• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

France goes Glock

frenchman

NES Member

After ditching the FAMAS for the HK416, they let now go of the PAMAS (French licensed M9) for the G17.

I think the 2022 is one of the best pistol deals out there. It's a polymer 226 for all I care. I'm sure the mags are compatible with 226 or 250.

I think the 2022 is one of the best pistol deals out there. It's a polymer 226 for all I care. I'm sure the mags are compatible with 226 or 250.

IIRC sig is no longer supporting it or in the midst of getting away from the 2022
i wholeheartedly agree that if sig continued to improve their polymer TDA it would be a great pistol maybe on par with the P30 or PX4. its a bummer. the internal extractor SP2022 was suspect. regardless is was a step in the right direction which is why sig took a step in the other direction.

SP2022 (sig pro line) mags are not compatible w the P226 or the P229, which despite popular opinion are themselves not mag compatible either. the P228 could use P226 mags but the P229-1 is a wider frame.

unrelated
i was in a gun shop yesterday overheard two guys arguing over whether theres more NDs with P320 or glock and which is “more dangerous”. pretty hilarious. the glock fanboy seemed to have the upper hand so I hopped in and joined him in belittling the P320 nerd.

Last edited:
The armed forces never used the 2022 (my favorite pistol btw). The national police has them and will keep them afaik.

No FAMAS. No PAMAS. Next the French Treasury is cancelling using PEDMAS and the budget is suddenly balanced!

They should have went with the 320. At least when they drop them before they run maybe the islamo fascists that they imported over their will get shot!

Did they get the flag accessory?

Bob

tenor.gif

Good choice. Glocks can withstand being dropped repeatedly.

If only it had surrender handles like the FAMAS.

It is a good thing actually, but our resident veteran of la Légion étrangère hates Glocks, no? Or am I remembering that incorrectly...

:)

I own a few Glocks. I don't hate them, I'm just not in love with them. They're just pistols. And they're ugly.

I own a few Glocks. I don't hate them, I'm just not in love with them. They're just pistols. And they're ugly.

Most handguns worth carrying are ugly. I used to be repulsed by the way most sigs looked, too. Then I stopped being a fgt and just started buying and shooting everything... [rofl]

I have a total of maybe two handguns that -kinda- look nice.

One regret sale I had though was a P228 in factory nickel. that gun was legitimately good looking. That was the dumbest sale I ever did. At least the dude that bought it is probably going to give it to his son as an heirloom.

-Mike

75,000 G17's for $49m = $653 each, that's no bargain, those French negotiators must really suck.
At that kind of volume they should be getting them a lot cheaper than that.

One regret sale I had though was a P228 in factory nickel. that gun was legitimately good looking. That was the dumbest sale I ever did.

I have one of those in two-tone with the nickel slide, it's still one of my favorite 9's, never had as much as a hiccup with it either.

75,000 G17's for $49m = $653 each, that's no bargain, those French negotiators must really suck.
At that kind of volume they should be getting them a lot cheaper than that.

I bet that $653 each comes with a lot if magazines and spare parts and a support contract.

is the FAMAS completely phased out? I could of sworn I was still seeing it I think in stuff from mali?
I think they started phasing them out last year, and the process will take two years or so. The special forces already had the SCAR and 416 for a while, Legion and the 11th airborne brigade are usually first in line for new stuff, then infantry, then he rest.

I think they started phasing them out last year, and the process will take two years or so. The special forces already had the SCAR and 416 for a while, Legion and the 11th airborne brigade are usually first in line for new stuff, then infantry, then he rest.
I've only seen the FAMAS a hand full of times in person, was never able to hold one or fire one though. They seem to have the typical bullpop downsides of sloppy trigger though from what I've heard.

Interesting they chose the 416. The AR pattern is still being adopted long after it came out. Do you know what rifles were in the running for the replacement?

Interesting they chose the 416. The AR pattern is still being adopted long after it came out. Do you know what rifles were in the running for the replacement?
As far as I know, it was the G36, Steyr AUG, an updated FAMAS, the Beretta, THE 416 and the SCAR. FAMAS, Beretta and G36 were out of the race early on.

Lol. GDS? Glock Derangement Syndrom?

Glocks are maybe not beautiful but they are very elegant and simple designs that are easy to manage and almost completely reliable.

Never said they weren't elegant and simple, easy to manage and reliable. I do dislike them, though I owned one for twelve years once. I just said they're not beautiful, which is what you said too.

So come. Join me in your GDS.

Never said they weren't elegant and simple, easy to manage and reliable. I do dislike them, though I owned one for twelve years once. I just said they're not beautiful, which is what you said too.

So come. Join me in your GDS.
Stop being so serious. Snickers time? 😉

Back
Top Bottom