1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Franklin/Medway Club Options?

Discussion in 'Gun Ranges & Clubs' started by EPICC185, Sep 17, 2019.

1. EPICC185

EPICC185

I currently belong to Taunton R&P Club in SE Mass. It's been a good experience for me and I have no complaints, except....that I now live about 35 minutes/30 miles away. I used to be 10-12 minutes away and it was very convenient. Now, not so much because a round trip plus target shooting will run me almost two hours of time, plus 60 miles on my vehicle.

I've looked in the forum at map postings/listings and done my own searches, but, club web sites are not well-updated or described in many cases.

I'm looking for a club in the Franklin/Medway area that has an indoor range. Hopedale? Wrentham?

Thanks in advance for tips/advice.

2. jayhitek

jayhitek NES Member

MFS in Holliston and Hopkinton Sportman are both about 20 mins from Franklin

EPICC185 likes this.
  3. MadatMarek

MadatMarek NES Member

Hopedale 24/7 access 365

EPICC185 likes this.
  4. chris_1001

chris_1001 NES Member

5. chris_1001

chris_1001 NES Member

This

EPICC185 likes this.
  6. EPICC185

EPICC185

Thank you! It looks like Hopedale is the closest and perhaps the best fit for what I'm looking for. Holliston and Hopkinton would fit as well. Much appreciated!

7. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
  8. EPICC185

EPICC185

Hopedale turned out to not be a good fit. They were very accommodating to add me as a member. But I learned late that the indoor range is setup such that, targets must be up against the backstop at 50 feet from the benches. And that's it. The distance is not variable. There are short-line benches at 25 feet, but can't be used if someone is already present and shooting from the 50 foot distance. I get it, but that's not what I'm looking for, which is, an indoor range with the ability to shoot at a shorter distance, no farther than 25-30 feet, at all times.

9. Billy2

Billy2 Instructor NES Member

Hopkinton is my vote.

10. John42056

John42056 NES Member

While this is true, I have been a member there for about a year and I have yet to NOT have the range all to myself. It's so close to my house, it's like having my own private range.

11. rep308

rep308 NES Member

Fin Fur and Feather in Millis is a great club for clay shooting and has a nice indoor and outdoor pistol range. no rifle range though.

12. jayhitek

jayhitek NES Member

Did I just read this right.. $175 to join and then $230/yr and no rifle range..
    Seems a tad expensive.

13. EPICC185

EPICC185

Fair enough, but for the annual dues, plus the capital improvement add-on, the first time I go and can't shoot from the short-line, I know I'll be very sour about it.

14. EPICC185

EPICC185

The indoor range rules don't say anything about a minimum distance. Assuming it's all the way to the wall, 50 feet?

Same issue as Hopedale - Shooting is allowed from the seven (7) yard line (red strip on floor), but no closer due to backsplash. Priority is given to those using the 50 foot line.

15. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Best bet is to reach out to the Pistol Chairman (on the Club's website, under the contact/committee chair tab) for a clarification.

The outside pistol pit is 50 feet, with reduced range target frames available, BTW.

16. jayhitek

jayhitek NES Member

Hopkinton has movable targets hangers. You can put your target anywhere you want from 7' to all the way back at 50'.
    The line on the floor is if you want to shoot infront of the counters and stand closer to the back stop. That's why you have to priority to the 50' line if someone is there.. They can shoot behind you.

But I've been there many times when you're the only one in the range and can shoot from whatever position you want.

17. jek

jek NES Life Member NES Member

At Hopedale priority is given to the distance the first shooter is firing from. That is, if you show up at the range and no one else is there and you start shooting at 25’ that is the firing line for anyone that shows up while you’re shooting at that distance.

18. 2ballcane

2ballcane NES Life Member NES Member

Correct. And to the earlier point there is rarely multiple shooters there give 24/7 365 except those who cone together

19. james13

james13

Franklin Rod and Gun Club has a 2 lane indoor range. Was there once 12+ years ago and it was 24x7 access, but I don't remember much more than that.

Saw somewhere that Mansfield Fish and Game is in the process if building an indoor range.