Freaked Out Soccer Mom and Being An Ambassador for Hunting

J

JellyFish

So I was down at Foxboro State Park today and ran into some non-hunters while walking around with my shotgun. I always try to be friendly and helpful and answer everybody's questions.

One guy on a bike chatted with me and said as he was leaving "just don't shoot my ass." I laughed and said that shooting his ass would be the last thing I wanted to do to it. [laugh] Yes, in fact he had a nice ass. No doubt about it. I don't know if he got what I meant but I thought it was very funny.

Then I ran into a soccer mom with her husband and three kids. I was walking up ahead of them on a path. I heard them coming a mile away as they were sooooo freaking loud. [laugh]

She yells to me frantically "EXCUSE ME!!!! DO THEY ALLOW HUNTING IN HERE?????" I could tell by the tone of her voice that the sight of me in blaze orange with my shotgun FREAKED her out! I thought "oh brother, she's going to have a heart attack."

So I took a deep breath and turned around and waited for them to catch up to me. I answered her question and started to chat by saying "yes, hunting is allowed in most state parks."

She's like "I can't believe they allow that!!!! What happens if somebody is hit by a stray bullet????!!!!" Bear in mind she's really upset here. Clearly she's scared one of her kids is going to be whacked by some Bubba shooting at everything that moves. LOL

So I said "oh no need to worry, you can't hunt with rifles in here...just with shotguns." She clearly didn't quite know what a shotgun was and asked if it had limited range. So I said "well yes, sort of...it won't shoot a mile like a rifle or anything like that." I probably should have tried to explain more about shotguns but didn't really have a chance.

I then urged her to go online and go to the MA state hunting site for more information on hunting seasons, rules and regulations, etc. I also told her that nobody had ever gotten shot or hurt in that forest by a hunter (I got that from one of the old timers that works there) and that she and her kids were safe. I encouraged her to wear bright colors (blaze orange, etc.) during hunting season though as a good safety idea.

You could tell that she really was freaked out so I tried my best to keep her calm and answer her questions as polite and friendly as possible. She was sort of hysterical.

I had forgotten what it was like being in there with some of the non-hunters. Down in Norton, it's mostly other hunters so nobody is scared of guns.

Some of these non-hunters though are very afraid of guns and that they'll get shot by a Bubba. So you really have to be an ambassador and answer their questions without becoming defensive. She sort of freaked me out as was aggressive and nervous at the same time.

It's a challenge sometimes as when you run into somebody like her who is flat out scared, surprised and apparently did NOT see the sign at the entrance that clearly states that hunting is allowed in the park. [rolleyes] [laugh]

I really must remember to bring copies of the hunting abstract with me so that I can hand them out to people like her. I think it would be a good idea and would provide her with some basic education. I meant to suggest that she enroll herself, her husband and her children in a Basic Hunter's Education course as well as there's a lot of helpful informatin provided there.

So if you are out in a state park or other area hunting, be sure to be ready to answer questions like this and also be ready for a fearful/combative attitude on the part of some people. Coming across as friendly and helpful is a good way to make sure they walk away with a positive image of a hunter.

Just some thoughts...

Oops, some other thoughts. It's a good idea to be ready with some talking points if you are asked questions about hunting and/or firearms. I try to be ready to answer things like "why do you hunt?" and that kind of thing.

I need to dig up some facts though about how much hunter's pay in fees and how that helps conservation, etc. Ideally I'd like to have a handout I can give them along with the hunting abstract that would sum up all the great things that hunters do and why we do them. If anybody has links with relevant information please post them here. I will try to put something together and maybe print it up.

We should look at running into non-hunters as a good opportunity to educate them about why hunting is a good and necessary thing.

today a guy walked by me while i was in the stand he had two german shepards with him, nice looking dogs, just a nice quick wave from him to me and i waved back. never saw him again. seemed nice. didnt say anythign and quietly walked away. but watch ill go back tom. morn and my treestand will be gone. then i will be looking for him.

Oops, some other thoughts. It's a good idea to be ready with some talking points if you are asked questions about hunting and/or firearms. I try to be ready to answer things like "why do you hunt?" and that kind of thing.

I need to dig up some facts though about how much hunter's pay in fees and how that helps conservation, etc. Ideally I'd like to have a handout I can give them along with the hunting abstract that would sum up all the great things that hunters do and why we do them. If anybody has links with relevant information please post them here. I will try to put something together and maybe print it up.

We should look at running into non-hunters as a good opportunity to educate them about why hunting is a good and necessary thing.

Jim, I'm not a hunter, so I don't know if such a handout exists. But I suggest that you ask GOAL about it and if they haven't created one, you might suggest that they do that (and volunteer any info you have for said handout).

Definitely a good idea.

So I was down at Foxboro State Park today and ran into some non-hunters while walking around with my shotgun. I always try to be friendly and helpful and answer everybody's questions.

One guy on a bike chatted with me and said as he was leaving "just don't shoot my ass." I laughed and said that shooting his ass would be the last thing I wanted to do to it. [laugh] Yes, in fact he had a nice ass. No doubt about it. I don't know if he got what I meant but I thought it was very funny.

Then I ran into a soccer mom with her husband and three kids. I was walking up ahead of them on a path. I heard them coming a mile away as they were sooooo freaking loud. [laugh]

She yells to me frantically "EXCUSE ME!!!! DO THEY ALLOW HUNTING IN HERE?????" I could tell by the tone of her voice that the sight of me in blaze orange with my shotgun FREAKED her out! I thought "oh brother, she's going to have a heart attack."

So I took a deep breath and turned around and waited for them to catch up to me. I answered her question and started to chat by saying "yes, hunting is allowed in most state parks."

She's like "I can't believe they allow that!!!! What happens if somebody is hit by a stray bullet????!!!!" Bear in mind she's really upset here. Clearly she's scared one of her kids is going to be whacked by some Bubba shooting at everything that moves. LOL

So I said "oh no need to worry, you can't hunt with rifles in here...just with shotguns." She clearly didn't quite know what a shotgun was and asked if it had limited range. So I said "well yes, sort of...it won't shoot a mile like a rifle or anything like that." I probably should have tried to explain more about shotguns but didn't really have a chance.

I then urged her to go online and go to the MA state hunting site for more information on hunting seasons, rules and regulations, etc. I also told her that nobody had ever gotten shot or hurt in that forest by a hunter (I got that from one of the old timers that works there) and that she and her kids were safe. I encouraged her to wear bright colors (blaze orange, etc.) during hunting season though as a good safety idea.

You could tell that she really was freaked out so I tried my best to keep her calm and answer her questions as polite and friendly as possible. She was sort of hysterical.

I had forgotten what it was like being in there with some of the non-hunters. Down in Norton, it's mostly other hunters so nobody is scared of guns.

Some of these non-hunters though are very afraid of guns and that they'll get shot by a Bubba. So you really have to be an ambassador and answer their questions without becoming defensive. She sort of freaked me out as was aggressive and nervous at the same time.

It's a challenge sometimes as when you run into somebody like her who is flat out scared, surprised and apparently did NOT see the sign at the entrance that clearly states that hunting is allowed in the park. [rolleyes] [laugh]

I really must remember to bring copies of the hunting abstract with me so that I can hand them out to people like her. I think it would be a good idea and would provide her with some basic education. I meant to suggest that she enroll herself, her husband and her children in a Basic Hunter's Education course as well as there's a lot of helpful informatin provided there.

So if you are out in a state park or other area hunting, be sure to be ready to answer questions like this and also be ready for a fearful/combative attitude on the part of some people. Coming across as friendly and helpful is a good way to make sure they walk away with a positive image of a hunter.

Just some thoughts...

My guess is that You were in the F. Gilbert Hill's State Forest ?
I have heard of " anti's " running there dog's throu there and the Wrentham State Forest when Hunters are present. That is illegal and they can be given a ticket/arrested by the Mass. Environmental Police , don't confront them, if possable , get their lic. number and a discription of them and there car and just call 1-800-632-8075 (24/7)

That is the main reason that I head out West . I also hunt a town forest , but the town has big orange signs up in the parking lots that hunting is allowed , please use caution and recomend you wear blaze orange.

I believe You could obtain the information You seek from Mass Wildlife in Westboro , they write the book on hunting. (508)-792-7270
Bob

Hi Bob,

Yeah I was in F. Gilbert's State Forest. No worries on the dogs, nobody has bothered me there with them.

Overall I look at it as an opportunity to educate and try to involve. Frankly, the squirrel hunting there sucks ass. So I consider it more of a hike and a chance to enjoy the scenery and chat with people. LOL

Thanks for the tip though on the environmental police. That's good to know. I would never confront anybody. I figured that if somebody tried to harass me, I'd call 911 as our beloved mayor here in Boston has recommended. From there I'd have the guilty parties arrested and charged.

Hi Bob,

Yeah I was in F. Gilbert's State Forest. No worries on the dogs, nobody has bothered me there with them.

Overall I look at it as an opportunity to educate and try to involve. Frankly, the squirrel hunting there sucks ass. So I consider it more of a hike and a chance to enjoy the scenery and chat with people. LOL

Thanks for the tip though on the environmental police. That's good to know. I would never confront anybody. I figured that if somebody tried to harass me, I'd call 911 as our beloved mayor here in Boston has recommended. From there I'd have the guilty parties arrested and charged.

Hi Jim
Personally I think calling 911 would be a big mistake ,
Picture several local yocal's show up , find a tax paying soccer mom with kids and a barking doggy , and You from out of town , carrying a gun , who presents the greatest risk here ?
the doggy ? [hmmm]
You would be spending the next couple of hours explaining Your right to be in that woods , own , and be carrying that shotgun.
Just think if it was a Black Powder Rifle and You do not posess a FID. try to explain that to Him.
There are other New England Forums that this has been discused on with personal examples .Such coming out of the woods to 3 police cars ( there are men with guns in there ) and being handcuffed while they check your lic. and id's.
I have also met with and attended meetings where Jim Hanlon ( the director of the Mass. Enviromental Police ) was a guest speaker. and He has discussed hunter harassement and how to deal with it.

Bob

I'm with Bob here, EPS is TRAINED in hunting laws. Your Local PD is NOT trained in hunting laws and is more likely to assume "gun" = bad!

Don't dial 911, dial EPS and let them handle it properly.

I'll defer to the EPO's any day of the week.
As for the forests, Myles Standish is marked and the signs state that all the trails are closed except for Sunday and maybe holidays?. I see people walking their dogs and warn them that they shouldn't be in there. Some take the advice, some idiots ignore it.

bob what other new england forum are you talking about? not looking to leave this fine one but looking for other info.

They don't close the trails down in Foxboro. Why do they do that in Myles Standish?

Seems to me that scares people unnecessarily. Good hunters aren't a danger to anybody.

I'll defer to the EPO's any day of the week.
As for the forests, Myles Standish is marked and the signs state that all the trails are closed except for Sunday and maybe holidays?. I see people walking their dogs and warn them that they shouldn't be in there. Some take the advice, some idiots ignore it.

so i was hunting and the guy walked /. ran his 2 german shepards by me and really ruined my 5 hour hunt. what a fing ahole. i went back this morning to go hunting and someone had tried to cut my chain on the stand but i put a big chain and lock on it. they couldnt do that so they stole my ratchet ties. i fing hate people who screw with stuff. might be my own fault as people have told me its not hunter friendly. and had their stuff stolen. i might hafta just go out there and walk around during shotgun season. pisses me off. if i see him again im gonna try and talk wiht him and expalin what he is doing is illegal . not mention about the stolen stuff but inform him of his violation. what a prick. where else can i get info on ma hunting forums?

I am not sure if there are other hunting forums for MA, Bigbear.

Sorry to hear about your stuff, that sucks.

so i was hunting and the guy walked /. ran his 2 german shepards by me and really ruined my 5 hour hunt. what a fing ahole. i went back this morning to go hunting and someone had tried to cut my chain on the stand but i put a big chain and lock on it. they couldnt do that so they stole my ratchet ties. i fing hate people who screw with stuff. might be my own fault as people have told me its not hunter friendly. and had their stuff stolen. i might hafta just go out there and walk around during shotgun season. pisses me off. if i see him again im gonna try and talk wiht him and expalin what he is doing is illegal . not mention about the stolen stuff but inform him of his violation. what a prick. where else can i get info on ma hunting forums?

www.huntingchat.net ( thats how I found about this great site )
Bob

They don't close the trails down in Foxboro. Why do they do that in Myles Standish?

Seems to me that scares people unnecessarily. Good hunters aren't a danger to anybody.
Common sense maybe?
It's not safe to be walking through the woods during hunting season. The trails are intertwined throughout the forest.
Tell ya what, Jim. I dare ya to go walk your dog through any of the open hunting areas during deer week (no orange allowed).

No, I don't blame them for that. I just never saw many squirrels in there at all, anywhere I went. It's quite odd but that place just doesn't seem to have many of them at all.

I'm only a few miles away and there's about 15 acres behind my house. Squirrels are ALL over my yard.

Damn you Scrivener! You're hoarding the squirrels!!!! Set them free now or I'll report you to PETA!!!!!

[angry2] [wink]

I'd love to see tons of them in the forest but I'll be damned if I see any. I've seen an occasional one but nowhere near as many as I've seen down in Norton. Maybe I just haven't found the right spots then? [thinking]

I'm only a few miles away and there's about 15 acres behind my house. Squirrels are ALL over my yard.

Sure, no problem. I'll put a loud bell on him. No need for orange, they'll hear him a mile away. [laugh]

Safe? Well I disagree with that. If it's not safe then that means somebody isn't hunting properly and should be removed from the woods. There's no reason why hunters who are obeying the law and rules should endanger anyone at all.

Common sense maybe?
It's not safe to be walking through the woods during hunting season. The trails are intertwined throughout the forest.
Tell ya what, Jim. I dare ya to go walk your dog through any of the open hunting areas during deer week (no orange allowed).

Sure, no problem. I'll put a loud bell on him. No need for orange, they'll hear him a mile away. [laugh]

Safe? Well I disagree with that. If it's not safe then that means somebody isn't hunting properly and should be removed from the woods. There's no reason why hunters who are obeying the law and rules should endanger anyone at all.

So do you think it would be prudent for Mrs. Smith to take her Cub Scout Troop into prime deer territory for a hike on opening day?

Unfortunately accidents happen. Why push the odds? To be hiking or running your dogs in the woods during hunting season is just plain STUPID. Close the trails so the hunters can have their chance at communing with nature and not worry have to about an avoidable accident.

Well hunting season has been open for a while now and nobody has been shot down in Foxboro and they haven't closed the trails or anything like that.

Other parks haven't either so I don't think it's as simple as you say.

Would I encourage people to wander around in camo, making deer noises. Um...no...but you seem to have an idea that hunters are dangerous and must be isolated away from others in order to hunt and I don't agree with that.

And you are also painting with a broad brush, throwing squirrel/pheasant/other hunters in with deer hunters, etc.

So do you think it would be prudent for Mrs. Smith to take her Cub Scout Troop into prime deer territory for a hike on opening day?

Unfortunately accidents happen. Why push the odds? To be hiking or running your dogs in the woods during hunting season is just plain STUPID. Close the trails so the hunters can have their chance at communing with nature and not worry have to about an avoidable accident.

I remember since I was a kid that you stay out of the woods during hunting season. Sure, it sucks, but that is just the way it is and it doesn't last long anyhow.

...and never wear brown with a white handkerchief in your back pocket.

(Does the handkerchief indicate what a dinosaur I am?)

another thing is that the weather has actually been kind of nice so whereas most people would normally not go just because it would usually be too cold. But since it's warm people are venturing out into those areas with thier children too probably nor realizing that people are hunting there until they see you.

Well hunting season has been open for a while now and nobody has been shot down in Foxboro and they haven't closed the trails or anything like that.

Other parks haven't either so I don't think it's as simple as you say.

Would I encourage people to wander around in camo, making deer noises. Um...no...but you seem to have an idea that hunters are dangerous and must be isolated away from others in order to hunt and I don't agree with that.

And you are also painting with a broad brush, throwing squirrel/pheasant/other hunters in with deer hunters, etc.
I never said or implied that hunters are dangerous but it is dangerous to be in the woods frolicking around during hunting season. Again, 2 simple words, common sense.
As for the "broad brush", hunters=people with firearms in the woods looking for game. That broad brush statement really perplexed me[thinking]
I guess we're beating a dead horse...

Back
Top Bottom