FREE. Home orchard design workshop & Veggie garden classes

mousegunguy

NES Member
Some of you may have seen a few of the classe I’ve offers up at Farmer Matt’s like veggie seed saving, foraging, preserving your harvest without electricity and the pruning class.
This year we’re gonna step it up and have an educational garden.
To start there will be free workshop on home orchard installation and design. We will do demo plantings for a bunch of different fruit trees and talk about fruit varieties, rootstocks, spacing, pollination training and more.
We will also be giving away a pair of chestnut trees to the first 10 people who preregister at Farmer Matt’s website.
The planting workshop will be at 10:30 am on Sunday May 1.
As the summer progresses I’m planning to offer a wide variety of garden oriented workshops showing you what you’ll need to be doing in your own garden at home.
The classes will be a week or two ahead of the season so you can be prepared.
We’ll talk about garden placement, styles, tools, hot & cold frames, composting, organic fertilizing, season extenders, fencing, seed sources, seed starting, spacing and trellising, insects and organic control, how & when to harvest and store, putting the garden to bed and a ton more stuff.
Everything you’ll need to know to succeed in growing your own food.
I hope to see a few of you there. Please pass along this info to friends who may benefit from it.
Thanx, Rich
Here’s the link to pre register

Last edited:
And I just put in an order for a bunch of trees (all the good places were sold out for the year)

Qty Ordered
Item Number
Item Description
Ship Date Estimate
2​
08571​
MULBERRY 18-24"/2​
05/12/22-05/26/22​
2​
08715​
HAZELNUT 1- 1 1/2'​
05/19/22-06/02/22​
2​
13133​
NATIVE PLUM 2-3'​
04/25/22-05/09/22​
2​
13323​
BUTTERNUT 1- 1 1/2'​
05/19/22-06/02/22​
1​
67007​
GURNEY'S [R] T-I-M-E-D FERTILIZER TABS​
05/02/22-05/16/22​
1​
84350​
FIG HARDY CHICAGO​
04/25/22-05/09/22​

And I just put in an order for a bunch of trees (all the good places were sold out for the year)

Qty Ordered
Item Number
Item Description
Ship Date Estimate
2​
08571​
MULBERRY 18-24"/2​
05/12/22-05/26/22​
2​
08715​
HAZELNUT 1- 1 1/2'​
05/19/22-06/02/22​
2​
13133​
NATIVE PLUM 2-3'​
04/25/22-05/09/22​
2​
13323​
BUTTERNUT 1- 1 1/2'​
05/19/22-06/02/22​
1​
67007​
GURNEY'S [R] T-I-M-E-D FERTILIZER TABS​
05/02/22-05/16/22​
1​
84350​
FIG HARDY CHICAGO​
04/25/22-05/09/22​
Perfect timing!!

Nice, free class , when i get home tommorow ill sign up 4 it, if there any room left , i got all the potato seed you gave me planted down in my garden now,let hope lot of potato this october. Ill bring ya vietnamese coffee and a saw if we meet up next time.

Attachments

• 20220423_084959.jpg
    20220423_084959.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 5
Nice, free class , when i get home tommorow ill sign up 4 it, if there any room left , i got all the potato seed you gave me planted down in my garden now,let hope lot of potato this october. Ill bring ya vietnamese coffee and a saw if we meet up next time.
Nice! I’m a coffee addict!!
I’ll be putting those same prolifically producing, partially perennial, purple Peruvian potatoes in at the new education garden at Farmer Matt’s sometime next week.
They’ve been feeding me since 1996!

Rich, you should start a Youtube channel. Those classes are all very timely and informative subjects.

Late to the party, as usual 😂

I hope everyone enjoyed and learned something.

Anybody willing to part with some bouquets** of Prunus Domesticas so I can see if that's why mine isn't bearing fruit?

Fairly certain this is a European Plum, but no fruit. Some guy I met at tree pruning class suggested finding someone with a plum tree and trading some flowers for the bees to work with.

Screenshot_20220501-152719_Gallery.jpg

** Once they start flowering, of course

Yes Rich, that was a great, hands on seminar.
How many people showed up from N.E.S.?
I would imagine that people must have gotten word of the seminar from other parts of the internet also.

Yes Rich, that was a great, hands on seminar.
How many people showed up from N.E.S.?
I would imagine that people must have gotten word of the seminar from other parts of the internet also.
Lots of NESer! Maybe next time we can do an open carry garden workshop?
Ya know, in case there’s a woodchuck!

We also advertised in the local paper, by word of mouth and on Facebook.
If you have any other ideas as to where to advertise I’d love to hear em?

No, I don't. NES, zerohedge and youtube are about the only places that I hang around on the internet.
But I would think that there must be a North East Gardeners forum, or something along those lines.

Lots of NESer! Maybe next time we can do an open carry garden workshop?
Ya know, in case there’s a woodchuck!

We also advertised in the local paper, by word of mouth and on Facebook.

Monadnock Rod and Gun used to host a sort of self reliance day, vendors or just people with something to teach would come and talk, show and tell...

I'm not recalling any names of those, except for "John" [laugh] but I wonder if some other club might host such an event?

Bring tons of business cards, and if I may be so bold, try to get them printed on wood!

I hope y’all come back on the May 8th for the first in the series of the ‘diggers’ workshops for beginning and intermediate gardners.
We’ll have classes every 2nd and 4th Sunday from 10:30-? (I almost always run long) on a specific gardening skill and then spend some time in the garden (weather permitting) doin what needs to be done so you'll know how to go home and do the same.
The tentative schedule is…..
5/8- We’ll be discussing garden siting, fencing styles, garden hand tool (& how to use em)
Preparing a garden bed and Planting early crops like peas, potatoes, parsnips, carrots
5/22- seed starting in/outside
Spacing, depth, h2o..
Transplanting tenders
6/12- herbs Essential for the garden
6/26-composting to feed your
garden. Trellising and
supports
7/10- insect ID and organic control
7/24- odd ball edibles & possibly a
Foragers walk
8/14- hot/cold frames, season
extension
8/28-when to harvest, how to cure
& how to store your bounty
without electricity
9/11- saving veggie seed correctly
9/25- garlic/shallot planting and
Putting the garden to bed
And probably a seed swap
just for fun

Lots of opportunities for hands in experience.

If you’ve been to one of my workshops and feel they’re worthwhile I’d really appreciate you passing in this info to any folks you know who may benefit from it

Pricing will be $20 per individual class. If you pre pay in advance it’ll be $170 for all 10, or $90 for 5 classes.
You should save more than that not buying food at the grocery store.

I had a great time. I learned so much that I didn't know I didn't know, lol. I have been chatting everyone's ears off at home and at work. My daughter wants to know if you are going to write a book. Rich you are a wealth of knowledge and I sincerely appreciate the sharing of that knowledge.

I had a great time. I learned so much that I didn't know I didn't know, lol. I have been chatting everyone's ears off at home and at work. My daughter wants to know if you are going to write a book. Rich you are a wealth of knowledge and I sincerely appreciate the sharing of that knowledge.
Wow! High praises!
Thank you!

A question. I'm the guy with the single white plum tree, desperately seeking a mate. (No fruit because no other plum trees nearby, I think).

Would this help and self cross pollinate itself, too?

A question. I'm the guy with the single white plum tree, desperately seeking a mate. (No fruit because no other plum trees nearby, I think).

Would this help and self cross pollinate itself, too?

I think most European plums are at least partly self fertile but the more the merrier.
I may have asked already but do you get fruitlets that all fall off the tree?

Excellent!!!
Are you planting the fig in the ground or in a pot?
One harvest a year in the ground vs two harvests a year in the pot.
In a pot (now have two)
Not sure what to do with it in the winter
Should I keep it in my sunroom (north side of the house) or wrap it and put it in the basement?

Can't thank you enough - the chestnuts look great

In a pot (now have two)
Not sure what to do with it in the winter
Should I keep it in my sunroom (north side of the house) or wrap it and put it in the basement?

Can't thank you enough - the chestnuts look great
If you can give it lots of sun and the leaves don’t drop off it’ll stay awake thru the winter and double crop for you.
If the leaves do drop it’s NOT dead. It’s just dormant like an oak tree in the winter.
Keep it cool (not below freezing) and don’t let it dry out. When the buds swell in the spring give it sun and warmth and it’ll leaf out again

You’re very welcome!

Back
Top Bottom