• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forced surrender of bump stocks in MA EOPSS letter, per GOAL

But the reality is it's only somewhere between 2 to 3 % of the gun owners in MA are helping G. O. A. L. and its just a shame. I have no explanation as to why this is the case, there are many here sharper than me that could explain better.

I think one thing that could be done relatively cheaply is for every gun shop to include an informational flyer for NRA/GOAL/Comm2a to include in every purchase... The same way they have to put in those flyers about mental health and storage requirements.. (I know, that's a guv req.) Maybe even have it printed on the receipt or bill of sale..

I think my BFSC teacher mentioned GOAL, but I found out about Comm2A here on NES... It's possible that the new gun owner has no idea of these 2 organizations, or probably forgot about them, unless they go looking for them.

It's a tough comparison to make. Everyone gets old and not everyone evolves to be a gun owner. And even within gun owners there are various fudd factions within it. And I've been getting monthly mailings to join AARP for years and I'm not even 40. Their daily advertising and mailings budget probably exceeds all independent State 2A annual budgets.

Not sure what you mean but just as older folks realize that there is strength in numbers gun owners should also intuitively understand the same concept. It takes numbers and a lot of cash to dictate any policy changes. Unorganized and un-united gun owners have zero strength and zero power to alter the course of anything. If gun owners can finally get their collective heads around this simple concept then the rolls of G. O. A. L. should grow exponentially. And from that grows a true united voice.

It ain’t actually any more complicated than that.

I believe Bill Belichick has a sign in the Patriots Locker room stating the strength of the wolf is not singular, the strength is when he runs with the pack. Or something like that.

We are so far past the point in MA where the 600,000 to 700,000 gun owners in MA need to start adding to the rolls of G.O.A.L. and assist the 20,000 there now who are holding tight at the Alamo called the State of Massachusetts.

We should all.be ambassadors really. Even just when making small talk at the club, bring it up out of the blue. Have a quick 1 minute pitch practiced. I've been surprised that guys at the club haven't heard of the CMP or NES. You're in kind of your own bubble and you just assume everyone knows where to go for cheap garands or 10 page threads about lights in a tree. Make it a point to bring up goal and comm2a and goa and 2af and the nra...they all do their part.

No, of course they don't know who has them and they don't need to waste time or money trying to track down purchase records. All they need to do is pass the law and wait for it to be broken. If you get pulled over with a bumpstock in your trunk, you get pinched. If they come to your house for a fire and find a bumpstock you get pinched. Some cop doing a "wellness" check during an emergency sees your bumpstock, you get pinched. If you get "Swatted" as a practical joke by some punk kid and they find your bumpstock, you get pinched. And 500 other scenarios I could dream up. The more BS laws they pass the more criminals in waiting there are, and that's the goal in MA. It only takes 1 OOPS to become a PP. My advice is, don't risk it, get some friends in NH or at the very least a storage unit.

Youre giving entirely too much credit to the local PD.

Most of them wouldnt know what a bumpstock was if it was still in the packaging, nevermind on a rifle.

If more than 20 get turned in over this im guessing, then im the pope.

Here it is, folks. As of yet not updated on the Ch140 S.121, but as currently published:

Session Law
Got it. Based on Section 21 of the bill here's how I think Paragraph (o) of section 131 of chapter 140 will read:
(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:
(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;
(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license.
Clauses (i) and (ii) of this paragraph shall not apply to bump stocks and trigger cranks.
Rather poorly worded, as are most MA laws. I can see how multiple interpretations are possible; one being that a license will not be issued for purposes of possession of bumps stocks or trigger cranks, and the second being that bump stocks and trigger cranks are not covered by machine gun licenses at all. The super-scummy part is that I remember the first interpretation being the one promulgated when the bill came out of committee, and now that it's law it's clear the second interpretation was what was meant and is what the EOPSS and other are operating on.

I think one reason for this is not being grandfathered. Since it is not serialized or dated and registered there would be no way to know if you bought it before or after the law went into effect. Easier for them to make possession a crime regardless of when you obtained it.

Got it. Based on Section 21 of the bill here's how I think Paragraph (o) of section 131 of chapter 140 will read: Rather poorly worded, as are most MA laws. I can see how multiple interpretations are possible; one being that a license will not be issued for purposes of possession of bumps stocks or trigger cranks, and the second being that bump stocks and trigger cranks are not covered by machine gun licenses at all. The super-scummy part is that I remember the first interpretation being the one promulgated when the bill came out of committee, and now that it's law it's clear the second interpretation was what was meant and is what the EOPSS and other are operating on.

(i) and (ii) are subordinate to (o) which is about issuing of a license, not possession. While they can try for the interpretation that possession is banned and the MA marsupial courts may very well support that interpretation, that is not the meaning as written. This is the Healy approach to interpreting the law...

I think one thing that could be done relatively cheaply is for every gun shop to include an informational flyer for NRA/GOAL/Comm2a to include in every purchase... The same way they have to put in those flyers about mental health and storage requirements.. (I know, that's a guv req.) Maybe even have it printed on the receipt or bill of sale..

I think my BFSC teacher mentioned GOAL, but I found out about Comm2A here on NES... It's possible that the new gun owner has no idea of these 2 organizations, or probably forgot about them, unless they go looking for them.

You raise a good point. When I teach any class I advise membership in Comm2A and GOAL to all my students. Comm2A supplied me with brochures (which are currently out of print, but I still have some stock) which I give every student . . . so they know how to donate/join. My classroom (MF&G) has NRA membership material on the table that they can pick up (I don't pitch NRA for various reasons) on their own. There are no GOAL membership applications at the club and I don't really have anything to do with GOAL anymore (life member but was told by a few BOD/officers that my help wasn't needed), so when the student leaves the classroom they won't even remember that GOAL exists.

Only issue is, while I believe that we are right and nothing prevents someone who already has a MG license from possessing one, the courts do not always agree with laws as written and will sometimes just take the word of the state that the law means what the state says due to the court's own bias. In this case if you lose in court, you would be potentially subject to a machine gun without a license conviction with a possible sentence of "Life or any term of years" which is a steep price for challenging the law.

Are any of us terminally ill with noting in particular to lose? As cold as that may sound, the opposition would use that tactic.

Although we can't know the addresses of the gun owners in MA it's utterly trivial to download the addresses of all FFL's in MA.

A mailing to all of them including a sample flyer that encourages buyers to learn about / join GOAL / COMM2A might be on the pricey side but certainly not million$...

Or at LEAST encouraging buyers to become aware of the hostile environment our legislators created.

My guess would be there will be 0 real compliance.. and maybe a story on the news about some fruitcake smashing his rifle and stock because they are "icky"

Can a bumpstock be made legal by being rendered inoperable (as a bumpstock)? Can I fill one with epoxy so it doesn't move and hang it above my mantle like an old blunderbuss, as a tribute to a time gone by?

Although we can't know the addresses of the gun owners in MA it's utterly trivial to download the addresses of all FFL's in MA.

A mailing to all of them including a sample flyer that encourages buyers to learn about / join GOAL / COMM2A might be on the pricey side but certainly not million$...

Or at LEAST encouraging buyers to become aware of the hostile environment our legislators created.

Like any organization, if GOAL wants to increase membership, they need to get the word out there..

It's likely that most of the LGSs are GOAL members or at least aware.. GOAL should be able to provide membership flyers or applications.. Gun store staff should push those memberships when they close out a sale.. "thank you for your purchase.. you should consider joining GOAL and Comm2A to support your rights in MA. Here's some info (pointing to membership apps)..." Even if they only had 20-30 per store..

Would really cost nothing to add the GOAL website to the top or bottom of a register receipt.. "Join GOAL @ www.GOAL.org"

This shows the level of "control" inflicted upon and accepted by subjects.

Every member of the legislature and the AG should be questioning and thankful for the breathing of their next breath everywhere they go.

Anyone who abides by this dictate is not a free man.

Death should be the punishment dealt to tyrants!

I believe Bill Belichick has a sign in the Patriots Locker room stating the strength of the wolf is not singular, the strength is when he runs with the pack. Or something like that.

We are so far past the point in MA where the 600,000 to 700,000 gun owners in MA need to start adding to the rolls of G.O.A.L. and assist the 20,000 there now who are holding tight at the Alamo called the State of Massachusetts.

The problem is that MA owners, for the most part, are divided into about 100 different cliques that pretty much hate each other. The bullseye guys hate the action shooters, the shotgunners hate the rifle shooters, etc. Then there's the "NRA doesn't help me personally" crowd, the "GOAL sucks because they don't kiss my ass" crowd, the "Comm2A lost one case so F them" crowd, etc, etc. etc.

Lots of inflated egos, not a lot of doing much to actually help. (And god forbid you do actually try to do something to help - look at how guys like Jim Wallace get dragged through shit on a regular basis, and by the very people who he's been trying to help for 20-something years.) I think in a lot of cases MA gun owners would rather bathe in their righteous indignation than actually do something positive to change anything. I know I'm getting pretty sick of it, it's hard to stay motivated when half the people "on your side" would just was well see you fail so they have something to whine about on social media.

The problem is that MA owners, for the most part, are divided into about 100 different cliques that pretty much hate each other. The bullseye guys hate the action shooters, the shotgunners hate the rifle shooters, etc. Then there's the "NRA doesn't help me personally" crowd, the "GOAL sucks because they don't kiss my ass" crowd, the "Comm2A lost one case so F them" crowd, etc, etc. etc.

Lots of inflated egos, not a lot of doing much to actually help. (And god forbid you do actually try to do something to help - look at how guys like Jim Wallace get dragged through shit on a regular basis, and by the very people who he's been trying to help for 20-something years.) I think in a lot of cases MA gun owners would rather bathe in their righteous indignation than actually do something positive to change anything. I know I'm getting pretty sick of it, it's hard to stay motivated when half the people "on your side" would just was well see you fail so they have something to whine about on social media.

Spot on...

Pretty much the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

No, the problem with MA. gun owners is they are all scared shitless of being in conflict with their chief of police who's ass they lick for a "permit" to engage in a natural right.

The most positive thing any MA gun owner could do is tell their police chief, theirAG and their legislature to go to fvcking hell with their laws.

If one of you creative folks could create a one page informational flyer for GOAL and Comm2A (info for one on the top half, and one on the bottom?) I will gladly hand one out with every sale/transfer.
Too notch idea. Wondering if shops would also consider a “tip jar” where the contents are sent to goal/comm2a? How much do $1 and loose change donations add up to in reality?

No, the problem with MA. gun owners is they are all scared shitless of being in conflict with their chief of police who's ass they lick for a "permit" to engage in a natural right.

The most positive thing any MA gun owner could do is tell their police chief, theirAG and their legislature to go to fvcking hell with their laws.

Post the video when you do. Maybe you'll inspire millions.

Back
Top Bottom