Ford Mechanics?

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Any one here work for Ford as a mechanic? I’d like to hear what you think a repair on a long block replacement for a 2017 edge se is going to cost me out of warranty.
Thanks

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
What motor?
2017 your most likely going used? I dont know the over lap of production years.
3.5 will be the cheapest
2.0 runs about double and the 2.7 gets even more.
Thats just for a used motor with decent miles.

We us Jasper Engines for new motors when we do a motor.
We dont do a lot of them and we do cherry pick the easy ones.

What happened?

Last edited:

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What motor?
2017 your most likely going used? I dont know the over lap of production years.
3.5 will be the cheapest
2.0 runs about double and the 2.7 gets even more.
Thats just for a used motor with decent miles.

We us Jasper Engines for new motors when we do a motor.
We dont do a lot of them and we do cherry pick the easy ones.

What happened?
2.0L Ecoboost
Threw a P0302 code so I swapped out the coil and all the spark plugs. Then I started hearing liquid noises and my engine coolant reservoir was practically empty.
Then I saw the TSB 19-2208 which describes the problem too well and I’m only at 48500 miles in less than 1.5 years of owning it from 4K

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I have not seen any of those failures ? Are you sure you just dont have a coolant leak ?
Thing now is do you take a chance with used motor that could develope same problem or go new?

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have not seen any of those failures ? Are you sure you just dont have a coolant leak ?
Thing now is do you take a chance with used motor that could develope same problem or go new?
It’s a rough start. So I’m inclined to believe it’s related to the TSB.
I’m pretty diligent with my fluids too, so for that to be so low so quick reinforced it for me.

I’m probably going to go new once they make me whole on the motor. Three other models have the same motor in my price range and I can afford. So I really don’t want a different car with the same motor.

Alex9661

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just googled 2017 Ford Edge warranty. It's 3yrs/36kmiles bumper to bumper, 5yrs/60kmiles powertrain.

"Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;".

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just googled 2017 Ford Edge warranty. It's 3yrs/36kmiles bumper to bumper, 5yrs/60kmiles powertrain.

"Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;".
Woo boy do I hope that’s the case. I don’t recall them mentioning anything other than the 3y/36k and the gap insurance I bought into.
I’ll check my folder of paperwork in the morning.

AMV

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cylinder #2... I think that could be the motor with the machining defect in the block surface between # 2-3.... go to dealer to see what they say

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cylinder #2... I think that could be the motor with the machining defect in the block surface between # 2-3.... go to dealer to see what they say
That’s the plan for tomorrow. I’m going to camp out in the service department until I get an answer.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
prepare to be in a loaner for a while!
Do some home work, get your warranty papers in check and be prepared to fight. Maybe call ford customer care service
I’m pretty sure fords powertrain warranty is 5yr/60k and is usually transferable
yes in the ford warranty book says used fords are under any remaining warranty.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Woo boy do I hope that’s the case. I don’t recall them mentioning anything other than the 3y/36k and the gap insurance I bought into.
I’ll check my folder of paperwork in the morning.
never believe what they tell you . Most "extended" or "purchased" warranties need a lawyer and a english major to read and understand them !
Looks like yours should be under warranty

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
never believe what they tell you . Most "extended" or "purchased" warranties need a lawyer and a english major to read and understand them !
Looks like yours should be under warranty
Yeah I pulled the window sticker from the car after it wouldn’t attempt starting this morning.

32C97E7C-4E71-49CC-8462-B2A6A03FC1AE.jpeg
We good! Called Roadside and they’re sending a truck now. Can’t wait to see how long they’ll take to repair it.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Did a quick look at wotk
Shows ford engine for 2.0 is $3500
And depending on short block or complete engine asembly with no parts transfers runs 12-18hrs labor

Im actually surprised if the price on engine is correct. The system is usually darn close
2.7 comes in at $6200

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just got home after getting a courtesy ride back. Woman at the desk said they’re backed up for days and they might not be able to diagnose it sooner. Until they diagnose it, they can’t get me a rental covered. Ford would also have to approve the rental coverage but that wasn’t even certain to be approved.
Still might end up being out a couple hundred for the rental by the end of this.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yeah I pulled the window sticker from the car after it wouldn’t attempt starting this morning.

View attachment 297113
We good! Called Roadside and they’re sending a truck now. Can’t wait to see how long they’ll take to repair it.
Good news for once. Good on you OP and good luck with your repair!

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
[rofl]

if only Toyota got their shit together and could come up with an honest 22 mpg on their Tundra...that might be an option!
As long as ford , chevy and dodge keep paying toyota to NOT introduce a better gas milage or 250/2500 HD option toyota will just do what they have been doing.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as ford , chevy and dodge keep paying toyota to NOT introduce a better gas milage or 250/2500 HD option toyota will just do what they have been doing.
It sure seems like they are. I mean, WHO puts out a mid sized truck, like the tundra, that gets 13 MPG on a GOOD DAY???
I do not care how long the damn thing lasts, with that sorts of gas mileage, i can afford to replace a Ford engine ever 6 years or so

AMV

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would let them know you are aware of the TSB-
19-2208.... what dealer you go to... I know few people

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would let them know you are aware of the TSB-
19-2208.... what dealer you go to... I know few people
I did and the woman working the desk at York wrote it on some of the papers. So I assume they'll be looking into it.
Everyone I've mentioned it to assumed head gaskets... so we'll see

mpd61

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It sure seems like they are. I mean, WHO puts out a mid sized truck, like the tundra, that gets 13 MPG on a GOOD DAY???
I do not care how long the damn thing lasts, with that sorts of gas mileage, i can afford to replace a Ford engine ever 6 years or so
I agree 100% Was totally going with a base SR Tundra 4x4 for $38K until I saw the published mileage figures and talked with one of the guys on the local FD who has one. Now I'm grabbing an F-150 SXT with 5.0 Coyote for same $$$ and 20-22 mpg!

AMV

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did and the woman working the desk at York wrote it on some of the papers. So I assume they'll be looking into it.
Everyone I've mentioned it to assumed head gaskets... so we'll see

If it was just a head gasket that is what they would replace... this TSB is calling for a long block. there was a defect in the machining process that left an imperfection in the top of the block between cylinders 2 and 3....For a period of time the replacement engines we saw (1.5 liter) had this same defect.... when this was discovered, the short blocks where on back order for weeks.... that was probably 8 months ago. this is an extremely common repair at the dealer and will take very little time to diag per the TSB..... you will almost definitely get a new long block... time frame is how readily available parts are and how busy dealer is... I worked at multi car line dealership that had Ford I was not a ford Guy... but was friendly with the ford guys and watched this whole thing unfold.... I think it was the 1.5 liters some didn't make it 500 miles

Top Bottom