• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Found My First Kit Radio: 42 years old

cockpitbob

NES Member
I was digging through boxes in the basement and found a gem. It's a Graymark-510 AM radio I built in high school 42 years ago. It sat on a shelf in my parent's basement for 25 years and in a box in my basement since. I took a risk with the old capacitors inside and just plugged it into the wall. It still works![smile]

It's a 5 tube hot chassis design[shocked] so I kind of have to remember to not take the cover off with it plugged in. The 5-tube AM is a classic design my Dad referred to as "the All American 5 Tube". It takes about 30 seconds to warm up, and warm is right. The top of the box is almost uncomfortably warm over one area.

I have no memory of how much the kit cost or if the school provided it then, but the new-old stock kits seem to be going for $300 on eBay. I almost told my Dad to throw it away 20 years ago. I'm really glad I didn't. I wouldn't sell it for anything today.

SAM_2337_zpsojzqdzqp.jpg

Still nice and clean inside after 42 years.
SAM_2342_zpsgkqpubve.jpg

It's all point-to-point wiring. No circuit board. I did pretty nice soldering in high school, but I guess I didn't care about neatly dressing the wires back then[laugh].
SAM_2339_zpszy5zlruh.jpg

Note the hot chassis power supply in the lower right. The filaments for the 5 tubes are in series directly across the AC supply. And V1 is rectifying the AC input, so things run on 170Vdc![shocked]
usa_Graymark_kit_510_AA5_poster_zpspxxlcllb.jpg

I'd say that I have a great EMP-proof radio for SHTF, but since it needs 120Vac to run, I'll have no way of powering it after an EMP takes out the grid.

That was a very popular design, many manufacturers took a crack at marketing what is basically the same radio.

The kit version is a neat find. That was a serious building project, so "good job" 42 years late.

I wish I still had some of the Heathkits I built in high school.

I would love to have a few kits like this on the shelf for when my kids get old enough. Everything I did as a kid (~1990's) was plug and play type electronics kits, this is seriously cool.

I had an Advent 3-Tube Projection TV.

It was actually a prototype. Cost me $500 from an engineer that worked there.

o.jpg

It was similar to this, but probably twice the size, as it had a Table-Top that was hinged and lifted up to act as the screen. I'll bet it was a one-off.

I became quite skilled at aligning the focus of the Projection Tubes.

I was sure glad to toss it, though.

My favorite Heathkit was the Analog Computer (Model EC1?). I built it when I was stationed at Fort Carson back in 1970, and sent it home when I got orders back to Nam.

When I came home from Nam, I found out my Dad had sold it for booze money! He also emptied my bank account too....[angry]

The cool thing about the Heathkit Color TV's was they also added circuitry to generate internal test patters to align them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom