• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forced surrender of bump stocks in MA EOPSS letter, per GOAL

I think one thing that could be done relatively cheaply is for every gun shop to include an informational flyer for NRA/GOAL/Comm2a to include in every purchase... The same way they have to put in those flyers about mental health and storage requirements.. (I know, that's a guv req.) Maybe even have it printed on the receipt or bill of sale..

I think my BFSC teacher mentioned GOAL, but I found out about Comm2A here on NES... It's possible that the new gun owner has no idea of these 2 organizations, or probably forgot about them, unless they go looking for them.
THIS! Why is the state wasting my tax dollars going after people that legally purchased an item and never committed a crime when there are TONS of real criminals in our cities to turn their ire on?
The answer is votes.

If one of you creative folks could create a one page informational flyer for GOAL and Comm2A (info for one on the top half, and one on the bottom?) I will gladly hand one out with every sale/transfer.

I quickly made something by grabbing stuff off their websites... nothing fancy.. but at least gets the info out to new or existing gun owners

Attachments

• goal-comm2a.pdf
    257.4 KB · Views: 68
No, the problem with MA. gun owners is they are all scared shitless of being in conflict with their chief of police who's ass they lick for a "permit" to engage in a natural right.

The most positive thing any MA gun owner could do is tell their police chief, theirAG and their legislature to go to fvcking hell with their laws.
You first.

Jason Flare said

While making it a felony to possess.

They aren't really making this optional.

"Because the law does not allow for transfer or sale of these prohibited items, if you currently possess a bump stock or trigger crank within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you should contact your local police department or the Massachusetts State Police to get details about how to transfer custody of the prohibited item to the police for destruction. Retention of such a prohibited item beyond the 90 day grace period will expose the owner to criminal prosecution."

I think this is just a low risk fishing operation. They send a scary letter to the people, some turn their stuff in and others don’t. After that nobody gets hunted down, they just tack on more felony charges if you’re caught. Hopefully very few turn their lawfully owned property in to the police.

Also wondering if this could be moved back to general discussion where more will probably see it - it’s an important issue.

Although we can't know the addresses of the gun owners in MA it's utterly trivial to download the addresses of all FFL's in MA.

A mailing to all of them including a sample flyer that encourages buyers to learn about / join GOAL / COMM2A might be on the pricey side but certainly not million$...

Or at LEAST encouraging buyers to become aware of the hostile environment our legislators created.

If we could just get their email address. Most of the guys I know would be clueless of what is going on if I didn't let them know.

If they get away with this you can bet standard cap mags are next.

Bob

Where are these purchases registered? Oh thats right they are not. So how do they propose to enforce this? Drive to every gun owners house for an impromptu search? Where are the NRA, GOAL, GOA, NAGR and COMM2A Lawsuits?

No, no. They set up tiny remote video cameras at every gun range in the state, and just wait for someone with a bumpstock to incriminate him/herself.

Sheesh. They're not even waiting until the traditional Massachusetts Seizure Day of April 19th...

1fe9af13.jpg

WOW i haven't been on this forum in so long. The whole forum layout and inbox is different and is throwing me off. On top of being greeted with this news about bump stocks illegal to possess in MA. This is too much. I feel the pain for you MA residents. So glad i moved to NH 2 years ago. I encourage others to do the same. The state of MA is relentless it seems. Sometimes abandoning ship its the only recourse. Sorry but GOAL is great and all but until the NRA starts making MA an effort and challenging the MA Attorney General. Nothing will be gained.

Can a bumpstock be made legal by being rendered inoperable (as a bumpstock)? Can I fill one with epoxy so it doesn't move and hang it above my mantle like an old blunderbuss, as a tribute to a time gone by?

You'd have to look at how they define bump stock, but if it's not springing, its not doing its job, and probably legal.

No, the problem with MA. gun owners is they are all scared shitless of being in conflict with their chief of police who's ass they lick for a "permit" to engage in a natural right.

The most positive thing any MA gun owner could do is tell their police chief, theirAG and their legislature to go to fvcking hell with their laws.

And then they don't own their guns anymore making the whole argument moot. In MA you're not allowed to be civilly disobedient as a firearms owner.

I generally agree - after 7/20 a lot of MA gun owners pretty much lost their shit and stopped caring.

That said, it is worth noting that Healyban really isn't actual law- and flagrantly violating something that isn't based on a real law is a lot less risky than something that's "struck out in bold" in MGL.

-Mike

When you go to bed and wake up a felon....the rest is history. F*ck it.

I guess I don't know how to quote on the new format, but anyway as horizontalhunter said Preban mags will be next

hit "+quote" on the bottom right of the post you want to quote, then "insert quotes" on the bottom left of the reply box at the bottom of the page, then type your reply as usual.

hit "+quote" on the bottom right of the post you want to quote, then "insert quotes" on the bottom left of the reply box at the bottom of the page, then type your reply as usual.

Or just click "reply" and have at it. The "+quote" thing is really only useful when quoting multiple posts.

If we could just get their email address. Most of the guys I know would be clueless of what is going on if I didn't let them know.

If they get away with this you can bet standard cap mags are next.

Bob
Very valid point.

The question is "what is the risk of filing?". If we (ie, Comm2a) file and lose GOAL will never again be able to raise the "confiscation" argument when public enemy #1 (Linsky), Chang-Diaz or Creem (tied for p.e. #2) introduce a "turn them all in" magazine ban. Leave it alone, and our side still has a credible argument on this point.

This should be a straight property rights issues, but courts have ruled against what the law clearly dictates on numerous occasions, particularly in the First circuit, based on the "but its guns" doctrine.

There is also the question of "would we be better off fighting this in court with something less fringe?", rather than bump stocks which every D knows are owned only by those who fantasize of setting a new mass killing record.

This has happened before, but nobody noticed. When MA outlawed "sawed off shotguns" (but still allowing made as short barrel shotgun AOW's), anyone with such an item had to either hope the law was anever enforced against them or get rid of it. The EOPS appears to be taking it one step further by not admitting that there appears to be no prohibition on traveling out of state with said item during the grace period and selling or transferring it not in MA. Yes, the law sometimes prohibits acts outside of the jurisdiction (just ask those guys who got convicted for procuring underage sex in Thailand in a US federal court), but MA has not yet managed to pull that one off.

Last edited:
From the Massachusetts Constitution:

Article XXIV.
Laws made to punish for actions done before the existence of such laws, and which have not been declared crimes by preceding laws, are unjust, oppressive, and inconsistent with the fundamental principles of a free government.

Massachusetts Constitution

So if an action was done ( purchase of bumpstock, etc) before a law was written are unjust and oppressive and inconsistant with the fundamentals of a free government?

as much as I wanted a fight against this bullshit, the biggest impact that we can do is an effort to unite first. Regroup, get membership up. 20k GOAL members is not a fighting force, it's a fringe minority that will be abused at every turn. If we can get this number to triple, then we are talking about serious force. Double it again and we can compete on par with MA biggest unions.

I know that there is some presence from Republican party active people. What does it say about GOP that two and only states that outlawed bumpstocks are ruled by Rinos. Crispy Christie of NJ and Crying Faker of MA.

Back
Top Bottom