• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forced surrender of bump stocks in MA EOPSS letter, per GOAL

So they're actually wasting money on a mailer to thousands of gun owners, to discuss a device being banned which might be owned by a couple hundred people in this state, at best? (that might be pushing it, even)

-Mike

Wouldn't turning in bump stocks mean all pre 7/20 ARs need to be turned in too because they were illegal the whole time?

What is next? Banning pockets and belt loops? Banning fingers?
One need not have a bump stock to achieve the same rate of fire. YouTube is full of videos on this.
Even the trailer for Sicario 2 shows a rapid fire scene with a pistol using just a finger.

I mentioned in another thread we buy rubber bands in bulk and turn those into the police, but on second thought we send them directly to Healy.

Don't put it past the current AG to send out information demands to all the places that sell bump stocks inside the state, and across the rest of the country demanding sales records for items shipped into MA since the items started selling. Also don't put it past them to make the demands in such a way that those stores/vendors will be pressured into providing the information in order to avoid legal actions (even if illegal).
Yep. There is no question stores/vendors that want to continue to do business in MA would give up their customers, but customers could have then sold them out of state privately, for which there would be no record. I suppose the state could threaten the suitability of any LTC holder who cannot produce the name of the buyer, regardless of state of residence, for confirmation.
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. Just waiting to have the 'spare' funds available to order/purchase one.
They're fun for about five minutes. The value of a bump stock or trigger crank is in the potential for their value to increase.

Where are these purchases registered? Oh thats right they are not. So how do they propose to enforce this? Drive to every gun owners house for an impromptu search? Where are the NRA, GOAL, GOA, NAGR and COMM2A Lawsuits?

I thought it was ok to possess with MG license? Did I misread that a while ago?
Source:
Section 121

SECTION 12. Section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by inserting after the word “gun”, in line 100, the following words:- ; provided, however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks.

I didn't see a "gun" statement on line 100, but there are only a few places to put this statement, the best of which I've added to the original wording. This appeared as line 70something when I looked, but the website might be squashed or stretched depending on font size, display area, and other factors:

''Machine gun'', a weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged by one continuous activation of the trigger, including a submachine gun. ; provided, however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks.

SECTION 13. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by inserting after the definition of “Assault weapon” the following definition: “Bump stock”, any device for a semiautomatic firearm that increases the rate of fire achievable with such firearm by using energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.

SECTION 14. Said section 121 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by inserting after the definition of “Shotgun” the following definition: “Trigger crank”, any device to be attached to a semiautomatic firearm that repeatedly activates the trigger of the firearm through the use of a lever or other part that is turned in a circular motion; provided, however, that “trigger crank” shall not include any firearm initially designed and manufactured to fire through the use of a crank or lever.

So, it appears MA reclassified the bump stock as a machine gun, however, they also tag a bump stock on in part of the AWB. So, it looks like a 1993 or prior receiver with a bump stock can be possessed with a MG license, but not a post 1993 receiver.

I'm gonna visit my PD with a box full of shoe laces and rubber bands....I suggest everyone on this forum do the same. Demand a receipt in writing too....

cut your address out of letter, send back with big f*** YOU plastered across letter.. or leave your address.. whatever..
Good idea, there's know way they could know who's prints those are. Think that's overboard or nuts, you haven't lived in this vindictive not enough ways to waste money state too long.

Would the excuse "someone planted it" work? If not, there's a stock with Mora's name on it. Open a window at your own risk.

I don't have any bump stocks, but who would bring them to a police station? It could easily be hidden' and with no record of purchase they would not know who to search.....

Does 'From my Cold Dead Hands' sound familiar to anyone?

How do the know who has them? How do they know you still do?

This is a trial run like DSmith said above, if they get these things turned in by the boat load with no legal push back, you can bet the 1998 on AW letter is coming.

Full Disclosure:
No I don't own one - I think the idea is silly. However, a good chunk of those inside 495 think guns are silly; therefore I support everything 2A.

Anyone with a 3D printer want to print off a gross or two without springs and dump them on Moara's lawn?

This is some grade A unconstitutional bullshit right here.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

No, of course they don't know who has them and they don't need to waste time or money trying to track down purchase records. All they need to do is pass the law and wait for it to be broken. If you get pulled over with a bumpstock in your trunk, you get pinched. If they come to your house for a fire and find a bumpstock you get pinched. Some cop doing a "wellness" check during an emergency sees your bumpstock, you get pinched. If you get "Swatted" as a practical joke by some punk kid and they find your bumpstock, you get pinched. And 500 other scenarios I could dream up. The more BS laws they pass the more criminals in waiting there are, and that's the goal in MA. It only takes 1 OOPS to become a PP. My advice is, don't risk it, get some friends in NH or at the very least a storage unit.

What about permanently modifying one so that it no longer increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of such weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger? Still a machinegun?

Back
Top Bottom