here's where the story gets good. Hang in there.

I contact a few attorneys and get mixed advice on what to do next. To keep the story short, after about a week, and some serious consideration, I decide to bring them back. I speak with the owner of the LGS, and he agrees to hold them free of charge till I work this out.

Step 1. I call the New Hampshire State Police gun line. After 4 consecutive days, I finally get a supervisor. Due to the privacy act, they can't tell me much. Just that it's something from Connecticut.

Step 2. I call a random CT State Police post, and ask if anything comes up. It does. A bench warrant from 2003 failure to appear on a moving violation. Hmmmm. Ok, well...

Step 3. I contact several attorneys licensed in CT, and get consult on how to proceed. Of the 4 I spoke with, the answer was always the same thing. The one thing I didn't want to hear...."You have to come down and turn yourself in"

Step 4. I spend a grip of cash, and bite the bullet, and hire an attorney. We set a date (this past Thursday) to do the deed.

Step 5. I book a night at the Omni in New Haven. My wife and I drive down Wednesday afternoon, check in, freshen up, and hit the town. We go out for a top notch steak dinner and some good high end bourbons. Hey, if I have to do this, why not do it in style?

5am Thursday I'm standing in Union Street station's lobby, in my best suit and tie, talking with a desk sergeant. You could tell by the way he just shook his head and chuckled, that he was really thinking "Oh, you poor bastard, this is gonna suck".

After about 15 min., a young officer who couldn't have been over 22 comes in, and tells me he's going to have to cuff me, but he'll do it in front, and loose. I hand my wife my phone and wallet, and follow the nice young officer. We head next door, and I'm handed off to the world of the Connecticut Judicial Marshalls at the lock up.

I spend 4 hours in a single cell, and at 9am, transport shows up. I am placed in leg irons and cuffs, and helped into the back of the transport truck. 10 min. later I'm in the basement of the courthouse. I'm placed in "Interview" with 5 other guys. They all speak with their public defender, and I just wait.

From there I'm taken to the holding pens. 3 pens and 4 cells. Pens are for us city guys. 3 to a pen. Cells are for county. State pen is in another room next door. I stay there from 10 am-3:30pm. before we're brought upstairs for our arraignment. As I walk in, my attorney rushes up, and whispers in my ear "I got them to drop it. They're going to dismiss it". I'm the second guy called, and as I stand in front of the judge, for a total of 30 seconds, all I want to do is get the hell out of this place. My attorney states that I haven't even had a speeding ticket in the last 13 years, and that we should dismiss. The judge agrees, and I sent back downstairs.

Going back down was the hardest. I waited an hour till the clerk filed the paperwork, and when the marshall came to get me I was more than ready to go. They took off the leg irons, and sent me into an office to sign for my wedding ring, Masonic ring, belt, tie and shoelaces. I walked through the opposite door and was FREE!

Conclusion- I walked into that LGS tonight at 5pm. I filled out a 4473, got an proceed after the longest 15 minutes ever, and was given my 2 firearms back.

Talk about having the patience of a saint!!! Congrats. I think you need to tell this story over and over again to anyone who'll listen, in particular to skeptics who think gun laws aren't aimed at the good guys!

Talk about having the patience of a saint!!! Congrats. I think you need to tell this story over and over again to anyone who'll listen, in particular to skeptics who think gun laws aren't aimed at the good guys!

This hasn't come up in 13 years and multiple NICS checks. Thanks "enhanced background checks".

tell us about the original charge that you failed to appear on.... not the details, just the initial ticket/charge that required you to appear

wish I knew you were down here, I would have joined you for a good steak and bourbons

[video=youtube_share;5kHiuxn0FhI]http://youtu.be/5kHiuxn0FhI[/video]

Save whatever paperwork you can get now showing the dismissal - you never know when you will need it, and it will never be easier to get court certified copies than now.

Impressive story.

Despite being in the pen, it must have been a relief the whole time knowing it was over a ticket and not something worse.

Nonetheless it must have felt great to walk out a free man!

Oh, your wife is a keeper!

A 2003 failure to appear on a moving violation? I'm sure you were going at least 100mph in your tricked out Honda.
I am so relieved the system refused to release a firearm to such a dangerous offender.
I am sleeping a lot better tonight.

Man... i know the feeling.

That is completely ****ed up.

What a ****ing hassle. Glad you made out okay. If you were a gangbanger, you would have been bailed out and freed in less than an hour. [laugh]

Sounds like the OP's s "white privilege" card (assuming OP is white), wasn't acceptable that day.

This hasn't come up in 13 years and multiple NICS checks. Thanks "enhanced background checks".

It's more than just the enhanced background checks that nabbed you... there were years/decades of old offenses, long forgotten skeletons
in the closet (no matter how trivial), that were finally digitized and entered into the system coming back to haunt people.

I'm surprised that it didn't first appear, or pose a problem when you went to renew your DL.

damn.. what a crazy story..

OP's story is beyond "crazy"... it's an immensely ****ed up situation that he/she should never have gone through to begin with over a simple moving violation.

I'm not sure I quite understand how a failure to appear on a moving violation makes you a PP. Is it punishable in the state of CT as a misdafelony by >2 yrs in jail?

4473 11d [FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Are you a fugitive from justice?[/FONT]

I had a very similar experience a few years back.

It came from a Probation violation 17 years earlier. This was for a traffic stop that I was arrested for.
I went to court and was put on probation with early termination if I paid court costs, got a Florida
Drivers license, and something else. All those things were taken care of before the day in court.
I went to the Probation office and showed them everything so the probation could be terminated.
Well, the person never entered the termination.

I went thru a DOD Background Security check to work on a Navy base in the Bahamas, Had it reissued
when I moved up here when Raytheon hired me. I have purchased three rifles and a pistol while here in
NH. When I went to purchase a Saiga 12 Shotgun, I got the denial. An inquiry to the FBI was no help.

I got a letter saying I was a Fugitive from Justice. What came about was they were updating their system
or the sniveling servant retired and someone found my file and entered it into the database. Since there
was no record of me showing up to see the probation officer, the probation violation came about.

All in all it took me the better part of a year to clear this all up. I had to write a letter to the judge down
there explaining everything. It turns out, it was the same Judge I was in front of 17 years earlier!

I finally got my Saiga.

Malodave

Well if you ever want to visit the "great" state of CT under better terms I would be glad to buy you a cigar and share a whiskey or beer - there is no excuse for this Sh€th@loe I live in.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom