• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forty Years Ago Today

Hey Buddy. Sorry about your loss. As long as good people like the ones here are around, your brother will never be forgotten.

The world is truly better off with what your brother did and accomplished in his life. I come from the 'me' generation and it is very aptly named. Then, I get a nice smack of reality to hit me with having now been introduced to your brother who obviously believed in something more than what was good for himself.

Sadly, not all people of this nation grasp that, and I am sure every so often throughout our Country the other Gary Roy Smiths who gave the ultimate sacrifice remind future generations of what it takes to maintain our freedoms.

May his spirit rest and peace, and though I have never met him, and was born well after he passed, I am very much eternally thankful for the sacrifice he made so I have what I have today.

Last edited:
RIP Brother Gary.

You fought and died so guys like me could come home. A gift I can only hope to deserve.

I was in the Central Highlands of Vietnam at the time your Brother died. I too lost my close friend and cousin the April before with the Marines at Quang Tri.

It's never easy thinking about them. And I think about them a lot. Some days I smile, and some I cry. I'm pretty sure you do the same.

The Vetereans family gives it's best fruit to a country that damn well better respect the sacrifice they make!

Just said a prayer for the eternal soul of Gary Roy Smith. You were blessed to have such a brother. America was blessed to have him serve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKg1vMeaY5M

Requiem for a Soldier

You never lived to see
What you gave to me
One shining dream of hope and love
Life and liberty

With a host of brave unknown Soldiers
For your company, you will live forever
Here in our memory

In fields of sacrifice
Heroes paid the price
Young men who died for old men's wars