• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Framingham SWAT Investigation

NAACP rep, a school principle and some other non-profit jacks are deciding
"at whether a SWAT team is needed in town, if sufficient training has been given"

yep, with idiots running the goverment it's no surprise NAACP is running police and "inmates are running the asylum"

I think this might have something to do with implementing the swat team

Bushfan was arrested in April 2008 and initially charged with two counts of armed robbery, armed assault with intent to rob and assault with a dangerous weapon. Those charges were reduced as part of the plea agreement.

Read more: http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/h...leads-guilty-to-robbery-charges#ixzz1MnbHkztu

I am still missing the need for SWAT. So these types of criminals where never even attempted to be apprehended before they had SWAT? These no knock warrants gotta go. I understand if you knock they can dump the drugs, but honestly how effective is a drug arrest anyway?

The committee includes Yvonne Brown, a representative of the New England Area Conference of the NAACP; Martin Cohen, president of the MetroWest Community Health Care Foundation; Beth Donnelly, community relations director for MetroWest Medical Center; Tim Flanagan, president of Framingham State University; Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes; the Rev. J. Anthony Lloyd of Greater Framingham Community Church; Paul Mina, executive director of United Way of Tri-County; and Michael Welch, principal of Framingham High School.

A high school principal and United Way director? Jesus, where's the ACORN rep?

I am still missing the need for SWAT. So these types of criminals where never even attempted to be apprehended before they had SWAT? These no knock warrants gotta go. I understand if you knock they can dump the drugs, but honestly how effective is a drug arrest anyway?

Originally the SWAT concept was to go into special circumstances that the regular patrol officers were either not trained or had the equipment to handle or both. SWAT Teams were (and are in many but now not all departments) part-time, and on-call. Now because of the increasingly militarization of the Police, SWAT Teams are called out for everything from a hostage situation to a miscreant third grader who drew a picture of a gun in art class. This is part of the "shock and awe" philosophy which again has been borrowed from the military.

No knock warrants have their place to give the devil his due BUT should only be initiated when there is intelligence that is virtually beyond any reasonable doubt that the bad guy(s) is/are there with evidence.

Drug arrests are frequently very effective in the sense that many are convicted either in court or by taking a plea. Prisons are full of drug offenders. If you mean, however, how effective is the War on Drugs? Well....that is an entirely different matter and I am not going to go there because I would run out of space to reply.

My sensing is that we are going to see more and more SWAT type responses by what we have always regarded as the regular police or patrol officers. There is a movement afoot to implement active shooter training where first responding officers aggressively engage the threat rather than try to contain it until the SWAT Team arrives. Columbine is usually the baseline incident for this shift in law enforcement philosophy, along with the shootout in North Hollywood (which to me was classic, the threat was contained with suppressive fire until the SWAT Team could deploy).

This of course raises all kinds of questions. I have always been a big fan of the police shotgun as the "heavy artillery" for the average cop for several reasons: short range and less likely to overpenetrate {note I said less likely}, pump shotgun easy to use, and versatility of loads. We have evolved to pistol caliber carbines and now full blown ARs M16/M4 patrol rifles. The latter used to be exclusively SWAT weapons.

Now with BDU/ACU styled duty uniforms, military grade weapons (frequently paid for or supplied by the Federal Govt) all police are becoming more SWAT-like in attitude if not in training. This shift is only going to cause a further rift between the police and the citizens (who are now referred to as "civilians" by cops which is ironic because cops are civilians too) and continue to foster a "them and us" philosophy.

My 2 euros for what their worth (more than dollars I think [grin]

Mark L.

An independent panel such as this should also seek out and include a recognized civilian firearms trainer with no law enforcement background. Steve Hathaway comes to mind; there are others. Such an individual would be very familiar with the standards of accountability imposed on non-LEOs who are involved in clearly accidental shootings, and could raise questions such as "is the standard of negligence for LEOs different than for ordinary folks?" and "should a police officer be immediately disarmed in the same manner a civilian would be when involved in a clearly accidental shooting?".

By empaneling persons without the background necessary to understand how this would be handled if the person involved was not "special", there is a setup for an almost automatic acceptance of the concept described by the DA before the investigation even occurred "...accident for which no criminal charges are filed".

Contrast this to the tragic BB gun shooting that occurred not to long after the Framingham incident. A 17 year old accidentally shot his friend resulting in very serious injury (cranial penetration into the brain). The police immediately concluded it was a tragic accident but, since the person with the BB gun does not hold a badge, criminal charges were filed and the subject immediately prohibited from possessing a gun by the court.

I expect the panel to do it's best to address the question of "how can this be prevented", but work from a position of automatic acceptance of not holding police to the same standards of accountability for accidents that would be imposed on ordinary citizens.

Part of the group's mission is to help the community heal from the tragedy.
It's been nearly eight months since Stamps, a 68-year-old grandfather and retired MBTA worker, was killed during an early-morning drug raid in his 26 Fountain St. home.
The results of Ijames' inquiry and an internal police review have yet to be made public.

I'd suggest that manslaughter charges against the careless SOB responsible would go a long way towards helping "the community heal from the tragedy".

Back
Top Bottom