• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Foraging walk 7/24/21

mousegunguy

NES Member
Join me for a foragers walk at Farmer Matt’s in New Braintree ma. on sat july 24 at 10am.
We’ll have hundred of acres of diverse habitats to wander and explore.
I expect to find 40-50+ wild edible plants. We’ll also discuss traditional medicinal plants and plants that provide fresh drinking water.
Bring a field guide and comfy shoes. The walk should go about 11/2 hours.
You can pre register at Farmer Matt™

Last edited:
something i've always wanted to know of...if only to satisfy my own curiosity than out of necessity.

something i've always wanted to know of...if only to satisfy my own curiosity than out of necessity.
Many are genuinely yummy and I’ve incorporated those seasonally into our diet.
Some are good to know foods for survival situations but not something you’d wanna eat every day. But eating stuff you don’t like is way better than not eating anything.
Edible does not always mean delicious.

How many types of edible shrooms were you able to find ?
I completely missed this thread earlier,,,
I find this very interesting
I don’t remember seeing any. I personally don’t like the texture of most shrooms so they're not something I look for.
I didn’t count plants but as a guess we probably found 50ish.

Thanks, @mousegunguy. That was excellent.

The wife and I are feeling a bit more confident now to explore deeper and, really, was surprised at the number of plants that we see on a daily basis which can be used for a variety of purposes. How to create a simple waterproofing agent, how about a clotting agent, where to find fresh water, edible / not edible, some rules of thumb. Good stuff. Thank you!

Thanks, @mousegunguy. That was excellent.

The wife and I are feeling a bit more confident now to explore deeper and, really, was surprised at the number of plants that we see on a daily basis which can be used for a variety of purposes. How to create a simple waterproofing agent, how about a clotting agent, where to find fresh water, edible / not edible, some rules of thumb. Good stuff. Thank you!
I’m glad you found value in the walk Thanks for making the trip out

So sad I totally missed this thread but it wasn’t a total loss as I was doing my own foraging up near Canada.

Recent edibles I really like and have loads of on my plot in Central Ma:

Swamp Dewberry
Tea Berry
Squaw Berry
Mountain Woods Sorel
Spice Bush
Birch twigs

Back
Top Bottom