• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forward Assist issue

DemonChronicles

NES Member
So, end of last season I had ended it with a bent forward assist pin in my Spikes billet upper. Short story, was firing, didn't notice anything, looked down and my forward assist was on the ground (of course the spring was no where to be found). No biggie, ended up shooting without it for the day.

Get home, take it apart, and cant get the FA pin out (they are screw in pins on the Spikes billet upper.) Apparently, the forward assist was sticking out just a enough, got caught up on the side slots of the carrier and the FA got forced out, bending the FA pin in the process on it's way by.

[frown]

And of course, I strip the Allen head pin attempting to get it out to replace the FA.

[angry]

I end up calling Spikes and they tell me it's under warranty and they've had it happen before. They no longer make the gen I billet uppers, so he tells me they are sending out a replacement Gen II billet upper. Got it, put it all together and waited for the snow to melt....

[rolleyes]

So I finally get out to the range tonight, all excited and sh*t to get some rounds down range. Get set up, and take a shot...

[rockon]

One shot...

...that's all I got.
[angry2]

The BCG is now locked in battery, can't get it loose at all at the range. The BCG never came back at all, felt like a bolt gun. Inspection showed the BCG was actually loose enough to move just a small amount, but nothing more. I pack up and head for home.

[sad2]

Get into the basement and get it apart and find out that the FA that came with the new upper is just a "C" hair to long or out of spec, it's getting caught up on the BCG side slots, locking it in place.

[banghead]

I pull the FA, bolt comes out, no problem. Of course I had already removed the Diamondhead rail and the barrel prior to this. Stupid me...

[angry]

I put it all back together, leaving the FA out, and everything slides fine, works well. Put that bastard back in, and it it locked again.

[hmmm]

Luckily, I had a spare FA that I ordered for the first time (on the gen I). Replaced it with that, headed back down the street to the range.

[thumbsup]

This time, no issues at all, got about 200 rounds in before I headed home, big smile in tow.

[smile]

Anyone EVER experience such a friggin' thing?!?!?!

Last edited:
Can you just shave down that other FA to make it work??

Had I brought my tool box, I may have tried that. When I had it apart when I came back home, I had a brand new FA on my bench, was really no need to shave the out of spec one down.

I still had daylight left and wanted to head back to the range.

Had I brought my tool box, I may have tried that. When I had it apart when I came back home, I had a brand new FA on my bench, was really no need to shave the out of spec one down.

I still had daylight left and wanted to head back to the range.

Yeah good for you for getting it working, so you could continue shooting. [thumbsup] I was just thinking for next time. Instead of sending it back or trashing it, I would just cut it down a tad to make it work. Easy enough to do.

Didn't you function test the rifle before you went to the range?? Never assume everything is going to work the way it's supposed to on a new build. Or even when replacing parts.

Didn't you function test the rifle before you went to the range?? Never assume everything is going to work the way it's supposed to on a new build. Or even when replacing parts.

That's the crazy thing about it man, I function test it all the time, never felt or had an issue.

As a matter of fact, I just replaced the buffer and spring with a JP captured spring unit a couple of weeks ago and have been function testing the crap out of it in amazement at how quiet that JP unit is.

That's the crazy thing about it man, I function test it all the time, never felt or had an issue.

As a matter of fact, I just replaced the buffer and spring with a JP captured spring unit a couple of weeks ago and have been function testing the crap out of it in amazement at how quiet that JP unit is.

I have wondered about those captured spring setups but never knew anyone who used one. I'm kind of in the K.I.S.S. camp in general when it comes to ARs because it seems like the only real problems come in once you move away from the stock design and proven mil spec hardware so I like to see new whizbang stuff tested well before I buy into the hype. Not saying that's necessarily the case with that captured spring, but it seems to be the general rule.

I have wondered about those captured spring setups but never knew anyone who used one. I'm kind of in the K.I.S.S. camp in general when it comes to ARs because it seems like the only real problems come in once you move away from the stock design and proven mil spec hardware so I like to see new whizbang stuff tested well before I buy into the hype. Not saying that's necessarily the case with that captured spring, but it seems to be the general rule.

Got a decent deal on one from a member. Very simple unit, very quiet, no "twang" or sound at all, no need for that buffer detent either.

It is a pretty K.I.S.S. type of unit, IMO.

Is that JP unit worth it?

Got a decent deal on one from a member. Very simple unit, very quiet, no "twang" or sound at all, no need for that buffer detent either.

It is a pretty K.I.S.S. type of unit, IMO.

Just curious as I have never seen what it looks like, but what holds it in without having a detent?

Is that JP unit worth it?

Just helped a new member finish his build the other night. He has the JP buffer.

First time out he had multiple operational issues. I wasn't there, so couldn't verify causes. Had problems with trigger reset, and short cycling I think, but reports came from a third party. When it did cycle properly, they said it was quiet and smooth, on a 14 1/2" midlength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine on a carbine length, no need for the spacer. The perceived recoil seemed to be less than with the original setup I had (Spikes spring and buffer). But I have to admit, I didn't do a side by side.

I am going to shoot it both ways this weekend (standard spring and buffer vs. JP unit).

The only thing I CAN say about it, is it is very quiet. I could hear the spring "twang" very clearly prior to replacement, even during functional testing.

It really is a simple unit (the JP unit), well made.

In my case, I am not using the JP lightweight BCG, just the standard one I have had all along.

I find it interesting that people can even hear the spring at all on a standard setup. I don't know if my AR has some magically smooth setup or something, but I have never heard my spring over the sound of gunfire, especially with muffs on, although I could be hearing impaired or something from years of heavy metal concerts.[laugh]

I find it interesting that people can even hear the spring at all on a standard setup. I don't know if my AR has some magically smooth setup or something, but I have never heard my spring over the sound of gunfire, especially with muffs on, although I could be hearing impaired or something from years of heavy metal concerts.[laugh]

I certainly can't hear the twang while firing. Even on my carbines while racking the charging handle on a dry gun I really don't hear anything annoying. I have a rifle that I can hear a twang doing that, but again while firing? If it's twanging I really don't notice.

These fancy buffers seem like an expensive solution to a non-problem.

Do you have one that will convince the warden?

[smile]

Hey, at least you didn't get it colored pink... [rofl2]

I've not noticed any noise from the buffer in my AR's as of yet. It's not like we need the gun to be 100% silent when firing. Besides, I can get several buffer and spring setups for the cost of one of the JP items. Even heavier buffers to help with felt recoil.

As for the forward assist itself... It actually does provide a function, it's just the chance that WE'LL need it is rather remote. I'd rather have the forward assist on the upper and never need it, than need it and not have it there.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what the latest tactical cool guy color is, actually ;)

Black is always cool...

As for the forward assist itself... It actually does provide a function...

It is an invention for a non-existent problem.

Take a look at your ejection port (with the door open), see that notched shape? Notice your thumb can fit good there to push the bolt forward?

Exactly, that is the original FA. If you have to push any harder, then there is an issue.

The Army put the FA in there because they HAD to put some thing in there to make it theirs.

Most Air Force and Marine models didn't have an FA.

I'm seriously just thinking about getting rid of it and using a Delrin plug.

Well, if you decide you want to plug it with delrin, I have some up here. Bring the upper and we'll make the plug fit nice and tight (on the lathe). If it looks good, and such, I might even do it for my AR's... [smile]

Back
Top Bottom