• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Free state house question.

So a relative has passed and has left me their house in a free state, it's in a nice area and it's affordable for me to keep.

I currently reside in a rented room in MA close to my job, I get paid well and cannot work remote full time. My ltc is here in MA.

Is it possible to create a dual citizenship arrangement for what is effectively a vacation home, but also the only home I own without changing all my MA stuff? Ideally I'd like to be able to buy a non-roster handgun but not lose my ability to carry 99% of the time when I'm in the state.

Ideally I'd like to be able to buy a non-roster handgun but not lose my ability to carry 99% of the time when I'm in the state.
No offense, I swear lol. But you've been a member since 2015 and still don't know how to acquire offlist handguns and don't know that you can legally own/carry offlist handguns in MA?

One of the things that I'd be buying in free states would be suppressors as those are impossible to own in MA without a FFL.

No offense, I swear lol. But you've been a member since 2015 and still don't know how to acquire offlist handguns and don't know that you can legally own/carry offlist handguns in MA?
I have plenty of off roster, but some are harder to get than others. For instance, I wouldn't mind a Bond Bullpup, nor would I mind a Mossberg Shockwave.

I'm also aware I can carry anything once it's in my possession, that isn't the question. The question is about residency and having to give up my MA license if I want to exercise my free state options.

Maybe someone else can weigh in but why not make the free state your new home address, get yourself a non-resident LTC, buy whatever you want in your free state, and have fun? No laws broken I think and the tax man gets his taxes.

So a relative has passed and has left me their house in a free state, it's in a nice area and it's affordable for me to keep.

I currently reside in a rented room in MA close to my job, I get paid well and cannot work remote full time. My ltc is here in MA.

Is it possible to create a dual citizenship arrangement for what is effectively a vacation home, but also the only home I own without changing all my MA stuff? Ideally I'd like to be able to buy a non-roster handgun but not lose my ability to carry 99% of the time when I'm in the state.
Yes.

The ATF recognizes multiple residencies. When you're at your other property, you are residing - that is you're making a home there. You'll need two things to shop in your other state: proof of residence (e.g. tax bill) and a shop that know how to read the instructions on the 4473.

Search for dual residence on here and you should find more

it's called dual residence.
yes, you can keep your MA LTC if you maintain a residence here.
In the other state you can buy what you want and as long as it's not post ban high cap mags you can carry it in MA.

I have plenty of off roster, but some are harder to get than others. For instance, I wouldn't mind a Bond Bullpup, nor would I mind a Mossberg Shockwave.

I'm also aware I can carry anything once it's in my possession, that isn't the question. The question is about residency and having to give up my MA license if I want to exercise my free state options.
If I could find a Bond Bullpup in stock online (I haven't looked) I could have it shipped to a dealer in MA and pay $50 transfer fee and walk out the door.
I believe the same could be done with the Shockwave (assuming not the 18.5" barrel model). Buy online ship to dealer, pay $50 transfer and leave.

The 18.5" models are plentiful of course

Think about it:
If a doctor living in a Mass mansion buys a vacation condo in Florida,
you don't think they go through all that crap just to get licensed down there, do you?

Before coming into possession, it’s better to ensure the house is worth it. Maybe it’s better to sell it and not bother.
Some houses look nice but have multiple internal flaws that would take thousands of dollars to repair and maintain. I would order an RICS Home Survey Level 2 report before having anything to do with the house to see what it’s worth and how much repairing the house would cost. If the repair costs are too high, I would not want to lose time and money on this house and sell it to somebody who wants. Real estate can be really needy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom