• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FRB FA-10 Database

Still disturbing to me. No matter how much I hear people try to convince me that we "don't really have a gun registry", it is, in my opinion, a gun registry just under another name. If an LEO/the State can simply pull up your info and know what you own, they can also knock on your door to confiscate them (in theory).
They can't though. They can know everything they have record of your having has transferred to you in MA. As words have meaning, this is a hugely important distinction. It's still bad, but it's by no means "everything you own."

They can't though. They can know everything they have record of your having has transferred to you in MA. As words have meaning, this is a hugely important distinction. It's still bad, but it's by no means "everything you own."
Point taken. Agree.
Okay, I rescind "everything you own" 🙂
It's still shitty.

What I was actually hoping for was another LEO to chime in with something like: "Thats not true, we don't have that kind of access!"

<still hoping>

Still disturbing to me. No matter how much I hear people try to convince me that we "don't really have a gun registry", it is, in my opinion, a gun registry just under another name. If an LEO/the State can simply pull up your info and know what you own, they can also knock on your door to confiscate them (in theory).
In mass it functionally doesn't matter. It's too late. Even without the FA10 system, If you have an LTC or FID you are basically "marked: as owning guns thats all they would need for confiscation or other purposes. If people want that kind of privacy back they will need to abolish permits and licenses for these sorts of things.

I have had it done to me on the side of the road. It still doesn't mean anything. The young kid that pulled me over i think just about shit his pants he was like "why do you have so many guns" i responded that i wish i still had all of those... (nothing disappears from that thing) there are probably many on this board that have hundreds of entries in there.
I thought it was easy for the local police that issued the license to see that and the state police to see that.
but other towns needed to go through another step

When I applied for something with the licensing officer in my town he asked what a zastava was and I assume at this point my "list" is top 5% in MA (probably not a hard number to hit in this state)

But in the rare times I have been pulled over have never had anyone bring it up but I would not offer the information that I was carrying and keep my LTC away from my license

I thought it was easy for the local police that issued the license to see that and the state police to see that.
but other towns needed to go through another step

When I applied for something with the licensing officer is my town he asked what a zastava was but in the rare times I have been pulled over have never had anyone bring it up but I would not offer the information that I was carrying and keep my LTC away from my license

Any town/agency that has CJISWEB access can get that stuff. If they pull you up on a car laptop it will cross search your DL and pop hot if you have an LTC. (Throws an alert symbol on the screen) Most of the better cops see it but really don't give a shit. That's why you were probably never asked.

• Manufacturing guns for yourself
    • The state will tell you to do a FA10 registration within 7 days.
    • I challenge you to find the entry in MGL that makes this a requirement
      • MGL 140 128B speaks about acquisition, not manufacturing
        • But most people believe it applies and behave according
It would seem that this would apply to frame transfers as well, using MGL to define firearm, rifle or shotgun,
It also looks like if it was purchased from a licensee (FFL) you are exempt, if they chose to use the Fed definitions

Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms

It would seem that this would apply to frame transfers as well, using MGL to define firearm, rifle or shotgun,
It also looks like if it was purchased from a licensee (FFL) you are exempt, if they chose to use the Fed definitions

Section 128B. Any resident of the commonwealth who purchases or obtains a firearm, rifle or shotgun or machine gun from any source within or without the commonwealth, other than from a licensee under section one hundred and twenty-two or a person authorized to sell firearms

Lol under MGL frames don't count. Frames cannot discharge projectiles. It's nowhere near the fed template.

Lol under MGL frames don't count. Frames cannot discharge projectiles. It's nowhere near the fed template.
exactly! but some may try

You would be the manufacturer, therefore no need to FA 10 after completing the frame you purchased

Last edited:
I have had it done to me on the side of the road. It still doesn't mean anything. The young kid that pulled me over i think just about shit his pants he was like "why do you have so many guns" i responded that i wish i still had all of those... (nothing disappears from that thing) there are probably many on this board that have hundreds of entries in there.
Yup, I recall talking with Michaela Dunne (FRB Director at the time) one day and said that if my chief (at that time) ever knew all of what I owned, he'd shit his pants. She said that he could always check their database and my respnse was that I knew that but he's too lazy to do that. :D
Yes they can and they have done that to some people when suspending/revoking the LTC.
exactly! but some may try

You would be the manufacturer, therefore no need to FA 10 after completing the frame you purchased
Not true at all. The law requires you to register them. Whether or not you do is up to you.

Can you point out where it in MGL is states this?
LE interprets "acquired" in the law meaning if you buy it, inherit it, build it, etc. You didn't have that gun before and now you do . . . an eFA-10 is required.

If you ever wish to argue about this in court (no matter how unlikely), your odds of winning aren't very good.

LE interprets "acquired" in the law meaning if you buy it, inherit it, build it, etc. You didn't have that gun before and now you do . . . an eFA-10 is required.

If you ever wish to argue about this in court (no matter how unlikely), your odds of winning aren't very good.
I have had different experiences with this from the boston PD detectives, They found a pistol registered to me that was sold as a frame, they tried hard to jam the kid up carrying it , but was ultimately told after doing the research, there is no need to register something you already own, and no transfer occurred to record. so there was no laws broken. This dose go against what you state LE interpret acquired to be, Without any president it is all up to interpretation
take it for what it's worth

Any town/agency that has CJISWEB access can get that stuff. If they pull you up on a car laptop it will cross search your DL and pop hot if you have an LTC. (Throws an alert symbol on the screen) Most of the better cops see it but really don't give a shit. That's why you were probably never asked.
That alert essentially says “this person likely has a cleaner record than your coworkers.” Hopefully it puts officers at ease.

What I was actually hoping for was another LEO to chime in with something like: "Thats not true, we don't have that kind of access!"

<still hoping>
The police have access to the state database and the history of everything that has ever been efa10'd to you. That means any complete gun that you have bought from a dealer who recorded the transaction, or any private party transaction that was recorded by the seller.

IF you only buy on-roster guns from places like the Deli Ticket Emporium then YES, they have access to everything you have ever owned. The can NOT see if you have gotten rid of any guns (via FFL transfer or what have you.)

For some people, cops have access to absolutely NOTHING they own and have no records whatsoever, even if the person has dozens of guns. Those are the people this thread is talking about. The answer to your question is 110% dependent on how the initial transaction was completed.

• If you do a records search, you see your history
    • NOT what you currently possess, just the history of everything ever transacted TO you

Excuse me, I've looked through the portal and don't see a search option. Is this a reference to the 'fill out the form and pay $20 for a list of everything we think you have' option?
      Thanks

• NOT what you currently possess, just the history of everything ever transacted TO you

Excuse me, I've looked through the portal and don't see a search option. Is this a reference to the 'fill out the form and pay $20 for a list of everything we think you have' option?
      Thanks
Correct

Thanks
if you have a seizure with your gun out and get rushed to the ER the police will come by to meet you at your door upon discharge to show you a big list for free, but they take all the ones on said list that you STILL own.

Back
Top Bottom