• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Franklin/Medway Club Options?

I currently belong to Taunton R&P Club in SE Mass. It's been a good experience for me and I have no complaints, except....that I now live about 35 minutes/30 miles away. I used to be 10-12 minutes away and it was very convenient. Now, not so much because a round trip plus target shooting will run me almost two hours of time, plus 60 miles on my vehicle.

I've looked in the forum at map postings/listings and done my own searches, but, club web sites are not well-updated or described in many cases.

I'm looking for a club in the Franklin/Medway area that has an indoor range. Hopedale? Wrentham?

Thanks in advance for tips/advice.

Thank you! It looks like Hopedale is the closest and perhaps the best fit for what I'm looking for. Holliston and Hopkinton would fit as well. Much appreciated!

Hopedale turned out to not be a good fit. They were very accommodating to add me as a member. But I learned late that the indoor range is setup such that, targets must be up against the backstop at 50 feet from the benches. And that's it. The distance is not variable. There are short-line benches at 25 feet, but can't be used if someone is already present and shooting from the 50 foot distance. I get it, but that's not what I'm looking for, which is, an indoor range with the ability to shoot at a shorter distance, no farther than 25-30 feet, at all times.

Hopedale turned out to not be a good fit. They were very accommodating to add me as a member. But I learned late that the indoor range is setup such that, targets must be up against the backstop at 50 feet from the benches. And that's it. The distance is not variable. There are short-line benches at 25 feet, but can't be used if someone is already present and shooting from the 50 foot distance. I get it, but that's not what I'm looking for, which is, an indoor range with the ability to shoot at a shorter distance, no farther than 25-30 feet, at all times.

While this is true, I have been a member there for about a year and I have yet to NOT have the range all to myself. It's so close to my house, it's like having my own private range.

While this is true, I have been a member there for about a year and I have yet to NOT have the range all to myself. It's so close to my house, it's like having my own private range.

Fair enough, but for the annual dues, plus the capital improvement add-on, the first time I go and can't shoot from the short-line, I know I'll be very sour about it.

The indoor range rules don't say anything about a minimum distance. Assuming it's all the way to the wall, 50 feet?

Best bet is to reach out to the Pistol Chairman (on the Club's website, under the contact/committee chair tab) for a clarification.

The outside pistol pit is 50 feet, with reduced range target frames available, BTW.

Same issue as Hopedale - Shooting is allowed from the seven (7) yard line (red strip on floor), but no closer due to backsplash. Priority is given to those using the 50 foot line.

Hopkinton has movable targets hangers. You can put your target anywhere you want from 7' to all the way back at 50'.
The line on the floor is if you want to shoot infront of the counters and stand closer to the back stop. That's why you have to priority to the 50' line if someone is there.. They can shoot behind you.

But I've been there many times when you're the only one in the range and can shoot from whatever position you want.

Same issue as Hopedale - Shooting is allowed from the seven (7) yard line (red strip on floor), but no closer due to backsplash. Priority is given to those using the 50 foot line.

At Hopedale priority is given to the distance the first shooter is firing from. That is, if you show up at the range and no one else is there and you start shooting at 25’ that is the firing line for anyone that shows up while you’re shooting at that distance.

At Hopedale priority is given to the distance the first shooter is firing from. That is, if you show up at the range and no one else is there and you start shooting at 25’ that is the firing line for anyone that shows up while you’re shooting at that distance.
Correct. And to the earlier point there is rarely multiple shooters there give 24/7 365 except those who cone together

Franklin Rod and Gun Club has a 2 lane indoor range. Was there once 12+ years ago and it was 24x7 access, but I don't remember much more than that.

Saw somewhere that Mansfield Fish and Game is in the process if building an indoor range.

Back
Top Bottom